• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    Many atheists cut out the middle man and do good for the sake of doing good. And of course many atheists don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Seems we are in somewhat of an agreement.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My point is about what defines atheism. Atheism is not a 'thing', it is -for lack of a better phrase- a 'non-thing'.

Omaha, who's feathers were clearly ruffled, mentioned he does not 'mess with me' for being an atheist. This shows a common theistical misconception of what atheism really is. It's not a lifestyle, it's not a religion, and it's certainly not a fundamental, faith-based attitude. It is simply a non-belief, perhaps a 99.99[ad infinitum]% rejection of the mind-bogglingly unbelievable and illogical. As I said, I would love to see him 'mess with me' for being an atheist. I really would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    How does it overlap with Nihilism, if at all?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's safe to say that to be a nihilist one would have to be an atheist. But that's not to say that atheism teaches nihilism, nor does it teach anything. Though, IMO, it does pave the way for freedom of interpretation, in many walks of life. I wouldn't call myself a nihilist as I have far too much faith in people. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I believe the term for my own walk of life is agnostic. My own beliefs are very personal and nobody's business and I categorically refuse to rally with other like-minded people in any sort of religious worshiping congregation. I'm not saying I don't believe in anything beyond this worldly sphere of consciousness, but I fervently do not believe in religion. Religion is a purely man-made social concept that has caused more death and devastation in the world than the bubonic plague, the crusades or Celine Dion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited
    Agnosticism, within a religious context, is someone who believes that the likelihood of God's existence is directly in the centre of either being true or false. Which, to me, is as misguided as those who firmly believe in God's existence. If something cannot be proved or disproved, it does not mean chance plays no role in the equation. Which also means atheism is not necessarily a firm belief in the answer being false. It seems if you were to look at what we currently know about the universe, particularly when it comes to evolution, God's existence is a very unlikely thing indeed. But that is still not proof of his non-existence. (And it is that last sentence that theists tend to latch onto in solidifying their already rock-hard faith.)

Agnosticism in life? I guess that's another matter. Perhaps I am too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thanks for the clarification. Agnosticism isn't what I meant then. I guess the only true way of describing me then, is "heretical".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven, an observer could say that you make the same arguments, react to others', debate, counter-debate sometimes with irony, like any support of any religion would do in such a debate in order to support his views and would ask how is this any different, how the "non-thing" is any different than the "thing"?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    And that's why I refuse to assign a specific classification or name to my own beliefs. It's unavoidable: the minute you subscribe to one school of thought, one of belief or non-belief, another will rise to go against yours. One religion, government or philosophy (or lack thereof) can ever exist by itself: an opposing one will always appear to wage war to it.

And that's why I like: bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven, an observer could say that you make the same arguments, react to others', debate, counter-debate sometimes with irony, like any support of any religion would do in such a debate in order to support his views and would ask how is this any different, how the "non-thing" is any different than the "thing"?

Demetris, an observer could say you continue to misunderstand what I say. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    And that's why I refuse to assign a specific classification or name to my own beliefs. It's unavoidable: the minute you subscribe to one school of thought, one of belief or non-belief, another will rise to go against yours. One religion, government or philosophy (or lack thereof) can ever exist by itself: an opposing one will always appear to wage war to it.

And that's why I like: bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny

I've never liked the term 'atheist' too. We don't have names for people who aren't racist, so why have a word for those who aren't religious? (Because we need one unfortunately. But I still don't like the connotations that naming a non-belief caries with it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Demetris, an observer could say you continue to misunderstand what I say. biggrin

The 'non-thing' is very different to the 'thing'. "Atheism" (that dreaded word) is very different to religion simply because it is not a religion. It is not anything but a DISBELIEF. Is that a particularly hard concept to understand I wonder?

...and of course I make the same arguments (at a fundamental level at least). Why would I change them? I've had no reason to. Just the same you wouldn't change yours! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Is the glass half full or half empty?

You can't have a belief without a disbelief of the contrary, and vice versa. Just uttering the words "I don't believe in this" means that you strongly believe that you don't believe.

By claiming the sky is blue you're also stating a belief that it isn't green.

By saying "I don't believe John Debney will ever get his Oscar" you're also saying "I do believe that he won't."

And furthermore:

bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny bunny robot bunny bunny bunny bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well in that sense, yes, I suppose atheism is a belief. A belief that God doesn't exist. But it's based on reason rather than faith. I haven't read an atheist bible telling me that no god exists.

Then again, is belief the right word? Belief is usually married to the word faith in a religious context. As I've said, the belief that God doesn't exist is perhaps more of an informed assumption. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nomenclature.

Even the purest religious zealot can be said to have an "informed assumption" about their belief.

Anything that isn't mathematical can be said to be a belief, faith, assumption, speculation, conjecture, theory... Whatever word we use.

2 + 2 = 4 isn't a belief/assumption/faith/etc.

That Willow is James Horner's best score is. Just as God exists or doesn't, also is.

baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Faith is indeed based on what the Bible has to teach. Indeed religious beliefs are an informed assumption from those teachings. But no one of religious faith would ever admit to having their faith classed as an assumption, not least in my experience.

The 'faithful' simply know what they believe to be true despite evidence against many of their core beliefs. I, on the other hand, assume they are not true based on other information. The information I have used to come to this assumption also requires faith. And, as I previously stated, that is where my faith in people lies. I trust the scientific peer-to-peer system, and like any good scientific mind I also don't take what any scientist says as the Gospel.

Religious faith is very different to faith in your everyday life.

I think I should specify something. Like Michael said, religious people and their faiths come in all shapes and sizes from the extremely moderate to the horribly fundamental. I tend to argue my points against the latter of these individuals.smile
  1. Can I modestly ask what this stuff has to do with OJ Simpson? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    No, but plenty to do with OJ (the juice) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I just realized the topic of this thread sounds like the title of an Ernest movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Can I modestly ask what this stuff has to do with OJ Simpson? biggrin

This is MainTitles, role with the punches. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I haven't read an atheist bible telling me that no god exists.

If there was one, you'd actually rave about it like any other religion does about their holly books. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    I haven't read an atheist bible telling me that no god exists.

If there was one, you'd actually rave about it like any other religion does about their holly books. wink

But there isn't, so I don't. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    Everyone is an atheist when you think about it. One faith rejects all others. The reason you're not a Mormon is pretty much the reason I am not a Christian, or any other religion for that matter.

My 'atheism' is exactly the same as you not believing in vampires and werewolves. (Who knows, perhaps you do?) And once we reach a certain age we all become Father Christmas atheists! So, technically, you're an atheist too. (And I emphasise the word technically. Take solace in the fact that I don't consider you an atheist. wink)

Unfortunately you seem to have a negative reaction to the word and have adopted an all too common misinterpretation of what it really means. Either that or you're unwilling to admit to someone like me "atheism" really isn't all that bad.

bunny
  2. Depends of course what you mean by 'theist'. For me, the mutual exclusivity of belief systems isn't quite the same as atheism.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Exactly, a theos - without god. So excluding, say, Shiva or Apollo if you believe in Allah or God isn't being atheist. BTW. Allah and Christian/Jewish God are the same person basically and not only because of the Semitic similarity of the terms (arabic Allah is VERY similar to Hebrew El/Elohim), but also because the biggest book in Quran is basically an analysis of both Testaments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Depends of course what you mean by 'theist'. For me, the mutual exclusivity of belief systems isn't quite the same as atheism.

You are quite right. I suppose I'm using the word 'atheist' in a very loose way, because I don't even consider myself a strict atheist. I don't like the word.
  4. What you say makes you actually an agnostic - literally the person who doesn't know (that is, it can't be decided if God exists or not, because we have no proof for that). Also you chose the other result of the Pascal bet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    My definition of agnosticism is someone who believes the possibility of God's existence is smack bang in the middle of either true or false. I lean towards the latter, so you could say I'm a 99.99[ad infinatum]% atheist. I would never consider myself a 100% atheist, that would be as much a faith based presumption as a 100% theist.

From my point of view, I feel it's very unlikely there is a god. That, to me, is atheism, not agnosticism.