• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ON THE BEACH - Christopher Gordon

Exceptional work, this man should be working A-list.

You ain't kidding. Gordon has the All Spark when it comes to composing!
  1. Miya wrote
    Dark Blue Almost Black (AzulOscuroCasiNegro) - Pascal Gaigne

After requesting all the tracks over and over at SST, I finally bought it. Beautiful! lick

It is indeed a beautiful score. I need to hunt out some more of Gaigne's work.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner

Despite owning this for many years ( decades actually shocked ) this and Trek's I & III is one of my most played film scores this year.....utterly BRILLIANT!

For me, this is definitely up there with Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture as a great score. I remember hearing "Surprise Attack" for the first time (on LP!) and just being blown away by it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    Wanted Danny Elfman

Mmm, Elfmany. I do like that theme introduced in 'Success Montage'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Despite owning this for many years ( decades actually shocked ) this and Trek's I & III is one of my most played film scores this year.....utterly BRILLIANT!

For me, this is definitely up there with Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture as a great score. I remember hearing "Surprise Attack" for the first time (on LP!) and just being blown away by it.

Certainly one of my favourites too. If not top 10, then definitely top 20. It has some of the best bad guy music I've ever heard! Couldn't live without it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The Stonning of Soraya (Debney)

The Stoning of Soraya tracks is a real MASTERPIECE!

Another winner from Debney, and In some aspects better than passion of the christ (not so over the top )

Next....

The Mummy 3 (Debney)

At last a 32 minuts score almost in the same level of Goldsmith's and Silvestri's scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The Stonning of Soraya (Debney)

The Stoning of Soraya tracks is a real MASTERPIECE!

Another winner from Debney, and In some aspects better than passion of the christ (not so over the top )

Zzzz... heard it all before.

The Mummy 3 (Debney)

At last a 32 minuts score almost in the same level of Goldsmith's and Silvestri's scores.

Yuh, really really not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Wanted Danny Elfman

Mmm, Elfmany. I do like that theme introduced in 'Success Montage'.

What a fun score! I think this makes for a more entertaining album than Hellboy II, though I do think Hellboy II's score is excellent in the film.

Yay for Elfmans everywhere! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Certainly one of my favourites too. If not top 10, then definitely top 20. It has some of the best bad guy music I've ever heard! Couldn't live without it.

This one's right up there with the all time greats if you ask me. Horner's best.
  3. Agreed, James. The Wrath of Khan is my favourite Horner...probably.
  4. Finishing off this evening with some random favourites:

"Kahega" - Congo - Jerry Goldsmith
    "Farewell" - The Great Water - Kiril Dzajkovski
    "Pancakes" - Madre Teresa - Guy Farley
    "Runaway Train" - Damien: Omen II - Jerry Goldsmith
    "Track 04" - The Twilight Zone: The Passerby - Fred Steiner
    "Switzerland" - Coronado - Ralf Wienrich
    "Recuerdo" - El Viaje de Carol - Bingen Mendizábal
    "Bad Uncle Jack" - Gangs of New York - Elmer Bernstein

Of the lesser known scores here I'd certainly recommend Mendizábal's El Viaje de Carol. A lovely, intimate score with a beautiful piano-led main title theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

This one's right up there with the all time greats if you ask me. Horner's best.

Indeed!

I remember buying the LP when it came out because I got it so cheap.... ( £1.50 on Oxford St, London ) Must have been miss-labelled because I never saw it that cheap again
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The Mummy 3 (Debney)

Yuh, really really not.

Agreed! It's even below Lair and The Scorpion King.... but still 10 million times better than what Edelman spewed out!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

Powell's recent output really has been superb. This particular score is one of the most pleasant and inoffensive of recent memory - charming, emotional and very very relaxing. Love it.

smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Mummy 3 (Debney)

Yuh, really really not.

Agreed! It's even below Lair and The Scorpion King.... but still 10 million times better than what Edelman spewed out!

-Erik-

Yup, it's good fun, but it's by no means great, and NOTHING compared to Goldsmith's and Silvestri's work. Then again, Debney composed all this in 5 days, so I can't really complain. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

Powell's recent output really has been superb. This particular score is one of the most pleasant and inoffensive of recent memory - charming, emotional and very very relaxing. Love it.

smile

I love it. That main theme is highly addictive!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Mummy 3 (Debney)

Yuh, really really not.

-Erik-

That isn't hard to top, is it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The Stonning of Soraya M (Debney)

The Stoning of Soraya M track is a real MASTERPIECE!

Indeed. One of the most emotional cues I´ve ever listened.

Nautilus wrote
    Another winner from Debney, and In some aspects better than passion of the christ (not so over the top ).

Again, agreed! Although in the same vein, better than The Passion in many aspects. Really good effort. Too bad the movie won´t be a success, so minimum chances for nominations / awards (which would be deserved IMO).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Stoning of Soraya M is not a masterpiece. Beethoven's 9th symphony is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote

The Stoning of Soraya M cue is a masterpiece IMO. Overall, the score is not a masterpiece, it´s a very good work (again, IMO).

And we are talking film music, not classical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but still... masterpiece? It seems a little over the top to me. The words 'masterpiece' and 'genius' shouldn't be thrown around so frequently as I see on this forum, mostly from Jordi.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Ahhh the ode to joy of perspective wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Mummy 3 (Debney)

Yuh, really really not.

-Erik-

Yup, it's good fun, but it's by no means great, and NOTHING compared to Goldsmith's and Silvestri's work. Then again, Debney composed all this in 5 days, so I can't really complain. tongue

Eh eh....I just wanted to mean Debney stuff is not so embrassing for the legacy of Goldsmith and Silvestri than how is Edelman score.

Of course, the mummy 3 is not even close to Silvestri's and Goldsmith's, but it's just because Debney only did a fast work and he even had to deal with Edelman theme ( I mean he tried to compose his own motif without overshadow Edelman's theme in the movie, wich is very professional ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    The words 'masterpiece' and 'genius' shouldn't be thrown around so frequently as I see on this forum

Yeah, I have to agree, but you know, sometimes you listen a score or a particular cue that touches you so deep that you can´t help but say those words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can. wink

There are many scores that I would happily die for... but I've never called them masterpieces. I never let my passion get in the way of perspective. Well, I try anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I can. wink

There are many scores that I would happily die for... but I've never called them masterpieces. I never let my passion get in the way of perspective. Well, I try anyway.

"try" being the key word, I think there are times when ALL of us here let passion colour our perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing wrong with passion imo. But i agree with Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I can. wink

"try" being the key word, I think there are times when ALL of us here let passion colour our perspective.

And ain´t it great? I can´t remember how many composers / scores I´ve discovered due to a particular MT member´s excitement about a composer / score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nothing wrong with passion imo. But i agree with Steven.

But you are the KING of passion D !? cheesy