• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    As a dear friend of mine once exclaimed: "the only Yoda is the one with a hand up his arse!"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Funny AND true! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Just to clarify - I don't prefer the CGI Yoda over the puppet from the old movies. BUT I just can't stand the ugly puppet they used in TPM, and I want him gone! smile And here I think the CGI Yoda (from Ep. 1 & 2) is a good choice, because all the other characters in the new trilogy are done with CGI, so a puppet would look out of place... IMO. But the puppet Yoda is perfect in the old trilogy. smile

BTW, today is/would have been Alec Guinness' birthday! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Martijn wrote
    As a dear friend of mine once exclaimed: "the only Yoda is the one with a hand up his arse!"

Good one! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    I just saw it in Birmingham, and I was not impressed. Sure, the performances were all very fine, and had it just been that alone I would have loved it... but it was very gimmicky. Anthony Daniels was clearly trying for an Oscar with his hammy narrating, which had me cringing from start to finish; the dialogue over the orchestra was retarded; the flashy lights and large screen were distracting; there were annoying kids everywhere with stupid toy lightsabers (and boy do I hate kids); and worse of all, the orchestra was being pumped through speakers, which means all the warmth and acoustic feel of seeing a live orchestra was lost. It all felt very glossy, very impersonal and all too commercial. Add to that the fact the venue was more suited for rock concerts with seating facing into the middle of the arena rather than the stage.

Waste of money. I hate George Lucas even more. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    It was quite a kid-friendly performance (especially Daniels' narration), but I honestly rather liked the big screen (now THAT's a BIG screen!) and the light show. smile

Sorry to hear the dialogue abomination wasn't just a continental fluke. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love big screens, I love light shows, I even love rock concerts. But I didn't love this.

I'm searching for a good concert in London right now to make up for tonight. One that isn't Morricone's... because that's friggin expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I love big screens, I love light shows, I even love rock concerts. But I didn't love this.

Yeah, that happens sometimes when you get older.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm so glad I saw a toned down version of this back in 2005 when Erich Kunzel and the Toronto Symphony and Mississauga Choral Society premiere the Star Wars Symphony. Anthony Daniels was there delivering narration and there was a laser sound effect or two but there were no high def screens, no kids waving lightsabres, nothing pumped through speakers, no intruding dialogue... just music in a proper concert hall! It was wonderful and I wish that was the program that went on the road.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Steven wrote
    I just saw it in Birmingham, and I was not impressed. Sure, the performances were all very fine, and had it just been that alone I would have loved it... but it was very gimmicky. Anthony Daniels was clearly trying for an Oscar with his hammy narrating, which had me cringing from start to finish; the dialogue over the orchestra was retarded; the flashy lights and large screen were distracting; there were annoying kids everywhere with stupid toy lightsabers (and boy do I hate kids); and worse of all, the orchestra was being pumped through speakers, which means all the warmth and acoustic feel of seeing a live orchestra was lost. It all felt very glossy, very impersonal and all too commercial. Add to that the fact the venue was more suited for rock concerts with seating facing into the middle of the arena rather than the stage.

Waste of money. I hate George Lucas even more. slant

hmn, sorry you didn't like it
    I loved it, and even the effects or dialogue didn't irritate me

Give me such a rousing performance of this kind of orchestra anytime cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh boy... I got jealous after the first reports and thought I should've come anyway... but, DIALOGUE over the orchestra?! And sound fx? Oh man, that would've annoyed me. I would've gone strictly for the music, but it almost seems there was more focus on the films itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    I would've gone strictly for the music, but it almost seems there was more focus on the films itself.

Bingo. slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    worse of all, the orchestra was being pumped through speakers, which means all the warmth and acoustic feel of seeing a live orchestra was lost

I raised the exact same complaint when I saw it at the O2 last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Didn't really bother me, but then I was pretty much on top of the orchestra.
    Can imagine it would be more annoying/audible when you're more at the back (especially in a large venue).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh but how I wish John Williams would again come to town and make the LSO sing once more. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Oh but how I wish John Williams would again come to town and make the LSO sing once more. sad

Indeed, but as previously and repeatedly lamented, I believe those days are gone now. I might be lucky to catch a concert of his on an upcoming US trip, but that's about it. At least you were able to see him live once.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Didn't really bother me, but then I was pretty much on top of the orchestra.
    Can imagine it would be more annoying/audible when you're more at the back (especially in a large venue).

It was. I could see the orchestra playing (when I wasn't distracted by the lights and the screen nd the dialogue), but I couldn't really feel it. Every previous orchestral concert I've ever been to I've 'felt' the music.

This certainly doesn't top The Lord of the Rings Symphony.... now there was a proper show!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah Thor, 1980....he didn't do anything of note after that wink

If you consider that John Barry sold out a capacity Royal Albert Hall we'd have to really be on the ball getting tickets if JW ever did return.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    This certainly doesn't top The Lord of the Rings Symphony.... now there was a proper show!

Really? uhm
    I was so disappointed at that one. Poor preparation, poor execution. Very meagre indeed.
    I'll take a more slick show any ol'time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, even though it's wrong, I'll take your opinion into consideration nonetheless.
  2. Martijn is not nearly likely to be wrong as much as you think he is likely to be far from right.

Shame you didn't enjoy the show Steven, I had a fantastic time. The musical performance never sounded better, but then I haven't been to many Star Wars concerts in my life. Only one in fact... wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I had no quibbles with the performance, it was spot on. It was everything else that came with it, not least the fact that it was pumped through speakers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really don't like the idea of a live orchestra pumped through speakers, I can imagine it destroys the ambience.
  3. Timmer wrote
    I really don't like the idea of a live orchestra pumped through speakers, I can imagine it destroys the ambience.

There was nothing but amazing ambience in the concert hall that day, the huge speakers only amplified the already stunning performance IMO, no disappointment here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

There was nothing but amazing ambience in the concert hall that day, the huge speakers only amplified the already stunning performance IMO, no disappointment here.

I second Steven's opinion here. Where I was seated, merely cheaper tickets, it was really only the amplified music I heard. Loud, and when the dialogues was put over it, it was almost impossible to enjoy. Luckily dialogues were not that common, but still...

The performance was top notch! Long live brass!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    Some pictures. My brother met Darth Vader and some odd creatures too!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … d0234e6877
    Kazoo
  4. Eric wrote
    An MT meet at the Efteling perhaps , eh Mario ? biggrin wink

I'm always available!! You will never look at the park the same way again wink I hope the force was with Joery when he had to go to school in morning wink

On the concert:
    I thought it was great!
    - The dialog-thing wasn't necessary and it would have been better that not every piece would have been accompanied by dialog. It made me enjoy the encore piece even more, because the the camera's where fully focused on the orchestra.
    - I think the Sportpaleis or maybe concert events in general have come an long way since LOTR in Concert. I was not bothered by the sound coming through speakers. It's an giant hall... what did you expect?
    - The screen was big, I thought it would be bigger... my mistake. Never saw such a great resolution and small time delay.
    - I was glad to sit on the side, close to the stage because you could see the orchestra actually playing. See some faces. When your in front of the orchestra you watch the screen all the time...
    - loved the characters in the audience. When I go to game-concerts they are also always present. The same with LOTR. I'm still a fan of the little Youngling with his father. He was adorable!
    www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3995785&id=566498245
    - No problems with Anthony Daniels. Didn't like his C3PO impression. He should read a book about the character.

All in all: certainly money not waisted.

Regards and look for my post somewhere next year wink
    It's life Jim!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    Well , it seems Mario is signing off again for another year ... wink

Here's a link to an audio interview with Dirk Brossé about the concert .
    Only in Dutch I'm affraid ...
    Though there are a few interviews there in English with some other composers like , Bruno Coulais , Marvin Hamlisch & Guy Cuyvers .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. Bregt wrote
    Some pictures. My brother met Darth Vader and some odd creatures too!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … d0234e6877

SWEET ! punk