• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008
    NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer

This year I don't do anything special for Christmas (except I'll have a cake with my lab members after the study meeting tomorrow biggrin ), and for us the New Year's Holidays are more important. But I like to listen to Christmasy scores in this season. This lovely Zimmer is one of my favorite!

Merry Christmas, all christmas_tree beer christmas_tree
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith

I actually want to marry this score. This really is an excellent score, the epitome of 5 stars IMO.

Absolutely amazing score! You have such fine taste master Steven! beer

Cheers! biggrin

I never listen to that score in the day, I always like to get the full effect and listen to it in the evenings. It's certainly one of my favourite scores of all time, and it's one of the best Goldsmith scores I've ever heard. So inventive, so clever. The creativity of that guy during the 70's and early 80's was astounding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Wah! I see a lot of my fave Zimmer works mentioned in the last few posts. I think I like Zimmer best when he's doing the smaller films (The Holiday, Spanglish, House of the Spirits). His action scores just bore me (except for my previous Gladiator-infatuation-phase which was mostly due to the Lisa Gerrard parts).
    Those tender themes from Pearl Harbor I've heard on SST are simply tops. I must check out The Thin Red Line

Even though I love some of his action scores, his talent in "smaller" scores is one of my reasons for being a Zimmer fan. Even in Gladiator, my favorite part is quiet Earth track. And Spanglish has a special place in my heart, along with The Lion King (bunny)... it's really beautiful and emotional music which works beautifully in the film.

If you liked Pearl Harbor piano theme, you might enjoy Life Goes On from A League Of Their Own. It's very tender and emotional.

I've heard some tracks of House of the Spirits at SST several times (including today wink), and I liked it. Other my favorite "smaller Zimmers" are As Good As It Gets, Nine Months (makes me sleepy wink), Something's Gotta Give main theme (nice pleasant guitar by Heitor Pereira), and Riding In Cars With Boys (written with Pereira). Oh and his jiggy An Everlasting Piece is nothing tender but really fun(ny) biggrin

The concert version of Driving Miss Daisy on "Wings Of A Film" album is also my favorite piece, even if it includes some noises from the audience!

Oh and The Thin Red Line is... amazing. It's really a great piece of work.
  1. Miya, thanks for the idea. I will play The Holiday after Frost/Nixon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote
    As for Pearl Harbor, I found the action cues are very boring and soulless. But the beautiful piano & strings pieces were worth buying.

I love the score, the whole of it; i guess i am the only one? confused

I second that and I also like the vocal parts. I understand that some find this maudlin music or muzak but it touches an emotional chord on record. I didn't like the movie though.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Miya wrote
    Tintin wrote
    Miya wrote

I never expected I could get an answer on this question here...
    Miya wrote
    On the other hand, the piano theme in emotional cues are really beautiful. I love when Zimmer writes beautiful themes for piano (Spanglish, The Holiday, As Good As It Gets...). Are there any other scores by him that have something like that?

Such a beautiful piano piece is written for Pearl Harbor!? WOW.

Yes, that's the one I would have suggested to you. Very emotional music. Have you heardNine Months? It's in the same league, leaning on Mozart's style. It has a more "cutsy" quality to it. If you're looking for something with piano and more jazzy, I would recommend Regarding Henry.

I have Nine Months, and like it. Though there are some piano piece, I remember more strings on it. I've heard some tracks of Regarding Henry on StreamingSoundtracks, but I don't remember much. I'll check out the album when I get a chance.

As for Pearl Harbor, I found the action cues are very boring and soulless. But the beautiful piano & strings pieces were worth buying.

I assume you have Backdraft. There is one theme played on piano in the cue "Brothers". Lovely.

NP Milk Danny Elfman I saw the film a week ago and loved the music in the film. The same thing could be said on CD.
  2. Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith

I actually want to marry this score. This really is an excellent score, the epitome of 5 stars IMO.

Absolutely amazing score! You have such fine taste master Steven! beer

Cheers! biggrin

I never listen to that score in the day, I always like to get the full effect and listen to it in the evenings. It's certainly one of my favourite scores of all time, and it's one of the best Goldsmith scores I've ever heard. So inventive, so clever. The creativity of that guy during the 70's and early 80's was astounding.

HERE HERE!!!

Poltergeist is probably my most beloved Goldsmith, because the whole score works in a way that creates goosebumps and little moments of joy and wonder in all the tracks. From the first notes of 'Carol Anne's abduction' this score has me tightly engulfed with its eerie musical harmonics/chorals. One of THE best musical companions to any scary scene. The whole 'It knows what scares you / Rebirth' sequence is top notch writing which works equally good inside and outside of the film. Goldsmith always knew how to create a mood in most of his scores. In Poltergeist he gave us a constant sense of wonder, awe, fear and hope in just under 70 minutes. Truly remarkable, and he did this countless times in his other work too. He will always remain one of my favorites.

And his creativity continued well far enough into the 90's IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008 edited
    NP:Toys (Zimmer)

A "primitive" Zimmer score, with some really good things.

Closing to the year" is a great choice for this holiday season.

Ironically my favourite track is "Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood" wich I find really very typical Zimmer moments on it, I can't understand...it is by Zimmer or not???? dizzy

Happy Christmas!!!!!
  3. I think it's a collaboration because it sounds very 'Frankie Goes to Hollywood' as well, the band of you know Relax! Two Tribes, and so on.

I should give this one a listen too, it has been far too long, my bro has it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

And his creativity continued well far enough into the 90's IMO.

His creativity didn't stop until 2004, but I do think he was at his most creative in the 70s and early 80s.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    That's because they're too hard to copy and producers are scared to have such intelligent film music used in their films! tongue biggrin

True!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll take Jordi's usual lack of response as a 'yes, I quite agree'. wink

The Great Train Robbery Jerry Goldsmith

I eat up Goldsmith scores like the Cookie monster eats cookies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Toys (Zimmer)

A "primitive" Zimmer score, with some really good things.

Closing to the year" is a great choice for this holiday season.

Ironically my favourite track is "Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood" wich I find really very typical Zimmer moments on it, I can't understand...it is by Zimmer or not???? dizzy

Happy Christmas!!!!!

As far as I know Zimmer had nothing to do with Frankie Goes To Hollywood? But then again they were produced by Zimmer's old mate Trevor Horn. Hmmmm!??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'll take Jordi's usual lack of response as a 'yes, I quite agree'. wink

The Great Train Robbery Jerry Goldsmith

I eat up Goldsmith scores like the Cookie monster eats cookies.

Mmmmmmmm lick I think I'll have a munch on that too thanks! beer

NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Pure class! cool

p.s. Useless trivia : My old LP of this score is titled The First Great Train Robbery.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    markrayen wrote
    Good points D.

Simplicity is very often harder to achieve than complexity (without taking sides in your discussion).

John Williams once said it was far harder to come up with a catchy, simple theme than writing complex music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    markrayen wrote
    Good points D.

Simplicity is very often harder to achieve than complexity (without taking sides in your discussion).

John Williams once said it was far harder to come up with a catchy, simple theme than writing complex music.

Makes sense. Writing complex music I suppose would be more about relying on your skills you've worked hard to acquire, but to come up with a simple-yet-effective melody, it takes creativity. Which is not always the easiest thing if you're under pressure to come up with something good within a certain amount of time.
  4. And it takes emotions. In my opinion Williams's most emotional work - Schindler's List has ihs simplest, but most beautiful themes. The orchestrations and counterpoint are as sophisticated as Williams can get, but still it's quite simple and laid back, even in the tragism and overall intensity of this masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNDER FIRE - Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic! punk

I was going to play Star Trek TMP but I've decided to save that one for tomorrow. cool
  5. Dario Marianelli - Atonement

Now checking out the Christmas gift from my brother smile Great laid back work.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    Wanted | Danny Elfman

There was one piece of music I was annoyed about not being on the soundtrack which was the cue played during the car flip. Now I've realised it's Fox In Control. Hell yes! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008 edited
    Played this morning in the bed: Lady And The Tramp - Oliver Wallace et al.

dog Good one to start Christmas day. christmas_reindeer

NP: SST
    Many christmasy requests there now. beer
  6. NP: Ennio Morricone in Venice

This DVD/2CD set has an excellent picture and sound quality. The performance of the orchestra is fine.

punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008 edited
    Indy Box Set!!

It's finally here! I've listened to all of Crusade and the bonus disc so far. As great as this release is, it still feels like we've been cheated out to too many bits of music. Why the absurd editing for the tank sequence? And why no Raiders march at the end of "Death Of Kazim" or Nazi theme during "On The Tank". Pah! Still, with the music sounding this crisp I can hardly complain! biggrin

And I can hardly describe how good it is to finally have all of "Indy's Very First Adventure" and "The Boat Scene". punk

Steven, have you opened your copy yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep. What annoyed me is the grandparents were there while I opened it, and they have NO idea about anything to do with pop culture. So when they ask me what I just got, it's like trying to explain to a 5 year old just why this is a great present! angry

Anyway, yeah. I'm gonna listen to them now and SHOW them why it's a great present.

(I also got the super-uber-megarofl Dark Knight soundtrack, and when I said "It's the soundtrack to the new Batman film", I could see on their faces they were thinking of Adam West. rolleyes )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Megarofl version? The two disc one? biggrin

I've still got Afrika to open but I think my afternoon and evening are going to be taken up by Indy and I'm so in the mood to watch Last Crusade as well now. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Megarofl version? The two disc one? biggrin

Yeah. It's actually a really sexy release, it's just a massive glossy book with the CDs at each end. It's completely pointless, but it is sexy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Tintin wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

I love the score, the whole of it; i guess i am the only one? confused

I second that and I also like the vocal parts. I understand that some find this maudlin music or muzak but it touches an emotional chord on record. I didn't like the movie though.

I didn't like it maybe it's because I listened to The Last Samurai first... it's far superior to Pearl Harbor action tracks, imo. But I haven't listened to Pearl Harbor so many times yet, so I may change my mind.

I haven't seen both movies, by the way. But I'll watch The Last Samurai sooner or later (one of my friends recommended it...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Tintin wrote
    I assume you have Backdraft. There is one theme played on piano in the cue "Brothers". Lovely.

I got it recently, but haven't heard it so many times! I'll check it out again. smile
  7. Do it, Miya and let us know what you think! Also would love to hear your opinion on Frost/Nixon. I love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yep. What annoyed me is the grandparents were there while I opened it, and they have NO idea about anything to do with pop culture. So when they ask me what I just got, it's like trying to explain to a 5 year old just why this is a great present! angry

Anyway, yeah. I'm gonna listen to them now and SHOW them why it's a great present.

(I also got the super-uber-megarofl Dark Knight soundtrack, and when I said "It's the soundtrack to the new Batman film", I could see on their faces they were thinking of Adam West. rolleyes )

Bless biggrin

Now if only the TV soundtracks could be released I'd wet my friggin pants. Damn it! I'd wet myself over a DVD release of the series, one of the most entertaining of all time.