• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008 edited
    Just played: John Debney - The Stoning of Soraya M.
    It's a shame Debney only gets to do a serious drama once in a few years, because The Stoning of Soraya M. certainly is a stunner. Obviously handpicked by the director because of his Passion project, this often channels the Christ drama in its use of ethnic instrumentation (especially the cliched yet always lovely duduk) and female vocal. However, the vocal isn't overltly used and the way Debney handles the violin, guitar and (in the single case of the climactic 12 min. piece The Stoning) a piano solo, he still manages to create its own sound for this particular drama. Despite the total absence of choir, its still lingering in The Passion of the Christ territory, yet in a good way. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a dramatic atmospheric listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Just played: John Debney - The Stoning of Soraya M.
    It's a shame Debney only gets to do a serious drama once in a few years, because The Stoning of Soraya M. certainly is a stunner. Obviously handpicked by the director because of his Passion project, this often channels the Christ drama in its use of ethnic instrumentation (especially the cliched yet always lovely duduk) and female vocal. However, the vocal isn't overltly used and the way Debney handles the violin, guitar and (in the single case of the climactic 12 min. piece The Stoning) a piano solo, he still manages to create its own sound for this particular drama. Despite the total absence of choir, its still lingering in The Passion of the Christ territory, yet in a good way. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a dramatic atmospheric listen.

Couldn´t agree more! In many aspects, better than The Passion IMO. And the 12 min. cue is totally mindblowing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    We truly are the Rebellion against the evil revisionist Empire! biggrin

NP: Gods And Generals - John Frizzell/Randy Edelman
    Lods of bombast and pathos...just the way I like my scores! cool Wonderful theme; robust orchestration. I still prefer Gettysburg for sheer over-the-top rough 'n' tough burly manly drama, but Frizzell certainly did a wonderful job with the prequel!

I really really like that score. Something about it just clicks with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Gods And Generals - John Frizzell/Randy Edelman
    Lods of bombast and pathos...just the way I like my scores! cool Wonderful theme; robust orchestration. I still prefer Gettysburg for sheer over-the-top rough 'n' tough burly manly drama, but Frizzell certainly did a wonderful job with the prequel!

I really really like that score. Something about it just clicks with me.

I've had it sitting on the shelf ever since I bought it some half a year ago. I think its about time I'd give it a listen shame
  1. Star Wars or Gods and Generals?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Star Wars or Gods and Generals?

Gods & Generals. If I was talking about Star Wars, you'd know about it. (They are my favourite scores after all.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: El Cid - Rozsa

After watching the film last night I just had to play it today! (well, disc one so far) cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    [edited by the D mod 'cause it screwed the forum wink ]

Timmer wrote
    Earlier I played...

HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

If scores were physiques this one would be Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime, a seriously great and muscular score.

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

If scores were physiques this one would be Arnold Schwaaaaaaarrr......oh, hang on a min!? shocked wink

In my top 5 all time greatest scores.

Bliss! cool beer <--hot chocolate lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "That's How You Know" from Enchanted - Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz

When seeing the working title of James L. Brooks' new film, this song started playing in my head dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Miya wrote
    NP: Dark Blue Almost Black - Pascal Gaigne

I realized that I tend to like scores with "tripping" sound of strings (is called pizzicato, right?). This, Spanglish, As Good As It Gets, Thomas Newman scores, etc... cheesy

Yes, pizzicato is plucked strings. I'll also add Georges Delerue to the mix. A lot of his scores have his winning formula of 'oboe + harp + piano + strings = bliss'
    Oh and do check out Philippe Sarde's Dis-moi Oui... score. It has some of the loveliest pizzicato cues (Cendrillon) I've ever heard.

NP: Salomone by Patrick Williams
    Finally! Had to wait for a long time to get this cd. It was the last Bibbia cd that was eluding me until now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Couldn´t agree more! In many aspects, better than The Passion IMO. And the 12 min. cue is totally mindblowing.

I'll pretend i never read that and still go on with my life, liking you biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. If you really want to know about grief, listen to...

'The Death of Elena' from THE CLAIM (Michael Nyman)

It left me so sad that my stomach felt sick. :-o
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    BhelPuri wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Dark Blue Almost Black - Pascal Gaigne

I realized that I tend to like scores with "tripping" sound of strings (is called pizzicato, right?). This, Spanglish, As Good As It Gets, Thomas Newman scores, etc... cheesy

Yes, pizzicato is plucked strings. I'll also add Georges Delerue to the mix. A lot of his scores have his winning formula of 'oboe + harp + piano + strings = bliss'
    Oh and do check out Philippe Sarde's Dis-moi Oui... score. It has some of the loveliest pizzicato cues (Cendrillon) I've ever heard.

Thanks for the suggestion, BP! And the link is very useful for me biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Today I bought this album just because it's by my fav composer and sold at very very low price. And I've never seen the film, but I've heard tons of bad reviews from inside and outside Japan (and even from Zimmer himself). tongue So I expected nothing amazing from this score, but...

NP: Pearl Harbor - Hans Zimmer

omg

I never expected I could get an answer on this question here...
    Miya wrote
    On the other hand, the piano theme in emotional cues are really beautiful. I love when Zimmer writes beautiful themes for piano (Spanglish, The Holiday, As Good As It Gets...). Are there any other scores by him that have something like that?

Such a beautiful piano piece is written for Pearl Harbor!? WOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Stepmom - John Williams

Nice pleasant score! Like it. smile

Is the movie good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    NP: Stepmom - John Williams

Nice pleasant score! Like it. smile

Is the movie good?

One of my favourite scores to relax to. No idea about the movie, doesn't look like my thing at all. I prefer to call it "Relax with John Williams".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Bear McCreary

A mixed bag, but overall I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit - Julian Nott

First listen. Oh gosh, I like this!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit - Julian Nott

First listen. Oh gosh, I like this!! punk

I'm curious, do you listen to darker scores much? Anything by Goldenthal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've got no Goldenthal scores, to be honest. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

Have you not even heard his music within a film?

Goldenthal is music on steroids, check some out Ravi.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Will definitely check out his scores! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Start with FINAL FANTASY....one of THE best scores in modern times. I swear you'll not be disappointed and there's a load of members on this board who'll back that up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Thanks! beer

Welcome beer

Do you have Poledouris's CONAN THE BARBARIAN Ravi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As much as I love Zimmer, be prepared for something far deeper and more intelligent than a Zimmer score if you do check out Goldenthal's music. IMO, he has a touch of genius about him... and I rarely use that word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, I heard a few tracks from Conan at StreamingSoundtracks. Will get it too!
  3. There IS a touch of genius to Goldenthal's music hands down smile.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    "Just around the riverbend" from Pocahontas. Magnificent orchestrations by Danny Troob, and Judy Kuhn gives the best performance ever for a Disney film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Start with FINAL FANTASY....one of THE best scores in modern times. I swear you'll not be disappointed and there's a load of members on this board who'll back that up.

FINAL FANTASY is one of the most brightest examples of film music in general, not just modern film music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.