• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Tintin wrote
    Tim, did they remix this one? Is the sound cleaner than the older CD release? More material?

Afraid I can't help you there pal, I never had the old CD release, mine was a CDR made from my LP.

I'm very thankful to Universal fr for this though, it sounds brilliant.

EDIT TO ADD :

What is the running time on the old CD Martin? This new one runs at 54 minutes, I don't remember the LP being much more than 40 minutes!?

14 tracks- a bit more than 45 minutes.

The Tale of Despereaux William Ross

This is an excellent score. It has all the right elements of film scoring I like. It has some rousing epic and action scoring that is melodic. What can we ask for more? Sometimes it is touching, sometimes noble and melancholic, frightening or comic. Surprisingly, considering this is the story of a mouse, there is not too much mickey mousing- to Demetris' relief! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

So LOUD!! Not as good as Judge Dredd, but just as enjoyable.

punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

You have to be in the right mood (Like it happens with some other scores like Horton) to appreciate this eclectic mix of styles....but this score is sublime. The way how he arranges very theme motif and orchestrations.

The "noble" theme is very touching.

SPEED RACER is pretty much a kick ass score. You have to be in the mood indeed but when you are, it's so enjoyable!

punk This score is great! I couldn't have been happier with it.

NP: Bolt - John Powell

Excellent score. I would have enjoyed a longer release.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

punk

It's certainly one of the more enjoyable recent scores I've bought. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU - Philippe Sarde

AKA QUEST FOR FIRE, one of my favourite Sarde scores, a primitive sounding rawness to this that get's my imaginative juices flowing, this is right up there with Mario Nascimbene's One Million Years BC and Benjamin Bartlett's Walking With Dinosaurs / Beasts as being definitive in creating a sound for pre-history.

And that opening track, Creation of Fire for LSO and choir never fails to send goose pimples up and down my spine.....marvelous! cool

Martin, It's 17 tracks on this one and at the moment I can't get enough of it.

NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU - Philippe Sarde

The bones of this score has real meat on em, something to really tuck into....brilliant!! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Tim, this Sarde score is one that I'm definitely thinking of getting. Might be one of my first purchases of 2009...I'm reluctant to order stuff that will ship over the holiday period.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, this Sarde score is one that I'm definitely thinking of getting. Might be one of my first purchases of 2009...I'm reluctant to order stuff that will ship over the holiday period.

Wise you are!

I'd leave it till after the holiday period.
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, this Sarde score is one that I'm definitely thinking of getting. Might be one of my first purchases of 2009...I'm reluctant to order stuff that will ship over the holiday period.

Wise you are!

I'd leave it till after the holiday period.

Unfortunately, I see that SAE now have the recent Prometheus releases in stock and these may ship soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Tintin wrote
    The Tale of Despereaux William Ross

This is an excellent score. It has all the right elements of film scoring I like. It has some rousing epic and action scoring that is melodic. What can we ask for more? Sometimes it is touching, sometimes noble and melancholic, frightening or comic. Surprisingly, considering this is the story of a mouse, there is not too much mickey mousing- to Demetris' relief! wink

I can't wait to get this one!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

Gorgeous!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Hairspray - Marc Shaiman

You can't stop the beat!!!

biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

punk

It's certainly one of the more enjoyable recent scores I've bought. beer

Indeed; same goes for JUDGE DREDD, big-ass music.

Looking forward for the new William Ross cd, he's such a talented artist.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

Gorgeous!! punk

As every other McKenzie score out there. SUCH an underrated compose, glad you liked it punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And I was lucky enough to talk with him at Facebook! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't have any McKenzie scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I only have Blizzard and Durango currently, which I love!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

The Ultimate Gift, Saving Sarah Cain, In from the Night, Silver Bells, Blizzard and Durango are very, very melodic and beautiful in parts. Same goes for The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Dark Blue Almost Black (AzulOscuroCasiNegro) - Pascal Gaigne

After requesting all the tracks over and over at SST, I finally bought it. Beautiful! lick
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

The Ultimate Gift, Saving Sarah Cain, In from the Night, Silver Bells, Blizzard and Durango are very, very melodic and beautiful in parts. Same goes for The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca.

punk x 537
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Mummy 3 (John Debney)

32 minuts of pure Dynamite!

"main title ride" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Hell yeah! punk

Nautilus wrote

Indeed, biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mulan (promo) - Jerry Goldsmith

Terrific stuff! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Mulan (promo) - Jerry Goldsmith

Terrific stuff! punk

The promo is fantastic! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hell yeah! punk

Nautilus wrote

Indeed, biggrin

It's like a Debney's own cd. I mean...32 minutes long (almost like Scorpion King), a main title, all the climax music from the end of the movie, Asiatic elements, action music and the "journey" music.

It's like a score a whole score in his own.

"shangry.revaled" and "yeti to the rescue" punk punk

Debney has gave us 2 christmas presents : Soraya and Mummy 3. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner

Despite owning this for many years ( decades actually shocked ) this and Trek's I & III is one of my most played film scores this year.....utterly BRILLIANT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

Not necessarily my kind of score, though Bella's Lullaby is gorgeous! punk
  3. Steven wrote

Durango is fantastic. I would start with that.
    My next favorite McKenzie score is The Last Sin Eater, which not many talk about. It's wonderful, and contains some fantastic themes, some nice soft music with fan flutes, some really dramatic and moving pieces (including McKenzie's own take on Barber's Adagio), and some soaring and hopeful music at the end.
    Blizzard is excellent if you can get it.
    The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca contains what is probably my favorite theme (not the main theme from this one, but a secondary theme) that he has written. It's a gorgeous album.

I haven't yet found any of McKenzie's scores that approach the quality of those four. Saving Sarah Caine was my most recent purchase of his and it was really slow and quiet and didn't really have that same thematic power that the previously mentioned ones have.

There's my two cents.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON THE BEACH - Christopher Gordon

Exceptional work, this man should be working A-list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote

I support all the great recommendations made by others, putting a STRONG emphasis on The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca.

But also fantastic scores are Frank and Jesse. Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde and Warlock: The Armageddon.

Not nearly as exciting as you might think, however, is Dragonheart: A New Beginning. That one strikes me as a missed opportunity. Could've easily been McKenzie's very best, but as often as I've listened to it I still find myself ungripped by it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cheers for all the McKenzie recommendations! I'll certainly look into it methinks.