• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008
    Defiance James Newton Howard

A mighty fine Giftmas present.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Trek: Insurrection - Jerry Goldsmith

A small portion of it is gorgeous, though I detest most of the action music. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008 edited
    You detest the action music? WHY!? confused It makes Brian Tyler's 10,000-piece orchestra action music seem like a child playing with toy drums!

(Also, the complete score is a better listen than the official album.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    You detest the action music? WHY!? confused It makes Brian Tyler's 10,000-piece orchestra action music seem like a child playing with toy drums!

Schwa?! I've gotta hear this! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Okay, so I might be overreacting to that fact that William said he DETESTS the action music... but still, IMO it's far better and more listenable than any Tyler action music I've heard (and let's be honest, once you've heard one Tyler action track, you've heard them all).
  1. Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

let's be honest, once you've heard one Tyler action track, you've heard them all).

I must concur, Brian Tyler's a good composer, but he has yet to write the first all star score
    His best score for me is still the first one I purchased from him, namely Darkness Falls
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    William wrote

A small portion of it is gorgeous, though I detest most of the action music. vomit

I'm with you too. It below average, paint by numbers, canned Goldsmith action music. Sure, it may still be better than what others may have written during the course of their careers but it dull uninterested Goldsmith action material.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I actually like Insurrection quite a lot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I actually like Insurrection quite a lot.

That's because you have taste and aren't deaf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

I'm with you too. It below average, paint by numbers, canned Goldsmith action music. Sure, it may still be better than what others may have written during the course of their careers but it dull uninterested Goldsmith action material.

-Erik-

I wonder what composers you have in mind? They can't be very good if they're unable to write anything as good as 'average, paint by numbers, canned Goldsmith action music'. Surely if that's such a hard feat, then the 'average, paint by numbers, canned Goldsmith action music' can't be that bad?

Seems like an odd statement to me. Would make more sense if you just said it's 'bad action music', regardless of Goldsmith or not. (Which I don't think it is, by any stretch of the imagination. tongue )
  3. Christopher Young - An Unfinished Life (rejected)

A very nice score, laid back, emotional, restrained. Sounds pretty personal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All my posts from earlier today have disappeared???? confused slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

I'm with you too.

beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry
    DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry
    ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

All scores I played and commented on on christmas afternoon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. And all of them worth a comment. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And all of them worth a comment. beer

And ALL commented on but the friggin posts have disappeared between then and now.....something to do with changing to the new server.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

No bleedin comment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christopher Young - An Unfinished Life (rejected)

A very nice score, laid back, emotional, restrained. Sounds pretty personal.

Gorgeous score. Love it.

NP: Defiance - James Newton Howard

First listen of the official CD...

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And all of them worth a comment. beer

And ALL commented on but the friggin posts have disappeared between then and now.....something to do with changing to the new server.

Calm calm... cheesy I'll trace them back, in order for you to post them again.

NP: Nothing

I haz works and am aloon here. Has forgots eerfoonies.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Darlings I'm back! Strong, healed, more optimistic and at last with a car!!! bounce
    So, NP something heroic!
    Beowulf
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!!!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote

smile

I got that for Christmas too (I assume you did?). A wonderful score, I can't wait to see the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

smile

I got that for Christmas too (I assume you did?). A wonderful score, I can't wait to see the movie.

I certainly did. It's a fantastic effort indeed. Movie looks good too, yeah.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY - David Newman

One of the best CD's I bought in 08, I just love the Heaven / Hell music complete with demonic / angelic choir cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Last Crusade John Williams

one and a half hours of pure Williams bliss. Is it me, or does it sound a lot better on this release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The Last Crusade John Williams

one and a half hours of pure Williams bliss. Is it me, or does it sound a lot better on this release?

It sounds MUCH better! Remastered by Shawn Murphy from the 1/2" analog 4-track masters.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good, I'm not just imagining it then. I was worried it was the placebo effect! It does sound great, it's given me new appreciation for the score.

punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LEGEND - Jerry Goldsmith

Not a christmas score but it does have a coating of magic that makes it sound so.

It's a mark of it's brilliance that I still give it 5/5 despite some distressing synth sounds here and there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I often forget about Legend for some reason? I haven't given it a listen for a very long time. I think I was put off by the synths, but I've become more patient in my old age (wink), so I'm pretty sure I'll have a different reaction to it this time.

I think I'll play it after Crusade. Goldsmith IS Christmas to me! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I often forget about Legend for some reason? I haven't given it a listen for a very long time. I think I was put off by the synths, but I've become more patient in my old age (wink), so I'm pretty sure I'll have a different reaction to it this time.

I think I'll play it after Crusade. Goldsmith IS Christmas to me! dizzy

Do it Steven.....and let me know what the new "patient" Steven thinks of it? wink