• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorIcemac0
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    hey all, here is a link to a ripped off version of the new star trek movie!

I like the music in it... any idea where it's from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WNPb8R-40

Gotta love star trek!
  1. It's by Brian Tyler, I think, but I couldn't tell you what Brian Tyler score it is.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. I guess Children of Dune?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Looks totally cool, and yes its from Children of Dune , Summon the Worms.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    It´s definitely NOT Children of Dune.

Beside that, wasn´t Giacchino supposed to write music for the trailer? We might actually listen to original score here!
  3. That's not by Giacchino. I've heard that piece before (or more correctly - it's closely based in that trailery temptrack way on a piece I've heard), and the name Brian Tyler pops into my head when I see it. The ostinato and orchestration is very similar to 'War Begins' from CHILDREN OF DUNE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not Tyler.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Well considering I have the score (Children of Dune) and I listened to the track several times, sounds like it to me.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Okay, I just listened to the score, franz_conrad is right. It´s "War begins" from CoD.

(But not "Summon the Worms" as Moonie said, which I knew in and out which is why I said it´s not Children of Dune, but obviously I should stop listening to single tracks and just to whole CDs)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really? I have it too but can't recall that track, its title or the music but it's interesting, thanks for pointing out the correct track title! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I think there are elements in both tracks because I do hear some of it in the Summon the Worms cue. Just me I guess biggrin

but either way its Children of Dune.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I should stop listening to single tracks and just to whole CDs)

Same here wink
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent score indeed, i play it frequently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Excellent score indeed, i play it frequently.

Obviously not frequently enough!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    It's a very recent acquisition of mine. Still haven't absorbed it all. But I quite like it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. I had to relisten to COD to find the track, and I reckon it isn't a bad score. It gets a bit of a bad rep because of the GLADIATOR overlaps and the LIFEFORCE thing, but considering how quickly he had to put it together and his experience at the time, it's very strong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIcemac0
    Either way, the movie looks interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Icemac0 wrote

There's an understatement if ever I heard one! smile

Also, long time no hear!? Still a die-hard Horner fan like myself?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Throw in a sex scene and that makes seem non-nerds can see it. hahahaha
    I can see right through J.J. Abrams ploy. I might see it. I'd never been a fan of star trek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm going to see this for sure. I'm a Star Trek fan but I'm really not a fan of JJ's visual style. The over use of close ups, shaky cam, blown out lighting and the over reliance of the steadicam. It's a TV production for the big screen. Again, I'm not big wig director so I guess I'm talking out of my ass but I'm a fan of dolly tracks, wide shots and locked off cameras that allow the actors to move and work within the frame.

While JJ isn't directing LOST his annoying style is all over it. However, the shots that I do like are those establishing wide dolly shots the sometimes opens a scene... mostly showcasing the landscape of the Hawaii islands they are shooting on. For 2 seconds we get some beautiful dolly shots which suddenly jump to hand held shaky cam close ups of actors. rolleyes I know its TV and there isn't time for sweeping dolly shots and whatnot but those 2 seconds of beauty are a rare treat!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. There's a very noticeable reduction in the filmmaking flair in the journey through the Mission Impossible films when you get to Mi3. John Woo has a very different style to DePalma (Woo being very dependent on Sergio Leone) but both are incredibly conscious of the term 'visual ballet', while Abrams has almost no visual style at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a very noticeable reduction in the filmmaking flair in the journey through the Mission Impossible films when you get to Mi3. John Woo has a very different style to DePalma (Woo being very dependent on Sergio Leone) but both are incredibly conscious of the term 'visual ballet', while Abrams has almost no visual style at all.

I agree with you there. While M:I2 is utter shite it's gorgeous to look at. Nothing kicks more ass than slow-mo doves in a church with bullets flying all over the place.

And DePalma has that old school look to his films that I absolutely love.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nothing kicks more ass than slow-mo doves in a church with bullets flying all over the place.

-Erik-

John Woo´s trademark. I love it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    The trailer has some amazing widescreen landscape shots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorIcemac0
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Icemac0 wrote

Yeah, I've been all over the place... coaching hockey! But yup, still a die-hard horner fan. I'm stuck in my ways!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The trailer has some amazing widescreen landscape shots.

True... but how long does the JJ stay on one shot before cutting to another. That's my issue. The MTV editing style where you need five million cuts in an action scene to make it exciting.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    While M:I2 is utter shite it's gorgeous to look at.

I agree with that. For all its flaws, I didn't hate watching it the way I hated M:I3. I think a certain cinematic flair can rescue even the most otherwise-humdrum project (how apt to be talking about that just after Brian De Palma has been mentioned, who may be the most extreme example) - does Abrams have any flair? Probably too early to tell, but I'm not hopeful about Star Trek, speaking as one of the greatest apologists for all things Trek (I even quite liked Nemesis!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Thanks for the youtube link.

Ok, I am a big Star Trek fan... have been watching the original series in the early eighties on TV when I was a kid, and now I have the complete STNG series on DVD, DS9 and ST Enterprise as well.

What I like about this preview is that it doesn't seem to be so slowly paced as the last few movies. The last few movies were quite a bore, very slowly paced and non-exciting imho. I am not a fan of MTV style editing, so I hope its not like that all the time like in the clip. I think what they did is to "repackage" the Star Trek concept in a more fresh and non-stale manner. In that way, like someone mentioned earlier here, they have a chance attracting non geeks. My wife doesn't like the old Star Trek Series, or the Next Generation, but she watched most episodes together with me of ENTERPRISE. (which I liked, I didn't even asked her to join me, but she did so by herself) (but what a shame of the last few episodes, especially the last one was a major let down) I think she liked the relationship between Trip and T'Pol. (I actually liked that too, T'Pol is hot. hehe) Also there was less techno talk in general, but a more gung ho approach. Anyway I think they will flesh out this ENTERPRISE concept with this new movie... and who knows... if its a hit, perhaps we get a new tv series... again. Should be nice.

ps. best ST movie/score is ST II imho.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Icemac0 wrote
    Steven wrote
    Icemac0 wrote

Yeah, I've been all over the place... coaching hockey! But yup, still a die-hard horner fan. I'm stuck in my ways!

Us Horner nuts have to stick together. With our powers combined, we are.... Captain Planet!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me