• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Do I calculate correctly that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is nominated for thirteen Oscars?
    Isn't that a bit over the top? slant

I think the Makeup Oscar for BENJAMIN BUTTON possibly mistakes some of the visual effects work for makeup.

From the score lineup, I haven't seen SLUMDOG or DEFIANCE. It would have been nice if CHE had been thrown one bone, as they seem to like Iglesias, but c'est la vie.

Very surprised to see THE READER swing so many nominations, but not a mention for Best Score. Not that the nominating processes are highly interrelated, but it's rare that that sort of score is overlooked when the film is also a best picture nominee.

No love at all for REVOLUTIONARY ROAD, pretty much. It must be good! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    Southall wrote
    The songs in Slumdog are not "needle-drops" (not in the sense that it's usually used), they're original compositions by the same guy who wrote the score and placed with the dramatic needs of the film in need.

But does that count as "original score"? I posit that the SCORE aspects of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE were much weaker than the songs. While it all worked as a whole, comparing the compositions of BENJAMIN BUTTON, MILK, etc. to the songs of SLUMDOG is comparing apples and oranges.

If the category was "Best Usage of Music in a Film (Songs and Score)", then SLUMDOG would win hands-down, and I'd be all for it.

But that's not what the category is - even if Academy voters tend to treat it as such (sadly).
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think the Makeup Oscar for BENJAMIN BUTTON possibly mistakes some of the visual effects work for makeup.

Based on the extensive article in the current issue of Cinefex Magazine, there is a LOT of make-up work in the film that is NOT visual effects, and the Oscar nomination is certainly warranted. (And the rules state that submissions for the Makeup category "...shall be required to provide the committee with written descriptions explaining the procedures used to create the makeup achievements...", so it's hardly an uninformed decision.)
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    dgoldwas wrote
    Southall wrote
    The songs in Slumdog are not "needle-drops" (not in the sense that it's usually used), they're original compositions by the same guy who wrote the score and placed with the dramatic needs of the film in need.

But does that count as "original score"? I posit that the SCORE aspects of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE were much weaker than the songs. While it all worked as a whole, comparing the compositions of BENJAMIN BUTTON, MILK, etc. to the songs of SLUMDOG is comparing apples and oranges.

If the category was "Best Usage of Music in a Film (Songs and Score)", then SLUMDOG would win hands-down, and I'd be all for it.

But that's not what the category is - even if Academy voters tend to treat it as such (sadly).

I think we broadly agree. I think the score is effective but it's not up there with (three of) the other nominees in terms of musical achievement. I do think it's an important part of the overall musical tapestry though - and not just another Babel.
  2. dgoldwas wrote

I haven't seen the film, but it is probably what the category should be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    dgoldwas wrote

I haven't seen the film, but it is probably what the category should be.

It's what the Baftas have been doing for years!

The use of music in a film goes well beyond an original score. It seems crazy to me that you could have a film with perfect use of music, but it just happens that the majority of the music in the film wasn't composed as a score specifically for that film, and there's no way of recognising that fact. Music in a film is one of the most important elements, and it's sometimes very valid for a director to choose not to use an original score. Of course, the likes of us will go apoplectic, but I think "Best use of music in a film" would be a far more appropriate category than "Best Song", which seems a relic of an age which hasn't existed for at least 40 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    My FSM post regurgitated-

I was kind of surprised that Slumdog got a score nomination since I thought that that kind of 'Bolly meets hip-hop meets electronica' was going to be too alien for the music branch. But aside from Slumdog, that's a good set of nominations.

The song nominations are crazy! Were there not enough candidates? But perhaps there's something about the preferential voting system that's at fault-- Variety has a nice article behind on it-

"One caveat: A contender has to receive at least one first-place vote. The thinking is that if a person got zero first-place finishes, maybe he doesn’t deserve a nomination."
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_art … 98897.html

Rahman surely deserves the song nomination. It sucks to have two of them in the same category though (they might cancel out each other).

Nevertheless, it's nice to see Rahman get some recognition like this. What he did to Indian film music was in many ways what Morricone, Goldsmith and Williams did to film music this side of the globe.

He doesn't think much of the score himself. On the scoring process he said he had a few months of discussion but did the whole thing in 3 weeks.
  3. There is a very stringent voting system for songs these days whereby only songs that beat a certain cutoff point can be selected for nomination. Strangely enough, this has done little for the quality of songs being nominated! As James says (my favourite opening sentence strategy this week), it's a category that has long since outlived its heyday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009
    Michael you certainly need to see "The Reader" as it was my humble selection for picture of the year. While I didn't feel the score deserved a nomination I did find that it was well suited to the film.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009
    A very nice article from the Wall Street Journal on the score contenders this year-

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123310214254822087.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    I'm confident that I'll be disappointed this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    It would be remiss of me not to point out that reviews of all the Oscar nominees are now up at www.movie-wave.net. I did Wall-E ages ago, and added the other four a few days ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    I'll be watching with a close eye as to how 'The Reader' will fare.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009 edited
    http://www.cinematical.com/2009/02/18/o … rs-leaked/
    shocked

Music (Score): Defiance
    Music (Song): Down to Earth (Wall-E)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    No way, it's Slumdong biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Likely you'll be correct
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods

I highly doubt that the firm of blah blah blah & blah blah blah let this leak.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I doubt also
  4. Pricewaterhouse & Coopers, that is?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pricewaterhouse & Coopers, that is?

Right... I should have said Who Cares & Why Should I Give A F__k

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    And one could also say Who Cares & Why Should we Give A F__k about the Oscars. It´s just a TV show.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    And one could also say Who Cares & Why Should we Give A F__k about the Oscars. It´s just a TV show.

That I can't agree with! If you see the behind the scenes it's not just a TV show. It's one of the most watched TV shows of the year! The event might not interest you but this is a HUGE television production!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

That I can't agree with! If you see the behind the scenes it's not just a TV show. It's one of the most watched TV shows of the year! The event might not interest you but this is a HUGE television production!

-Erik-

I agree. As a TV show is probably the biggest event of the year (maybe only below the Super Bowl?) and I used to watch it all, many years ago (I spent the night watching the Oscars actually, as they started at 2AM here). But I have to admit now I see it as a pure big party of the show business.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    It is Hollywood's Super Bowl.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

I agree with Marselus on this one. Why should I care about a big party thrown by celebrities for celebrities. It's just Hollywood giving itself a big "atta boy" and pat on the back. There is no other industry where the employees can throw a giant party, trying to convince one another that they all matter, and people actually care! It's all just a popularity contest anyway. Real quality isn't rewarded as much as hollywoods darlings are. It is indeed a huge production, but I don't care much for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

I agree with Marselus on this one. Why should I care about a big party thrown by celebrities for celebrities. It's just Hollywood giving itself a big "atta boy" and pat on the back. There is no other industry where the employees can throw a giant party, trying to convince one another that they all matter, and people actually care! It's all just a popularity contest anyway. Real quality isn't rewarded as much as hollywoods darlings are. It is indeed a huge production, but I don't care much for it.

But it is still one helluva show! That's my point! It not just some ordinary TV show. This is the big one... whether you are interested in the content or not.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BhelPuri wrote
    http://www.cinematical.com/2009/02/18/o … rs-leaked/
    shocked

Music (Score): Defiance
    Music (Song): Down to Earth (Wall-E)

That's fake methinks. Slumdog is gonna bag both of those wink tongue (though I'm still rooting for JNH for the score award)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

But it is still one helluva show! That's my point! It not just some ordinary TV show. This is the big one... whether you are interested in the content or not.

-Erik-

It's totally unimportant? - Check!

Am I interested? - Check!

Will I care about the results? - Hmmmm? uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote

The only reason I'd care about the results is that it's one of the few places that the "general public" hears about film music away from the movies themselves. And I suppose that there will be people who will mark film music by what wins at the Oscars, BAFTAs, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

The only reason I'd care about the results is that it's one of the few places that the "general public" hears about film music away from the movies themselves. And I suppose that there will be people who will mark film music by what wins at the Oscars, BAFTAs, etc.

The general public my friend, hears about BEST ACTOR, ACTRESS, MOVIE and MAYBE director, and then changes the channel.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.