• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008 edited
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

First Listen. My first new Horner for ages. I didn´t see the movie, but this already sounds like a door into another time, back to early Horner scores. VERY interesting.

Edit: Halfway through, I find it exhausting to listen to at times. It really sounds as if Horner had updated his style from the 80ies by adding twenty years of experience. Of his experience, that is. There are some changes and adjusments, but overall, this is one of his typical fantasy scores from a different time long ago. Great if you´re in the mood for it.

Edit: Can someone who saw the movie inform me whether there is any story relation to Troy? I can´t believe he put that in here...

Final Edit: Phew.... it´s been a long time since I had to fight the urge to stop a Horner score from playing. Yeah, the second half is slightly more thematic, but overall, it´s just a lot of noise. Classic, still lovable noise, but somehow I expected something more advanced than a step back to old times. I don´t see myself listening to this again any time soon. Maybe if I need something for an RPG session, but there is a LOT of better stuff for that kind of background noise out there.

Verdict: If I want to listen to stuff like this, I have much older and better scores from him already. When I started listening, I began to expect something really great, but it just never came.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008
    Ralph, have you heard BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS? That's even more beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. TERENCE BLANCHARD - A Tale of God's Wil (a Requiem for Katrina)

This heartfelt gem brings a tear to my eyes, each and every time.

Yeah I love this too Demetris, it's gorgeous. cool
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph, have you heard BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS? That's even more beautiful.

Are you being ironic or something like that? I didn´t say I found TSC beautiful, that would be the last thing I´d say about it, as a matter of fact. Interesting, yes. Beautiful, no.

But no, I haven´t heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS is beautiful though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Warriors Of Earth and Heaven - A.R Rahman

One of his few scores which has had a release. I love this one! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

Horner really excels at these small intimate family dramas and this is a fantastic example of such scoring. Gorgeous stuff.

Up next: The Spitfire Grill

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS is beautiful though wink

Sacharineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

NP:Bolt (Powell)

The main theme is addictive. But the overall score uses Powell tricks too much , with this action tracks using Cody banks or Italian Job electronics in the background.

Horton and Hanckok are far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more original and inventive!

PS: i hate this Randy newman moments in Bolt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Cars - Randy Newman

I love this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

I want whatever he is smoking cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

The main theme is addictive. But the overall score uses Powell tricks too much , with this action tracks using Cody banks or Italian Job electronics in the background.

Interesting... a composer finds a voice - something that you use in your arguments all the time - uses it and yet you still piss on him. dizzy

I find Bolt to be highly entertaining. Powell again has delivered the goods this year. Probably the most consistent composer, in terms of quality, working in Hollywood today.

BTW, Horton and Hancock are both excellent scores as well. Horton is a hoot and Powell created a magnificent modern day superhero score with Hancock - a score with an unexpected emotional and dramatic punch.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Interesting... a composer finds a voice - something that you use in your arguments all the time - uses it and yet you still piss on him. dizzy

-Erik-

Powell has a very strong voice. I always said that. Even if his influences goes from Elfman to Arnold, but modeling into his own sound.

I just say, Bolt , sometimes, sounds like a very old fashioned Pixar scores (Newman.)

About the Composer's own voice...is one of things I appreciate most. Sometimes I can't listen enjoyable scores only because it lacks of personality (Example: mantsell's sahara). I prefer a composer who I dislike but at least he has an strong personality (Example: thomas newman).

Talking about personality...The exeption wich confirms the rule, John Debney. A composer with a lot of "identities" wich has became his "identity" dizzy

NP:The stonning of Soraya (Debney)

I think Demetris will love this score tongue tongue biggrin

All the BHD influences here. Another winner from Debney, Mind Blowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

First Listen. My first new Horner for ages. I didn´t see the movie, but this already sounds like a door into another time, back to early Horner scores. VERY interesting.

I don´t see myself listening to this again any time soon.

Wow, the creepy coincidences of MT continue. Yesterday was my first listen of Spiderwyck Chronicles too!!!

But I'm detecting a whole lot more potential in that score than you seem to. I think that listening to this again soon is the only way a new listener can really pick apart all the melodies of this score. Again and again. Sure it may not be heavily thematic, but it is melodic. I can already imagine how wonderful this score will be once I know it all by heart.

NP: Deathstalker II, Chuck Cirino
    Who the hell is this guy?!? How did he come up with such an unabashedly FUN score?!?? A true guilty pleasure if ever there was one. I'm gonna need to keep my eye on all upcoming BSX releases by this composer, as I'm guessing there will be more.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I want whatever he is smoking cool

What? a pipe full of dried amazonian tree frog skins!?? wink

NP : STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE - John Williams

Possibly the least of his Star Wars scores for me but even so the majority of film composers working now would cut one of they're arms off to write half as good as this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Phantom Menace is the worst SW score for you? I'd say Attack of the Clones, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Phantom Menace is the worst SW score for you? I'd say Attack of the Clones, I think.

I'm with you on that one. I think Phantom is Williams' best prequel score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. John Barry - You Only Live Twice

Great Bond score. Just classy. And the Japanese theme belongs to Barry's VERY best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Valkyrie - John Ottman

One of the composers best. Up there with the likes of The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil and Incognito. It's easily his most mature score to date. The Elegy heard in "Long Live Sacred Germany" is outstanding. One of the stand cues of the year! There are some influences from John Williams' Munich... mainly the pulsating electronic looping beat heard over some of the more suspenseful and atmospheric moments of the score - not really anything distracting but you can clearly hear where that device came from. I really like this score. It starts off with a bang, whimpers a bit through the middle portions but reaches a perfect emotional climax right at the end. A satisfying listen.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    PALESTRINA Is polyphony.

He sure is. shame

And beautiful too. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Phantom Menace is the worst SW score for you? I'd say Attack of the Clones, I think.

-Erik-

Absolutely. I don't want what Timmer's smoking! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

One of the composers best. Up there with the likes of The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil and Incognito. It's easily his most mature score to date.

Now THAT's what I like to hear.
    I'm pleasantly surprised each time I switch on Apt Pupil , and have a hard time reconciling it with his more fluffy works. Looking forward to sampling this one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

-Erik-

I agree, although I think ROTS has the best overall cue (General Grevious). punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PALESTRINA Is polyphony.

He sure is. shame

And beautiful too. smile

Glad you liked it, want more? angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hell yeah. I *love* Renaissance poliphonic chanting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet. Right onto it wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

-Erik-

Absolutely. I don't want what Timmer's smoking! dizzy

I still think it's a GREAT score! Can I go now? slant wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Fantasy at the Movies Erik Woods

Fookin' awesome music.

Totally agree!
    A great selection of music! punk

Ah. For a second there I thought Steven was actually talking about music written by Erik. LOL biggrin
  4. Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

One of the composers best. Up there with the likes of The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil and Incognito. It's easily his most mature score to date.

Now THAT's what I like to hear.
    I'm pleasantly surprised each time I switch on Apt Pupil , and have a hard time reconciling it with his more fluffy works. Looking forward to sampling this one!

Me too. I've been hoping this would be the work that re-engages me with his music. Sounds like it very well could be.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    William wrote
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Fantasy at the Movies Erik Woods

Fookin' awesome music.

Totally agree!
    A great selection of music! punk

Ah. For a second there I thought Steven was actually talking about music written by Erik. LOL biggrin

I wish! I think he is talking about THIS!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    @ The Spiderwick Chronicles

HeeroJF wrote
    But I'm detecting a whole lot more potential in that score than you seem to. I think that listening to this again soon is the only way a new listener can really pick apart all the melodies of this score. Again and again. Sure it may not be heavily thematic, but it is melodic. I can already imagine how wonderful this score will be once I know it all by heart.

You´re possibly right, but I don´t think I´m ready to invest that much time in a score that has so few new things to offer. I find Horner´s earlier fantasy work much more accessable and likable. I don´t know, maybe I´ll give it two or three more spins this week and we´ll talk again later, but I don´t see my opinion change. Much.