• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    I haven't heard ANY of the score nominees or seen the respective films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone else noticed how disappointed Thomas Newman looked when he lost?

The disappointment was written all over his face even before the winner was announced.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009 edited
    Final List -

Best Motion Picture of the Year
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Christian Colson

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
    Winner: Sean Penn for Milk (2008/I)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
    Winner: Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008)

Best Achievement in Directing
    Winner: Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
    Winner: Okuribito (2008)(Japan)

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - A.R. Rahman, Sampooran Singh Gulzar("Jai Ho")

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - A.R. Rahman

Best Achievement in Editing
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Chris Dickens

Best Achievement in Sound
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
    Winner: The Dark Knight (2008) - Richard King

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
    Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
    Winner: Smile Pinki (2008) - Megan Mylan

Best Documentary, Features
    Winner: Man on Wire (2008) - James Marsh, Simon Chinn

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
    Winner: Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008)

Best Short Film, Live Action
    Winner: Spielzeugland (2007) - Jochen Alexander Freydank

Best Achievement in Cinematography
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Anthony Dod Mantle

Best Achievement in Makeup
    Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - Greg Cannom

Best Achievement in Costume Design
    Winner: The Duchess (2008) - Michael O'Connor

Best Achievement in Art Direction
    Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo

Best Short Film, Animated
    Winner: Maison en petits cubes, La (2008) - Kunio Kato

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
    Winner: WALL-E (2008) - Andrew Stanton

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
    Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Simon Beaufoy

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
    Winner: Milk (2008/I) - Dustin Lance Black

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
    Winner: Penelope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep How many friggin' time wasting montages were there?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    I am still waiting for the Montage Tribute to Midget Women Stunt Performers in Film, but once again the Academy let me down.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    DemonStar wrote
    Final List -

Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - A.R. Rahman, Sampooran Singh Gulzar("Jai Ho")

If I had my film-score-fan hat on then I'd have felt sad for Desplat. But I wore my Indian hat today so cheesy
    Congrats ARR! Whether he deserves it for best score or not is a different issue. But it's nice to see someone like him who make a seminal contribution to film music, get this kind of recognition.
  1. I'm glad for Kate Winslet, she deserves her Oscar

Considering I haven't seen nor heard Slumdog Millionaire, I'm not going to comment on it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Anyone else noticed how disappointed Thomas Newman looked when he lost?

Peter biggrin

He always does! I hope his day comes before long. He deserved to win this year, but it was an unusually strong set of nominees.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Considering I haven't seen nor heard Slumdog Millionaire, I'm not going to comment on it

Likewise, but you know with all the attention it's getting it can't be that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Now that guy owns more Oscars than Jerry, Alex and Ennio combined!

vomit

Throw Bernard in there and it's even... but that makes the stats even more vomit

-Erik-

Yeah, the travesty that began with Santaolalla, is now complete. Huge thumbs down.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    DemonStar wrote
    Best Original Score - A.R. Rahman for "Slumdog Millionaire"

I knew it for 100% sure.

:sad but not surprised:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BhelPuri wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Final List -

If I had my film-score-fan hat on then I'd have felt sad for Desplat. But I wore my Indian hat today so cheesy
    Congrats ARR! Whether he deserves it for best score or not is a different issue. But it's nice to see someone like him who make a seminal contribution to film music, get this kind of recognition.

Ditto! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    I liked that Giacchino got his Cloverfield-theme in there, plus that he chose to play John Williams' theme from The Lost World when Spielberg entered the scene - probably a nod to Spielberg for letting him work on the videogame score for The Lost World smile

But the general production of the show wasn't that good in my opinion. For instance there was an issue in the beginning with the curtain smile And the segment where they show the people who have died, was poorly done, because you couldn't read the names of the people! Also it seemed that some presenters were surprised that there was music during their presentations... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If Slumdog was the best that Hollywood could come up with there is little if anything at all to be said. I saw, as many of you on this board know, all of the films. While I don't know for a fact that many of them didn't see "The Reader" or "The Visitor" I suspect as much.

While I'm certainly not the target market for Slumdog I can tell you the sound was so loud I had to cover my ears at a couple of points during the film. It was a good not a great film.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Artworks wrote
    I liked that Giacchino got his Cloverfield-theme in there, plus that he chose to play John Williams' theme from The Lost World when Spielberg entered the scene - probably a nod to Spielberg for letting him work on the videogame score for The Lost World smile

But the general production of the show wasn't that good in my opinion. For instance there was an issue in the beginning with the curtain smile And the segment where they show the people who have died, was poorly done, because you couldn't read the names of the people! Also it seemed that some presenters were surprised that there was music during their presentations... smile

I didn't watch any of it.

What music was played for the 'In Memorium' section?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    don't remember. It made that much of an impression
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Me neither. So I don't know how SLUMDOG sounds or works in context. It will be interesting to find out. I'm one of those who think that Santaolalla's score for BROKEBACK was very deserved; a fine score. Same for BABEL, although I can understand the controversy there since some pieces were not written for the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Me neither. So I don't know how SLUMDOG sounds or works in context. It will be interesting to find out. I'm one of those who think that Santaolalla's score for BROKEBACK was very deserved; a fine score. Same for BABEL, although I can understand the controversy there since some pieces were not written for the film.

It didn't stop the BAFTA's nominating Mamma Mia wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    The Oscars Sucked as usuall vomit
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moonie wrote

But you still watched it "as usual" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

People frequently compare Slumdog's music with the two Santaolalla winners, but for me it's chalk and cheese. The similarity is that they're not written by a "standard" fans' favourite; but no more than that. I happened to think that Brokeback's score worked OK - it's entirely simplistic, but the film didn't need any more. It wasn't BAD by any means. Babel's win is harder to justify because the voters were plainly voting for music by other people. There may have been an element of that with Slumdog, in that people were voting for the use of music as a whole rather than specifically the score, but it DID feature what most people would call a "proper" score, which added a dramatic component to the film which otherwise wouldn't have been there (you would have a hard time saying the same for Babel) - and at least the non-score material was almost all written by the composer of the score, and the songs actually functioned in the way that score usually does.

For the record, I didn't think Slumdog featured the best score of 2008 (I thought Wall-E did, and Slumdog was probably fourth for me our of the five nominees), but its score was as good as you could have got for that film, and it's not like any of the other nominees was particularly spectacular. We're not talking about Fame beating The Empire Strikes Back, here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    moonie wrote

Why is it that the only people who moan and moan about the Oscars are the ones who watch it every year? I couldn't give a tinker's cuss about watching people of wealth beyond my imagination all congratulating each other (which is not to say I'm not curious about the results of the awards themselves); so I don't watch it. I've found it to be a pretty simply remedy, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My guess would be that people carry them side-by-side as in NOT WORTH IT. And certainly they were far better scores to choose from, in 2008. But it obviously went along with the movie being this year's flashy, trendy big thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    moonie wrote

Why is it that the only people who moan and moan about the Oscars are the ones who watch it every year? I couldn't give a tinker's cuss about watching people of wealth beyond my imagination all congratulating each other (which is not to say I'm not curious about the results of the awards themselves); so I don't watch it. I've found it to be a pretty simply remedy, really.

I never watch it either, the time difference doesn't help but even if i did, it'd be for specific categories only. I am only interested to read about the results next morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I read that the studio spent approximately ten times more money promoting The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to Oscar voters than the entire budget for Slumdog Millionaire, and if for no reason other than that, I am therefore completely delighted that it won. Spending $100m trying to get a film to win some Oscars when you look at the problems in the world is just so obscene.

(Yes, even more obscene than cooking roast potatoes in sunflower oil.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    moonie wrote

I never watch it either, the time difference doesn't help but even if i did, it'd be for specific categories only. I am only interested to read about the results next morning.

Same here beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I read that the studio spent approximately ten times more money promoting The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to Oscar voters than the entire budget for Slumdog Millionaire, and if for no reason other than that, I am therefore completely delighted that it won. Spending $100m trying to get a film to win some Oscars when you look at the problems in the world is just so obscene.

(Yes, even more obscene than cooking roast potatoes in sunflower oil.)

But that's the business side of things. Curious Case of BB was so beautiful in so many aspects, that's what i personally care about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Then according to your logic James, Warner Brothers should be forever banned to prison for the huge amount they spent on "Dark Knight." The whole damn thing is about money and all of it would be better spent in other ways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Then according to your logic James, Warner Brothers should be forever banned to prison for the huge amount they spent on "Dark Knight." The whole damn thing is about money and all of it would be better spent in other ways.

Not banned forever. I just find it distasteful. It has always been the case and will always be, so I just have to live with it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I will say that in the case of 'Crash' the people that performed in the film were the money. At least that puts a different light on it somewhat. Hollywood does employ a lot of people. At least it does that.