• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Steven wrote
    I don't like the word.

That would make you an averbist.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I is sorry. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    My favourite aspect of that picture is the presence of the "Disney Edition Sorry" right there at the bottom. So in-theme.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    there is nothing to fear
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder if we could get the theists of this forum (mostly Christians) describing why they are religious for a change rather than me repeating the same old waffle time and time again? Perhaps a question & answer style thread? We could get a chance to grill each other on our beliefs.

Yes/no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I don't like the word.

That would make you an averbist.

lol biggrin lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For me it is a way of life. I am not the center of the universe. Helping others is a nice thing to do especially if you don't tell anyone. Again this has to do with our ego.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Another golden contribution from Demetris there. I think I will start this Q&A religion thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry my friend, i truly am. Don’t take me wrong, but there are topics (such as the social problems, the economy and politics to name but a few) that deserve our undivided attention way more than what deity or non-deity and a-theism one believes in, imo.

I have been recently very shocked by the current social rage in my country and the sorry-ass state of the trash media and resident low-life politicians combined with the very upsetting social situation of most of the world right now; everytime i turn on the tv day by day to hear about the hordes of people getting fired from big companies and whilom colossal enterprises closing one after another or about the hundreds of thousands of unemployed people throughout the entire Europe and world, my heart really hurts. All that is troubling my like very few topics lately which – combined with my countless hours of struggle behind cameras, microphones and consoles in studios and out on live gigs so I can raise the necessary money for my life and post-graduate studies on sound and video engineering, have lowered my “give a damn” factor for many topics to crucially low levels.

I haven’t been feeling as such previously, once in my university’s safety canopy but since I left, things have changed tremendously. Welcome to the world some older and wiser people than me will say. Don't know. I have concentrated all my energy and love to a close circuit of people around me with whom i can't live without and the topics that interest me the most along with my job. Things are very tough for all of us. For the rest of the topics I feel either bitterly careless or getting the impression that aren’t of my personal interest as we speak. I don’t mind nor judge anyone who feels contrary of course nor do I mind glancing on the on-going discussions from time to time when i'm in the mood, but honestly I prefer laughing my ass off on Martijn’s extremely amusing (to me) remarks than to worry about what others believe in or not and I personally have never felt the need to prove myself to anyone throughout my life, especially when it comes to my life-time religious beliefs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Isn't this the perfect time to turn to your faith though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    I am. But I never was the kind of guy who would sit around his ass all day long waiting for a church/old testament-defined deity to come save me and work for me. I work and i live for myself and the people around me, i set my rules. What i believe in, IS there to support me but i don't expect to be miraculously transformed into a white, serene garden of prosperity and ethereal fragrances whilst sitting on my ass and doing nothing for my life. But I am also focused on the people, i believe in the human in me and the humans around me and lately, my belief in the latter has been shaken; that is what shocks me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...and that is what I've been looking for you to say for a long time! That alone has explained to me more about your personal faith than you've written on this forum put together.
  1. One thing I will say: whether you believe in God or not, the recent news regarding OJ Simpson would surely have to bolster your belief in KARMA! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's something I wish I could believe in. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, it sounds ridiculous to me as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not so much karma, rather 'what goes around, comes around'. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If Karma was valid, the world would be SUCH a fair place of pure justice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Karma's got nothing to do with justice, and everything with actions and repercussions:
    the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am talking about real justice, not the one in courts of law. If Karma was valid, the drug / weapon lords of the world wouldn't live in big-ass houses in eternal bliss swimming in money whilst good ol hard-working family chaps starve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure it could...except in a next life they would come back as dung beetles, or see their families die in fromt of their eyes or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Next life? Now excuse me but that is where i truly laugh my ass off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Your name has just prominently gone up on the Hindi shit list, which will ensure your return in the next life as a pigskin football.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No worries. I have them in my shit list since day 1 of THIS life of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And so there is balance to the Force.

(this thread is getting seriously oecumenical! shocked )
  2. Steven wrote
    I wonder if we could get the theists of this forum (mostly Christians) describing why they are religious for a change rather than me repeating the same old waffle time and time again? Perhaps a question & answer style thread? We could get a chance to grill each other on our beliefs.

Yes/no?

Why am I religious? I believe of something higher above me that lets me feel the right distance to my own life. I agree with Demetris. Even if God is there, I am responsible for my own life, like in that joke about an old Jew asking God to let him win the lottery and accusing him later of that not happening. God responded with: "Give ME a chance and take PART IN IT".

I believe that we're responsible for our deeds. Not only because of the Judgement Day. Also because we live our lives and Almighty God won't live it for us. He loves us, the sinners, but I think he ignores those who don't give a fudge about anything.

I think He listens. Can't always say yes to our prayers (Bruce Almighty showed well why), but He's listening there. It gives me some kind of security. But I try to concentrate on the fellow man. What happens in the afterlife happens and I think my way is the one God would find good. Even if I am still a sinner.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Sure it could...except in a next life they would come back as dung beetles, or see their families die in fromt of their eyes or something.

"Wow, this Tom Raider movie really sucked."

"Let's wait for the sequel, see if it's better."

"Right-o."
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nah, it sounds ridiculous to me as well.

I hope Ravi reads that, I'd like to sit back and see an argument unfold for once. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I said "to me". Anyone can believe what they want and i don't mind and i have a lot of friends who are not Christians anyway. But there's stuff that TO ME, personally, sounds gigge-ly giggly.

Damn where's the WHITE FLAG emoticon when you need it. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Too late.
    D. = gonna be football.