• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    I try to limit it down biggrin shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah right! rolleyes

but I wouldn't have it any other way kiss beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    JOHN DEBNEY - the stoning of Soraya M.

A good score, a satisfying listening experience, well-built and with surprisingly strong thematic material. The use of instrumentation (duduk and female vocals) as well as the arrangements will always send to the far superior PASSION OF THE CHRIST though, a score the stoning of Soraya M is bound to crawl under.
  1. Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)

I like this for the brilliant themes, but otherwise this is very restrained scoring from the master, I like it though, but it's not one I put on regularly. The Patton theme as well as the german theme though are top notch, but I think the score is too short so it's already over by the time the score has developed into something interesting. I prefer his thematically rich stuff from a decade later on.

3.5 STARS

The Twins Effect (Chan Kwong Wing)

This score for the Hong Kong action film is like a mix of different styles of music all tucked together. Light jazz, piano music, techno tunes and conventional thematic writing, there's even a cue which accompanies a cell phone call. Consistency is hard to find here, but there are some great tracks, especially those with choir and which have a certain gothic feel to them. If the whole score could have been like those tracks this would have been truly awesome.

3.5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

A good score, a satisfying listening experience, well-built and with surprisingly strong thematic material. The use of duduk and female vocals will always send to PASSION OF THE CHRIST though, a far superior score the stoning of Soraya M is bound to crawl under.

What about track 16, "The Stoning of Soraya M."?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played today:

E Ridendo L'uccise by Ennio Morricone

very nice renaissance-flavoured music with the additional choir, another gem from the Maestro

Band of Brothers by Michael Kamen

I bought this on some board members' suggestion but I couldn't finish my first listening because I had to come to work. So far: the first four cues are great, the following five haven't had much impression on me. I will continue listening to it later on
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Timeline (rejected) - Jerry Goldsmith

Man, why was this rejected?! It's amazing! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Tale of Despereaux - William Ross

Easily one of my favorite scores! Charming, action-packed, and exciting with a couple very good themes! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah right! rolleyes

but I wouldn't have it any other way kiss beer

Welllll, maybe sometimes... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

A good score, a satisfying listening experience, well-built and with surprisingly strong thematic material. The use of duduk and female vocals will always send to PASSION OF THE CHRIST though, a far superior score the stoning of Soraya M is bound to crawl under.

What about track 16, "The Stoning of Soraya M."?

Falls in the same category imo. I've heard the entire score 5 times today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Valkyrie - John Ottman

My second go at it and it confirms my initial assessment of the score. It's really, really, REALLY good. Top 10 of the year? Maybe. It's a long score and while things to slow down considerably in the middle of the album Ottman does enough for you to keep listening on. And you are rewarded at the end of the score with one of the best cues of the year "Long Live Sacred Germany."

This is probably my biggest surprise of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Earlier I played...

HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

If scores were physiques this one would be Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime, a seriously great and muscular score.

NP : THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS - John Barry

Gorgeously deep resonating orchestration, a true joy from beginning to end cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)

I like this for the brilliant themes, but otherwise this is very restrained scoring from the master, I like it though, but it's not one I put on regularly. The Patton theme as well as the german theme though are top notch, but I think the score is too short so it's already over by the time the score has developed into something interesting. I prefer his thematically rich stuff from a decade later on.

3.5 STARS

This is as 5-star as they get in my book. "German March" (aka "Winter March") is one of those pieces which is just heavenly to me; and of course the main theme is another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)

3.5 STARS

This is as 5-star as they get in my book. "German March" (aka "Winter March") is one of those pieces which is just heavenly to me; and of course the main theme is another.

I think it's a Goldsmith classic. So well spotted in the film, less is more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck it...

Patton Jerry Goldsmith

cool <- George C. Scott
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love George C. Scott.
    I love Jerry Goldsmith
    I love his score for Patton.

(I also love cheese, but that would be off-topic.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It seems we have at least four things in common then. In true MT fashion, I think we should now discuss cheese.

And now for something completely different...

Hoosiers Jerry Goldsmith

It isn't George C. Scott, it isn't Patton, but it is Goldsmith and cheese. And I LOVE IT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Stoning - John Debney

YAWN.

Agree. Even the "Imagine I Composed It" trick didn't work.
  2. Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

On CD finally.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)

3.5 STARS

Patton is the definition of a 5 star score!

Southall wrote

YAWN.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up well. The sneak peak cues on Debney's site shows potential. But the full album is tiresome. The three best cues are the last three tracks. It's one of his better dramatic works but doesn't come close to Passion or Dragonfly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And the opening titles are quite good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN DEBNEY - Mummy 3 promo

Far more enjoyable than Edelman's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

Fun score with lots of good moments, short as they may be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN OTTMAN - Valkyrie

I am listening to the opening titles right now "They'll Remember You" and i am deeply impressed; at times i looked at the winamp player to check if something by Ottman was actually playing. Well done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)

3.5 STARS

Patton is the definition of a 5 star score!

Southall wrote

YAWN.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up well. The sneak peak cues on Debney's site shows potential. But the full album is tiresome. The three best cues are the last three tracks. It's one of his better dramatic works but doesn't come close to Passion or Dragonfly.

-Erik-

Agreed, on all points.
  3. To the admirers of Patton, I get it why you rate it so highly, it's of course Goldsmith doing what he does best, but are you in the possession of some expanded album or something, because I was talking about the 35 minute long one, and while I think it's reasonable, it just doesn't send me soaring to film score heaven. Goldsmith wrote much better in his career. Also, I've never seen the film, so that must be where my ignorance comes from.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    To the admirers of Patton, I get it why you rate it so highly, it's of course Goldsmith doing what he does best, but are you in the possession of some expanded album or something, because I was talking about the 35 minute long one, and while I think it's reasonable, it just doesn't send me soaring to film score heaven. Goldsmith wrote much better in his career. Also, I've never seen the film, so that must be where my ignorance comes from.

It's not for everyone. You are in possession of the full thing, it's a very short score. And all the better for it! It does help to have seen the movie to see how great a score it is.

But the theme can be appreciated regardless of whether you've seen the film or not I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Read James's rather interesting review to get an insight as to why we all love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Goldsmith wrote much better in his career.

Just because it's a 5 star score doesn't mean that Goldsmith never wrote another 5 star score. But Patton is pretty much as perfect of a score that you will ever hear!

-Erik-