• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    Bregt wrote
    YOU WERE THERE? shocked

No.
    Why?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    While most of the cues were true to their original form, there were a few surprises: the aforementioned Rebel Briefing was extended to include both the concert variation AND the film variation in one track, which really worked quite nicely. And the final piece -The Throne Room/End Title- incorporated quite a long variation on the material, which I've never heard before! No idea if it was created by Brossé or Williams for the concert specifically, but whatever the case, it worked like a charm, charming even an old-timer like myself with a truly new and surprising take on so well-known material.

Are you sure The Throne Room/End Title isn't the same concert version that is on all the Star Wars re-recording compilations.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik. It's ME!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    I was going to answer for you, with 'Martijn' replacing 'ME!' wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In fact, when your read Anthony's review of almost exactly a year ago in this very thread, he noticed the exact same thing.
    I haven't been able to find any additional information on this particular version (but I haven't looked very hard, to be honest).

I certainly did enjoy it.
  1. Awesome review M. I more or less expected the approach used on the extra dvd of the ROTS score... Scenes from the films with dialogue and sound effects edited to the music. In fact the clips used here were the exact same found on the dvd. Because I expected this it didn't annoy me nearly as much as it did for you.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    In fact, when your read Anthony's review of almost exactly a year ago in this very thread, he noticed the exact same thing.
    I haven't been able to find any additional information on this particular version (but I haven't looked very hard, to be honest).

I certainly did enjoy it.

Cool! Can you describe it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm... I'll try.
    It was a variation right at the end of the classic Throne Room theme (so before seguing into the classic end theme), "swirlingly" dipping into darker tones and some modulations that touched upon the same note and chord progressions as the Throne Room/Force theme without actually becoming it.
    After that it reverted to the second half of the classic Throne Room theme, though slightly more contained and less exuberant, to go into the End theme.

Wow. It's times like these I really wish I'd paid more attention to formal musicology. slant

Anyway, it lasted about 5-6 minutes, I guess.

I'm thinking now that maybe they cut up some bits of the Revenge Of The Sith end track (New Hope), and interspersed it here and there into the classic Throne Room score? I'm not certain at all. I'm going to have another listen at that track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks for the description!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Did it make any sense? shame
    It just looks like gibberish...
  2. fjzeiurgjfk sjdfklsdyuz urjke'v fkjdkduhv nvkfr zejreijbgk jfkdjfopqre
    jhlkhjkghv kdgiyoyjkn jks jdeiejgvsd bdfjr jppooezopgtiv j jdhhjdf punk
    dfj dkvfeu egt beer
    rtjjhju dfdfvgheur sddf !

FFKHJT PPFJDJ EFYDF ERYX GFHFF !!!!!!!

^
    THAT IS GIBBERISH !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Makes sense to me. stupid
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just out of curiosity... I saw the making of this concert on PBS a few months ago and they mentioned that a digital Yoda would be replacing the puppet in The Phantom Menace... I know vomit ... but any who, the producers said that the digital Yoda would be seen for the first time during this concert. Did any of your notice that?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Nice review Martijn !
    It was an excellent concert indeed , I had my fair share of goose bump moments during some of the tracks .
    The dialogue didn't bother me that much - and on occasion I thought it gave some extra sentimental touches to the ensemble . My son enjoyed it just as much as I did . The concert merchandise sold there was ... well , expensive , so if you're going to see it - bring enough cash with ya . I'm glad I finally got to meet some of the members here . Thomas , Gilles & Mario - it was a fun evening worthy of repetition ... wink I also briefly met Bregt and his brother . Nice to see you there as well . I hope the Sportpaleis will support other OST projects should they come along . I'm looking forward in seeing you all again and that's probably at the John Barry concert ?! Or maybe there's another meet in between , who knows ? An MT meet at the Efteling perhaps , eh Mario ? biggrin wink

PS : If the photos turn out ok I'll send them on through ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Just out of curiosity... I saw the making of this concert on PBS a few months ago and they mentioned that a digital Yoda would be replacing the puppet in The Phantom Menace... I know vomit ... but any who, the producers said that the digital Yoda would be seen for the first time during this concert. Did any of your notice that?

-Erik-

I think I noticed it during the scenes when young Anakin was talking to the board in the high temple, so yeah I think so
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Why the hell would they do that? They might as well have gone up to Frank Oz and said:

"You know the work you did for The Phantom Menace? Yeah. Well... we've decided to rub shit all over it."

Next we'll see a friggin' digital Yoda in Empire and Jedi!

angry to the power of face-palm-mt
  4. Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Why the hell would they do that? They might as well have gone up to Frank Oz and said:

"You know the work you did for The Phantom Menace? Yeah. Well... we've decided to rub shit all over it."

I was afraid they would do it to all the Yoda scenes, luckily (if I can say that), they only did it to the scenes of The Phantom Menace
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I was affraid they would do it to all the Yoda scenes, luckily (if I can say that), they only did it to the scenes of The Phantom Menace

I guess they did it for continuity sake... oh wait... nevermind.

-Erik-
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I was afraid they would do it to all the Yoda scenes, luckily (if I can say that), they only did it to the scenes of The Phantom Menace

Whaaaaaa ?????? !!!! They replaced the puppet Yoda from Ep. 1 ???? confused dizzy

Damn I didn't notice anything. So that was pretty impressive CGI for me to have missed that. shocked
  6. Eric wrote
    Nice review Martijn !
    It was an excellent concert indeed , I had my fair share of goose bump moments during some of the tracks .
    The dialogue didn't bother me that much - and on occasion I thought it gave some extra sentimental touches to the ensemble . My son enjoyed it just as much as I did . The concert merchandise sold there was ... well , expensive , so if you're going to see it - bring enough cash with ya . I'm glad I finally got to meet some of the members here . Thomas , Gilles & Mario - it was a fun evening worthy of repetition ... wink I also briefly met Bregt and his brother . Nice to see you there as well . I hope the Sportpaleis will support other OST projects should they come along . I'm looking forward in seeing you all again and that's probably at the John Barry concert ?! Or maybe there's another meet in between , who knows ? An MT meet at the Efteling perhaps , eh Mario ? biggrin wink

PS : If the photos turn out ok I'll send them on through ...

Hey ! We'd love to see the photos if you have the time.

It was a fun evening, if they ever do this for Goldsmith and the Star Trek series I'm game, no doubt about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Was it only done for the concerts, or are they planning on making a digital Yoda in a possible bluray/3D release? If they are, I am welcoming a digital Yoda in TPM. I have never liked the younger looking puppet version...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Neither did I to be honest. But I much much MUCH preferred it to the digital Yoda they ended up with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Neither did I to be honest. But I much much MUCH preferred it to the digital Yoda they ended up with.

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Well, I liked the CGI Yoda from Episode 2 and 3, so personally I can't wait for them to remove that weird looking puppet from TPM smile

This is BTW from the Wikipedia article about Yoda:

"Yoda has been redone in CGI for a later release of The Phantom Menace. This edition will most likely be part of a future release of the Star Wars saga. A clip of the new CG Yoda from The Phantom Menace can be seen in the featurette The Chosen One, included in the DVD release of Revenge of the Sith."

But back to the concert. Someone here wrote that there was an encore version of The Emperial March? If my memory hasn't failed me, there was no encore at the first concert last year. That was actually the only thing I thought the concert was missing... that, and a (better) map over the O2 Arena, so I wouldn't have missed the Star Wars exhibition sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Artworks wrote
    Well, I liked the CGI Yoda from Episode 2 and 3, so personally I can't wait for them to remove that weird looking puppet from TPM smile

vomit CGI Yoda

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lifeless, soulless digital crud. That's what CGI Yoda amounts to.

Lucas is too much of a fucktard to make his digital characters interesting and lacks the ability to make the audience care about them. In Empire and Jedi, Yoda LIVES; in the prequels ("Space Fights 1, 2 and 3" as I like to call them - NOT Star Wars) he's just a collection of unconvincing pixels in what are soulless, humorless, poorly made films themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited
    ^ Speaks the truth!

BTW, give me 5 minutes of THIS over any of the terrible CGI Yoda lightsabre fights!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Speaks the truth!

BTW, give me 5 minutes of THIS over any of the terrible CGI Yoda lightsabre fights!

-Erik-

I can't agree more with both of you. beer

p.s. That moment where Yoda ressurects the X-wing is possitively religious, combined with JW's sublime score it's a real chills up and down the spine moment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Yoga? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yoga? biggrin

lol

....oh!!! shame

Fixed biggrin