• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    As much as I love Zimmer, be prepared for something far deeper and more intelligent than a Zimmer score if you do check out Goldenthal's music. IMO, he has a touch of genius about him... and I rarely use that word!

Word.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Valkyrie score has some merit for sure. Repeated listens have produced a fondness. Still not quite as excited about Long Live Sacred Germany as some but who knows how I'll feel tomorrow
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I've got no Goldenthal scores, to be honest. shame

Have you not even heard his music within a film?

Goldenthal is music on steroids, check some out Ravi.

Will definitely check out his scores! smile

Start with FINAL FANTASY....one of THE best scores in modern times. I swear you'll not be disappointed and there's a load of members on this board who'll back that up.

FINAL FANTASY is one of the most brightest examples of film music in general, not just modern film music.

Agree D, it's a score that can stand tall in any era.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Yeah, I heard a few tracks from Conan at StreamingSoundtracks. Will get it too!

You can NEVER call yourself a true film score fan until you own CONAN THE BARBARIAN on CD!!!! no less. cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt - The Pledge

Underrated and overlooked work for an underrated Sean Penn thriller. I've heard it's a Badelt score produced by Zimmer and with his name given to give it a boost. Anyway, pretty original work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I like that one too. Very atmospheric and quite soothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Yeah, I heard a few tracks from Conan at StreamingSoundtracks. Will get it too!

You can NEVER call yourself a true film score fan until you own CONAN THE BARBARIAN on CD!!!! no less. cool wink

Will get it definitely wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008 edited
    I'm always very wary of being so enthusiastic about suggesting the classics to newcomers. I don't want them to have such high expectations since they're more likely to be disappointed. Final Fantasy is not a score for everyone, and even Conan won't be to everyone's taste (although I dread to think).

...that said, they are great scores. wink

Just keep in mind we've had years and years of listening to these scores, so they get ingrained into our consciousness. I'm sure you have a few of them Ravi... one in particular.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    As much as I love Zimmer, be prepared for something far deeper and more intelligent than a Zimmer score if you do check out Goldenthal's music. IMO, he has a touch of genius about him... and I rarely use that word!

Word.

Zimmer can be brilliant but I wouldn't call him less so than Goldenthal. Goldenthal writes just very complex music at times and if you're not in the right mood for it, your enjoyment of it can get totally wasted. At least with Zimmer, except for his more recent work, you don't have to be in the mood, he writes accessibly (mostly). Goldenthal is very pronounced dark / dissinonant from his debut score, you either love him or hate him. I'm definitely in the first group... I impatiently await the day he brings us another Final Fantasy-like composition. Truly a high class piece of work.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt - The Pledge

Underrated and overlooked work for an underrated Sean Penn thriller. I've heard it's a Badelt score produced by Zimmer and with his name given to give it a boost. Anyway, pretty original work.

I loved it, both score and movie but i agree that it's very underrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Word.

Zimmer can be brilliant but I wouldn't call him less so than Goldenthal. Goldenthal writes just very complex music at times and if you're not in the right mood for it, your enjoyment of it can get totally wasted. At least with Zimmer, except for his more recent work, you don't have to be in the mood, he writes accessibly (mostly). Goldenthal is very pronounced dark / dissinonant from his debut score, you either love him or hate him. I'm definitely in the first group... I impatiently await the day he brings us another Final Fantasy-like composition. Truly a high class piece of work.

Don't take me wrong mate. I LOVE Zimmer. Steven does too; but really, it's not a matter of tastes always, some composers will always stand above others in terms of musicianship.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Word.

I have the firm belief that Goldenthal is a more intelligent composer than Zimmer, even though - and I stress this part - I love Zimmer's music. I think it's an opinion most will agree with who are familiar with both composers.

Does that make Goldenthal a better composer than Zimmer? I suppose that depends on how we choose to define 'better'. To some it might, to some it might not. To me? I'm not sure really. All I can say with any confidence is I love both of their music and I just happen to believe Goldenthal is the more intelligent composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm always very wary of being so enthusiastic about suggesting the classics to newcomers. I don't want them to have such high expectations since they're more likely to be disappointed. Final Fantasy is not a score for everyone, and even Conan won't be to everyone's taste (although I dread to think).

...that said, they are great scores. wink

Just keep in mind we've had years and years of listening to these scores, so they get ingrained into our consciousness. I'm sure you have a few of them Ravi... one in particular.

Very well said......Me? I just love going OTT at times.

As for CONAN, to think that once I was very young and DEVASTATED to hear that Milius collaborater on the brilliant THE WIND AND THE LION, Jerry Goldsmith, wouldn't be scoring Conan, instead was the guy that did the decent but no great shakes THE BLUE LAGOON shocked

wink
  3. Enemies, A Love Story - Maurice Jarre

Another Jarre score with instantly catchy themes.
  4. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Brothers Grimm Dario Marianelli

Very much in the mood for dark, twisted music today. Anything with even the slightest cheerfulness I seem not to have the patience for today!?

Getting ready for the movie on BBC2 later on this evening?

Ooh, didn't know that. Cheers for the 'reminder'. beer

(Fantastic score btw, and I imagine right up your alley?)

I do really like the score - particularly the action material - and the way that Marianelli plays with the classic lullaby tune.

I caught the last hour of the movie (I had seen it before). I can't help think that there's a great movie to be had - if only it wasn't so rushed and confusing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Black Hawk Down

Probably the worst choice to listen in the christmas season..

Why they put tracks like "bakara" or "mogadishu blues" ????

"hunger", "to the eart", "ashes to ashes" and "Still reprise" are really mind Blowing and they are great. Even "Synchrotone" has his....interest.

(I know your thougts D)

About the movie...I consider BHD the best war movie ever made. And by far scott best movie. (Alien and Blade Runner are good in terms of production designs, but for me they lacked "something" ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Don't take me wrong mate. I LOVE Zimmer. Steven does too; but really, it's not a matter of tastes always, some composers will always stand above others in terms of musicianship.

Do you really think it's more complex compose dissonant music for 100 pieces of orchestra than writte more than 100 scores with memorable themes and compose for a very diferent kind of movies?

yes, Final fantasy is something Zimmer never has composed. But..Black hawk Down or The Thin Red Line are nothing close to Goldenthal either.

It's the eternal discussion: art versus technique.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'd say the former is better. I'm wouldn't say it doesn't take skill to write dissonance, but when people look back at you, they're going to remember the guy who wrote all the memorable themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It be ridiculous to even suggest Goldenthal's music isn't art.

As for this:

Nautilus wrote
    About the movie...I consider BHD the best war movie ever made. And by far scott best movie.

I don't know about "ever made", but i have to agree that extremely few war films capture the terror and insanity of war as BHD does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

I didn't say that. I just mean, I'm tired to hear this things like "Zimmer never could compose this" or " A lot of orchestra = a better score".

for me, melody or the capacity or refresh the own composer style are concepts that makes a composer better are they are the real strenghs of a composer, IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I'd say the former is better. I'm wouldn't say it doesn't take skill to write dissonance, but when people look back at you, they're going to remember the guy who wrote all the memorable themes.

The same argument of accessibility and popularity can be applied to a suggested superiority of - say - Jennifer Lopez, over film music itself. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I didn't say that. I just mean, I'm tired to hear this things like "Zimmer never could compose this" or " A lot of orchestra = a better score".

I agree; capacity and volume is not a criteria for quality on its own. But Goldenthal's orchestras are most likely lesser in capacity than those Zimmer uses anyway so it's not a matter of "how big is your orchestra" biggrin Seriously, having a smaller ensemble and knowing how to properly arrange it will result in a much fuller, grander and coherent sound than 100 cellists playing the same riff in unison.

And in all honesty mate, and as much as i love Zimmer - and you know i do, i don't think he has what it takes to ever compose something like Final Fantasy or Titus. But i also don't think that there's any actual meaning in such relations, the "x" composer writing something better or like the output of the "y" composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

The same argument of accessibility and popularity can be applied to a suggested superiority of - say - Jennifer Lopez, over film music itself. wink

I didn't say Dead Man's Chest is better than Titus either tongue
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Miya wrote

I never expected I could get an answer on this question here...
    Miya wrote
    On the other hand, the piano theme in emotional cues are really beautiful. I love when Zimmer writes beautiful themes for piano (Spanglish, The Holiday, As Good As It Gets...). Are there any other scores by him that have something like that?

Such a beautiful piano piece is written for Pearl Harbor!? WOW.

Yes, that's the one I would have suggested to you. Very emotional music. Have you heardNine Months? It's in the same league, leaning on Mozart's style. It has a more "cutsy" quality to it. If you're looking for something with piano and more jazzy, I would recommend Regarding Henry.

NPThe Polar Express Alan Silvestri
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Good points D.

Simplicity is very often harder to achieve than complexity (without taking sides in your discussion).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

And in all honesty mate, and as much as i love Zimmer - and you know i do, i don't think he has what it takes to ever compose something like Final Fantasy or Titus. .

I don't if ever. You couldn't say some years ago the man behind "green card" could compose something like "Gladiator" ( i know, I kicked your weak point).

Anyway, it doesn't care if Zimmer can compose something like Final Fantasy or not. Goldenthal has composed only a few really good scores (if you ask me final fantasy is only the evolution of the earlier Goldenthal ideas ). So I prefer The Thin Red line, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, At world's End, The last Samurai, The Da Vinci Code, Spanglish....over just ONE really good score. Don't you?

I wonder if Goldenthal is capable to compose some good tune with the facility Zimmer does. Wich is really what goes directo to our heart.

NP: Home Alone

I always thought the main title was really a very special composition.
  5. Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Do you really think it's more complex compose dissonant music for 100 pieces of orchestra than writte more than 100 scores with memorable themes and compose for a very diferent kind of movies?

yes, Final fantasy is something Zimmer never has composed. But..Black hawk Down or The Thin Red Line are nothing close to Goldenthal either.

It's the eternal discussion: art versus technique.

First, art and technique, Goldenthal and Zimmer are examples of futility of this "eternal discussion".

Second. Goldenthal is a much more complex composer than Zimmer would ever be, EVEN if, thanks to Black Hawk Down, Zimmer opened up to some avant-garde technique, perhaps even aleatorism (Demetris?). It is very complicated to write SENSIBLE and STRUCTURED dissonant/atonal music, where the opposition we have is Goldenthal, Davis or even Herrmann to Graeme Revell or early Zimmer (Black Rain anyone?). It is VERY hard for such music to actually have emotional and structural meaning. Of course, great themes are also important, but Goldenthal shown his capability in that area too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The reason I chose Zimmer as a comparison to Goldenthal is because I know Ravi is a fan and listens to a lot of Zimmer scores.

It's not a crime to compare two composers. I also don't think anyone has mentioned anything about what Zimmer can't compose and that 'a lot of orchesra = a better score'. That's absurd.

What we are saying, or at least what I'm saying, is that Goldenthal just happens to be the more intelligent composer. Just like Tchaikovsky was a more intelligent composer than Goldenthal. To make such a statement is not to take anything away from any of the composers in question, it's simply an observation.

I listen to Zimmer's music far more often than I listen to Goldenthal's just to throw a spanner in the works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

To make such a statement is not to take anything away from any of the composers in questions, it's simply an observation.

That says it all.

PawelStroinski wrote
    perhaps even aleatorism (Demetris?)

Not really; it's more of a very successful blend of world music; different styles, frantic rhythms, excellent sound design and creation, all with this prominent compositional device prevailing in the core: improvisation, mostly on middle-eastern instruments and modes. When combined with the standard dramatic writing by Zimmer, it gave a winner.
  6. I mean some of the orchestral passages, especially in Chant, and also those passages in Tears of the Sun.