• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    NP: Recess - School's Out - Dennis Hannigan

Nothing special but it has some quite enjoyable moments!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Patton (Jerry Goldsmith)

I like this for the brilliant themes, but otherwise this is very restrained scoring from the master, I like it though, but it's not one I put on regularly. The Patton theme as well as the german theme though are top notch, but I think the score is too short so it's already over by the time the score has developed into something interesting. I prefer his thematically rich stuff from a decade later on.

3.5 STARS

This is as 5-star as they get in my book. "German March" (aka "Winter March") is one of those pieces which is just heavenly to me; and of course the main theme is another.

Agree with everyone here who rates this highly, truly one of THE great scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Che - Alberto Iglesias

I think it was Demetris in the other thread who said this one might have a slow-burning effect, taking a while to make an impression on a listener, and I can certainly hear what he means. It's worth the effort though - the echoes of early Goldsmith are a joy to hear, but there's a lot more to it than that. What fine music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country Cliff Eidelman

Some scores make for great music, but aren't necessarily great film music. This is both. Such fine scoring from an unforgivably wasted talent.

In my mind, Giacchino is going up against this, Horner's Wrath of Khan and Goldsmith's Motion Picture. It's probably unfair to expect he'll 'better' any of them, but we can at least hope for something of equal quality.
  1. Southall wrote
    Che - Alberto Iglesias

I think it was Demetris in the other thread who said this one might have a slow-burning effect, taking a while to make an impression on a listener, and I can certainly hear what he means. It's worth the effort though - the echoes of early Goldsmith are a joy to hear, but there's a lot more to it than that. What fine music!

Glad to hear you like it. Definitely the highlight for me among his three recent prestige English language projects (Kite Runner, Constant Gardener, and Che).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: First 3 tracks from Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

I saw Jurassic Park today (for the first time in many years), and I was going to listen to JW score of it, but somehow I clicked PotC 2 playlist on my iTunes dizzy

But I love these 3 tracks biggrin

(of course I'll play Jurassic Park later)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: First 3 tracks from Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

I saw Jurassic Park today (for the first time in many years), and I was going to listen to JW score of it, but somehow I clicked PotC 2 playlist on my iTunes dizzy

But I love these 3 tracks biggrin

(of course I'll play Jurassic Park later)

I like them a lot too! But the CD presentation of the score is quite bad IMO, good pieces were left out and duller underscore was thrown in.

NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

Now this is awesome! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country Cliff Eidelman

Some scores make for great music, but aren't necessarily great film music. This is both. Such fine scoring from an unforgivably wasted talent.

In my mind, Giacchino is going up against this, Horner's Wrath of Khan and Goldsmith's Motion Picture. It's probably unfair to expect he'll 'better' any of them, but we can at least hope for something of equal quality.

Very well said sir. Eidelman deserves a far higher profile.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Powerful spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Che - Alberto Iglesias

Glad to hear you like it. Definitely the highlight for me among his three recent prestige English language projects (Kite Runner, Constant Gardener, and Che).

Very elegant and intellectual works, all three of them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Dark Knight Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

One of my favourites from 2008. I've really come to love the Joker's theme/motif/sound design, I think it's perfect for the film. So unnerving, unsettling, and wonderfully unpleasant. There a certain reverb effect in the bass that really messes with your head if you turn it up loud - literally.
  2. Oh yes, Why So Serious is one of the best pieces of the year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008 edited
    It's an awful piece of music in its own right, away from the context of the film. But once you've seen the film, there's no denying that it just works. And then you learn to love it! Well, I have anyway.

Also, I think it just proves my point about Zimmer. I think of him as an artist first and a composer second. What he may lack in composing skills, he makes up for in artistry. I know I'll get my head bitten off for this, but that's where I stand on the whole Zimmer thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

I'm not crazy about JW, but themes he writes are sooooo memorable and famous and great! Journey To The Island and End Credits are really amazing.
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008
    Miya wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

I'm not crazy about JW, but themes he writes are sooooo memorable and famous and great! Journey To The Island and End Credits are really amazing.
    punk

The real end credits is the tracks incorrectly labeled "Welcome To Jurassic Park" The incorrectly labeled "End Credits" is the concert version of the "Journey To The Island" theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Valkyrie - John Ottman

Woah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Home Alone - John Williams

My first listen of this Christmas season. It's great!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    The Dark Knight Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

One of my favourites from 2008. I've really come to love the Joker's theme/motif/sound design, I think it's perfect for the film. So unnerving, unsettling, and wonderfully unpleasant. There a certain reverb effect in the bass that really messes with your head if you turn it up loud - literally.

Oh yes! punk

On a full blown surround system that reverb thing is insanely cool!

And if you've got the expanded version, check out "We Are Tonight's Entertainment" at 1:54. I love that...noise. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Dark Blue Almost Black - Pascal Gaigne

I realized that I tend to like scores with "tripping" sound of strings (is called pizzicato, right?). This, Spanglish, As Good As It Gets, Thomas Newman scores, etc... cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Fury - John Williams

First Listen. Amazing!! punk
  3. DANCES WITH WOLVES (JOHN BARRY)

Been a while... But what a majestic score. DWW is essentially one theme after another in that timeless and relaxed, romantic Barry way. Some repetition is present, but you can't go wrong by repeating totally stunning themes and cues. In an age of increasingly non-thematic scores, it stands high up and looks down on the lesser music of current times. If only something like this could find its way to our hearts again, I would buy it in an instant.

5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: Munich by John Williams

A return to form to one of John Williams' darker scores wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Medal of Honor: Airborne - Michael Giacchino

One amazing game soundtrack!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

My favourite Christmas score. 5 STARS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    Blizzard - Mark McKenzie

My favourite Christmas score. 5 STARS!

I LOVE it!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    DANCES WITH WOLVES (JOHN BARRY)

Been a while... But what a majestic score. DWW is essentially one theme after another in that timeless and relaxed, romantic Barry way. Some repetition is present, but you can't go wrong by repeating totally stunning themes and cues. In an age of increasingly non-thematic scores, it stands high up and looks down on the lesser music of current times. If only something like this could find its way to our hearts again, I would buy it in an instant.

5 STARS

Amen to that beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

Which version do you have Ravi, 1 or 2 discs?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone - John Williams

The two suites - "Harry's Wondrous World" and "Hedwig's Theme" are exceptional.

I'm told the third score is the best however. My Azkaban CD came yesterday, so I shall be checking that one out this evening. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

2 disc one
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

2 disc one

Cool! cool

Let us know which disc you prefer, the general concensus ( myself included ) is that Williams re-recording is the more listenable but as I've said before, it's great to have the original tracks too.