• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009
    So, who's going now?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2009
    When would that be?
    Another Star wars concert,huMMM????
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    And where,actually?I understand it's London,but which place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Are you desperate koko?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    kokodezil wrote

You have to take the train from Platform 9-3/4 at King's Cross which will take you to the concert hall which is situated about a 10 minute ride away.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    kokodezil wrote

Mate I know you're new here, but calm down a bit! If you take time and read the original post you can usually get whatever info you need. wink smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Youtube
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. goat
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009
    My tickets finally came today. Has anyone else received theirs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    Yes - added to the growing pile of tickets for concerts in April!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    Got mine a couple of weeks ago! smile

Has anybody seen that Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) will appear at the concerts as narrator? Pretty cool, but I just don't hope that he will be talking during the music... smile
    http://www.starwars.com/fans/events/news20090321.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009
    Artworks wrote

Has anybody seen that Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) will appear at the concerts as narrator? Pretty cool, but I just don't hope that he will be talking during the music... smile

If it was anything like the Star Wars Concert in Toronto with Erich Kunzel a few years ago he will be reading an abridged version of the Star Wars story in between cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Artworks wrote

Nice, that promotional flyer has got me excited, cant wait for the concert!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    So, who's all going on Saturday?

It's tempting to buy a ticket, take the Eurostar, have the concert, meet you all and have 2 days in London. Alas, dreams.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009 edited
    I'm going to opening night tomorrow! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Looking forward to your review!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What? That wasn't part of the deal! cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quite.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009
    I'm off to London...!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009
    Just got back in and I'm glad to say it was a very good concert! The Royal Philharmonic under command of Dirk Brosse is a great combination. Full review tomorrow, but I'll write out the pieces performed or I'll have forgotten it by morning (there was no way I was shelling out £15 for a program after I spent £17 on parking!)

20th Century Fox Fanfare
    Main Title - Rebel Blockade Runner - End Title
    Duel Of The Fates
    Anakin's Theme
    Dune Sea Of Tatooine - Jawa Sandcrawler
    The Flag Parade
    Across The Stars
    Battle Of The Heroes
    The Imperial March

Interval

Another version of The Imperial March (not sure which cue)
    The Asteroid Field (HELL. YES.)
    Leia's Theme
    Binary Sunset
    Cantina Band 1
    Yoda's Theme
    Luke And Leia
    The Forest Battle
    Light Side Of The Force
    Extended Throne Room - End Titles

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds excellent Anthony, I look forward to your review. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009 edited
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009 edited
    Right, yes, the O2 - the most expensive place on earth. £40 a ticket (and that was the cheapest available), £17 to park (there's even a VIP BMW owner car park where you can pay £5 more and park 50ft closer rolleyes ) and £15 or more for any of the crappy merchandise they were selling. Surprisingly, they weren't even selling the soundtracks! shocked

I was armed with my binoculars so I could perv on the hot...no wait, the entire place was full on Star Wars geeks! (no offense to any of you kiss ) The guy dressed as Bobba Fett who was carrying a tray of beers gave me quite a good laugh though.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you want to hear about the music. I can hardly see how "John Williams painstakingly re-wrote the music" as per the original press release, as it was just a collection of all the concert suites with a tiny bit of arranging so it fit their video compilations a bit more. Not that that was a bad thing by any means, and the Royal Philharmonic gave an incredibly good performance.

The only thing I was upset about is that they weren't amplifying the music at all. Granted doing that with an orchestra would be near impossible, but I was sitting so far away it didn't seem loud enough. sad

But anyway - an awesome opening with the THX logo sound and the 20th Century Fox fanfare as the curtains opened (that got a HUGE cheer!). Into the main title cue from the original Star Wars which eventually merged into the end title from the same film. A good opening which gave me a lot of confidence in the orchestra but I needed more than the ever-so-played main title cue.

Duel Of The Fates confirmed my thoughts we were in for a good night as they even had a choir (for all of two cues I think!). Anakin's Theme was played nicely, but didn't receive a particularly warm reception. The same also happened to Dune Sea Of Tatooine - Jawa Sandcrawler. Even I was wondering why this was performed as it's not a particularly interesting or epic cue. confused

The Flag Parade got a massive applause and while the performance was very good it didn't feel perfected. Across The Stars was one of the highlights of the evening. I'm really not a fan of this theme, but my God it sounded good live! As did Battle Of The Heroes which seemed to contain a long timpani segment I wasn't aware of before!

And just before the interval, The Imperial March. I didn't think this would live up to expectation and unfortunately it didn't. No performance other than the original recording has lived up to the force (no pun intended) and aggression of the first. Still, at this point I was still hoping for The Asteroid Field and as I didn't have a program I had no idea what was coming.

The second half was even stronger than the first (it had lasers!!), starting again with a better performance of The Imperial March, but I'm not sure what cue it was. Then, as Anthony Daniels mentioned the words "Asteroid" and "Field" I wet myself. What was one of the best performances of the night the audience seemed to knock off as "another piece of action music". Oh well, screw them, I LOVED it! moon

The strongest performance of the night had to be Leia's Theme, which even surprised me as it sounded better than the original!

Then onto a quick version of Binary Sunset which suddenly switched to the Cantina Band. I've never considered that this could or was ever played by a standard orchestra, but clearly it can! This was the biggest crowd pleaser as people even cheered when it started. cool

A nice version of Yoda's Theme and Luke And Leia then proceeded. I've never been able to put these themes up there with The Force, Leia's or The Imperial March, so I patiently awaited to hear Tie Fighter Attack and then Battle In The Forest.

Then...TIE FIGHTER ATTACK AND BATTLE IN THE FOREST! My evening was nearly complete (although the second tends to sound a bit gay whenever it's not the Gerdhart re-recording. Sadly it fell to the same crappy-percussion fate here too.) Anyway, that was expected, so the problem was overlooked.

Lastly the orchestra played Light Side Of The Force which rounded everything off nicely, and then an extended (why?!) version of The Throne Room. It had the great build up, DIDN'T lead into the main Star Wars theme and then built up again and then did it....weird. It was a little odd the opening and closing performances were the same, but the last one definitely came across stronger and ended the evening nicely. Plus, I got chatting to this cute redhead on the long trek out of the O2.

Evening complete. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A cute redhead!
    Excellent! What a splendind evening! I love redheads!

Oh, and thanks for the music describy thingy too. wink

Seriously, thanks for the extensive review, ANthony. I greatly enjoyed reading it! beer
    I'm a massive fan of the RPO, who never sound bad, but I'm glad I didn't shell out the ridiculous expense for getting to this (and I'm talking the actual show only now...not even counting air fare and hotels). I feared it would eb a (relatively) easy cash-in on the Lord Of The Rings tours, and apparently it was.

The pieces chosen are indeed pretty much all crowd pleasers, and there seems to have been little to "augment" the experience (though to be honest: at this point, knowing the scores and most every version of every track, pretty much by heart, I guess I'd be very hard to please. I guess my biggest kick these days would come from actually sharing the experience wth like-minded fans...and I'm talking the likes of ANthony, obviously. Not Boba Fetts carryng beer trays. slant ).

How was the show surrounding it, Anthony?
    What sort of narration did Anthony Daniels do?
    And were the video pieces just film excerpts?

And wasn't there some sort of exhibition as well?
  3. I'm glad to hear it was an amazing evening, and I'm glad Dirk Brossé was there to give you a bit of Belgium magic wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "Cue redhead"?

Steve 'interesting' Davis is a Star Wars fan? wink