• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    Best Original Score nominees -

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat;
    "Defiance," James Newton Howard;
    "Milk," Danny Elfman;
    "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman;
    "WALL-E," Thomas Newman.

Source - http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art … QD95S7OB82
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Regardless of any scores merits my bet is it'll go to Rahman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    Regardless of any scores merits my bet is it'll go to Rahman.

I'm sure, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wow. What an unusually impressive list of nominees. I wonder when the last time there was a set of five which didn't include a single one which made me scratch my head.

(Much though I like Slumdog Millionaire, I suspect that by the Oscars' own rules on scores which are overshadowed by songs and source music, it shouldn't have been eligible. I don't agree with the rule in theory, but sadly it does lead to people who don't know what they're voting for, getting the wrong end of the stick.)

Come on then Thomas Newman, it should finally be your year. (Though I guess Rahman has a very strong chance.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm very certain Rahman is going to get it, but otherwise I'm rooting for JNH!

Yep, this is a much better list of nominees than what we saw in the past few years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Boring and predictable list of nominees sleep sleep

I hope Newton Howard wins though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Wow. What an unusually impressive list of nominees. I wonder when the last time there was a set of five which didn't include a single one which made me scratch my head.

I not scratching my head but I'm crazy with the nomination for Slumdog. However, what is shocking is that Oscar favorite John Williams didn't get a nomination this year. This is the first time since 1992. In 1994 he didn't write any film music.

Anyway, except Slumdog, this is a respectable list. Wall-E is my favorite score of the year and would be great to finally see Thomas Newman win his first Oscar for that wonderful effort.

BTW, don't forget about best song... odd that there are only 3 nominees.

"Down to Earth" from "WALL-E," Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman;
    "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Gulzar;
    "O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam.

Were there no other eligible songs... like Danny Elfman's brilliant "The Little Things" from Wanted or Bruce Springsteen tune from The Wrestler.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Slumdon'g nomination is not a surprise but it disgusts me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk BHANGRAAAAAaaaaaaaa punk ...OK, I'll stop shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    After all that fuss over The Dark Knight being ineligible - oh no it's not, it's eligible again - I'm delighted that the Oscar voters showed some rare sense in not awarding it a nomination. It would have been an insult to the other nominees had it been included and I have no respect for any awards body which recognises that music this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I'm rooting for Desplat but judging by the two wins of Santaolalla and the already won awards for Slumdog I would be pleasantly surprised if anyone other would win but Rahman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm always rooting for the underslumdog. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Danny Elfman's brilliant "The Little Things" from Wanted is the absolute worthy oscar material for a song; if that isn't nominated, i don't know what is.

Oh and Erik; Slumdong WILL win. Hold your anger for later smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not surprised at the majority of the nominations in the acting/directing categories. With the exception of Frost/Nixon I've seen the films and can talk about them.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Complete list of 81st annual Academy Award nominations announced Thursday:

1. Best Picture: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

2. Actor: Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"; Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"; Sean Penn, "Milk"; Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler."

3. Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"; Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"; Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"; Meryl Streep, "Doubt"; Kate Winslet, "The Reader."

4. Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, "Milk"; Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"; Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"; Michael Shannon, "Revolutionary Road."

5. Supporting Actress: Amy Adams, "Doubt"; Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"; Viola Davis, "Doubt"; Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Marisa Tomei, "The Wrestler."

6. Director: David Fincher, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; Ron Howard, "Frost/Nixon"; Gus Van Sant, "Milk"; Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"; Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire."

7. Foreign Film: "The Baader Meinhof Complex," Germany; "The Class," France; "Departures," Japan; "Revanche," Austria; "Waltz With Bashir," Israel.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Eric Roth and Robin Swicord, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"; John Patrick Shanley, "Doubt"; Peter Morgan, "Frost/Nixon"; David Hare, "The Reader"; Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire."

9. Original Screenplay: Courtney Hunt, "Frozen River"; Mike Leigh, "Happy-Go-Lucky"; Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"; Dustin Lance Black, "Milk"; Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter, "WALL-E."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Bolt"; "Kung Fu Panda"; "WALL-E."

11. Art Direction: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Duchess," "Revolutionary Road."

12. Cinematography: "Changeling," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "The Reader," "Slumdog Millionaire."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Slumdog Millionaire," "WALL-E," "Wanted."

14. Sound Editing: "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man," "Slumdog Millionaire," "WALL-E," "Wanted."

15. Original Score: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," Alexandre Desplat; "Defiance," James Newton Howard; "Milk," Danny Elfman; "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman; "WALL-E," Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song: "Down to Earth" from "WALL-E," Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman; "Jai Ho" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Gulzar; "O Saya" from "Slumdog Millionaire," A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam.

17. Costume: "Australia," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Duchess," "Milk," "Revolutionary Road."

18. Documentary Feature: "The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)," "Encounters at the End of the World," "The Garden," "Man on Wire," "Trouble the Water."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Conscience of Nhem En," "The Final Inch," "Smile Pinki," "The Witness — From the Balcony of Room 306."

20. Film Editing: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Frost/Nixon," "Milk," "Slumdog Millionaire."

21. Makeup: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "The Dark Knight," "Hellboy II: The Golden Army."

22. Animated Short Film: "La Maison en Petits Cubes," "Lavatory — Lovestory," "Oktapodi," "Presto," "This Way Up."

There is the list if anyone wants to talk about some of the films.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Do I calculate correctly that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is nominated for thirteen Oscars?
    Isn't that a bit over the top? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haven't seen the movie yet but from the reactions i read about, if the total amount is that, i'd say so, yes.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And Kirk Lazarus gets a nomination! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    22. Animated Short Film: "La Maison en Petits Cubes," "Lavatory — Lovestory," "Oktapodi," "Presto," "This Way Up."

This sounds like a film I need to see.

I suspect it would be flush with delights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm just hoping the audiences won't be leaving their seats.
    Up.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Swap FROST/NIXON for SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, and that's pretty much what I was guessing a week or so ago.

SLUMDOG is now the preemptive front runner, just because of the Golden Globes, and the Academy's ignorance about the way original score is actually different from needle dropped songs, especially in a film like SLUMDOG where music is rather effective and prominent. But... the score? Not so much.

Look for a BABEL re-tread. Otherwise, I'd guess BENJAMIN BUTTON has a good shot at it.

Thomas Newman also now has a good shot at getting his Oscar. And like cousin Randy, it won't be for a score.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  1. as for the score, no real score jumps out, no one will be remembered as a classic and that bothers me confused

as for the actors, I'm wondering if Kate Winslet will finally win it and Heath Ledger will claim it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    as for the actors, I'm wondering if Kate Winslet will finally win it and Heath Ledger will claim it

freezing That would be way more scary than his performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

freezing That would be way more scary than his performance.

You didn't like his performance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I loved his performance!

I just don't particularly want to see him actually come up and claim anything this side of the Rapture.
    Unless accompanied by appropriate zombie music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shit, I do! That would be awesome! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    dgoldwas wrote
    SLUMDOG is now the preemptive front runner, just because of the Golden Globes, and the Academy's ignorance about the way original score is actually different from needle dropped songs, especially in a film like SLUMDOG where music is rather effective and prominent. But... the score? Not so much.

Look for a BABEL re-tread. Otherwise, I'd guess BENJAMIN BUTTON has a good shot at it.

Agree, and on the prediction for its win too. Slumdong is trendy now, who cares about quality or originality? Anyway fudge 'em.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I loved his performance!

I just don't particularly want to see him actually come up and claim anything this side of the Rapture.
    Unless accompanied by appropriate zombie music.

As long as it's music from a George A Romero's Day of The Dead with the supermarket music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Shit, I do! That would be awesome! biggrin

Especially if he comes along like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think comparisons between Slumdog's musical Oscar chances and Babel's, while inevitable, are somewhat disingenuous. The songs in Slumdog are not "needle-drops" (not in the sense that it's usually used), they're original compositions by the same guy who wrote the score and placed with the dramatic needs of the film in need. They are an organic extension of the score (and it, of them). Now, you can debate whether the approach works or not (I think it does and can't imagine any other composer having done anything better for the film, clearly lots of people don't) but comparing it with the Santaolalla/Babel situation is not really fair. He won the Oscar because of other people's music used in the film (like Anne Dudley with The Full Monty); at least if Rahman wins the Oscar because of the songs, then they are his own songs, and they're original to this film. Of course, you shouldn't win an Oscar for that reason, and I would not rank it in the same league of musical achievement as Benjamin Button, Milk or Wall-E, but we would not be looking at a Babel-style travesty.