• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I used to underestimate Alfred back in the day. Never thought he was worth the amount of oscars he had been given. These days, I realize how wrong I was.

Aside from the classic How The West Was Won, the scores to Wuthering Heights, The Greatest Story Ever Told, The Robe, The Song of Bernadette, Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing and Captain From Castile changed my mind. He was a master with strings.

Such a legacy he left behind within his musically talented family.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    ...and he remains to my mind one of the most accessible of the Golden Age composers for those of a more modern inclination towards film scoring. In no small part due to his mastery with strings (but his ear for a tune and his fantastic work with Ken Darby sure help a lot!) biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's good that we have our own Golden Age residents too wink Thomas.....you're the one missing as we speak! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    ...and he remains to my mind one of the most accessible of the Golden Age composers for those of a more modern inclination towards film scoring. In no small part due to his mastery with strings (but his ear for a tune and his fantastic work with Ken Darby sure help a lot!) biggrin

I'd say Waxman would be the more accessible.... but that's because I hear a lot of what would be John Williams' style in Waxman's music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I have no heard any Newman score (except the Egyptian, Wich I don't like very much).

Any recommendation? you know , my favourite style is: Adventure, fantasy or epic.

thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    I have no heard any Newman score (except the Egyptian, Wich I don't like very much).

Any recommendation? you know , my favourite style is: Adventure, fantasy or epic.

thanks.

Start with my Charles Gerhardt radio show.

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/gerhardt.html

Listen to to Show 1 Hour 3. You'll hear...

20th Century Fox Fanfare and Street Scene (4:22)
    Captain from Castile (6:22)
    Airport (3:18)
    The Song of Bernadette (7:49)
    The Robe (8:32)

All of those tracks will knock you on your ass.

Also look into King Kong, The Black Swan, and How The West Was Won (even if only for the wonderful main title).

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another one that is well worth looking into is All About Eve. It was nominated for an Oscar but lost out to a pretty good score called Sunset Boulevard.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    His "The greatest story ever told" is quite amazing as well. Anyone who likes "The robe" will dig that one as well.

Peter cow
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And Newman I think was an excellent boss who had the ability to turn over projects and give opportunities to young composers such as Friedhofer and Raksin.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'd say Waxman would be the more accessible.... but that's because I hear a lot of what would be John Williams' style in Waxman's music.

-Erik-

That's an interesting point, Erik. I've not really found Waxman a particularly easy listen. Any suggestions that highlight your point?

I'd agree with Martijn when he says that Newman is one of the more accessible Golden Age composers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    That's an interesting point, Erik. I've not really found Waxman a particularly easy listen. Any suggestions that highlight your point?

I'd say it's in orchestration. He is very playful and always adding a lot of colour to his work and I find that Williams does the same thing. Even the simplest of pieces are very well orchestrated and perfectly timed to the picture yet also very musical and doesn't take away from the flow of the piece. I mean, I listen to The Ride to Dubno from Tarus Bulba. While the influence is undoubtedly Khachaturian just listen to the orchestrations... how playful the woodwinds are against the main melody. This is something I hear Williams doing all the time to enhance his scores.

Also, give Prince Valiant a listen. Lots of Williamsesque scoring in that especially the tournament trumpet fanfare. Do I hear Star Wars???

I also adore Waxman's themes. The are very lyrical, wonderfully developed and used in many interesting variations in his scores... whether just parts or in full. Williams does this to a tee as well.

Or what about the romantic string theme heard in A Place In The Sun. Williams' wonderfully romantic and lush string work is also very similar.

Look, this may all be bullshit... but that's what I hear and I guess why I have a connection with Waxman over any other Golden Age composer.

-Erik-
  3. The Snake Pit / The Three Faces Of Eve
    By Alfred Newman, Robert Emmett Dolan

CDs will begin shipping the week of October 4.

Limited Edition of 1500 copies

Music Composed by Alfred Newman and Robert Emmett Dolan

An Alfred Newman masterpiece comes to CD for the first time! Any Alfred Newman premiere is a major event but when it's one of the finest of all his scores, things get really exciting! The Snake Pit is a landmark film from 1948, which starred the great Olivia de Havilland and was directed by Anatole Litvak (Anastasia). Both were nominated for Oscars, as was Newman. Even the film itself was nominated for Best Picture.

Virginia Cunningham (de Havilland) appeared to have had an idyllic life - a nice home, a loving husband and prospects for a writing career. But, something just wasn't right. Confusion, doubts about her husband's love, even violent outbursts, led Virginia to be confined in a mental institution. She is put through a series of brutal treatments, including being forced into close quarters with patients whose disorders far exceed her own. The belief - the shock of the experience will return her to sanity.

Another classic debuts here - Robert Emmett Dolan's The Three Faces of Eve. While Dolan may not be well-known, the music for The Three Faces of Eve is, - by turns, sober and sprightly, disturbing and poignant and it's always distinctive and beautiful.

Eve White (JoAnne Woodward), a mousy, withdrawn housewife startles her husband (David Wayne) when she claims she did not buy the flashy, provocative clothes he finds in their bedroom. After she complains of blackouts, he takes her to a psychiatrist (Lee J. Cobb) who soon encounters her second personality, Eve Black, a sexy, uninhibited woman. As Eve's therapy continues, her third self, the sensible, intelligent Jane, appears to help resolve her rare multiple personality condition. Based on a true story, this acclaimed psychological drama brilliantly explores the dimensions of the human mind.

One of our finest Golden Age releases ever!

The Three Faces Of Eve

1. Eve White (7:12)
    2. Main Title (1:20)
    3. Eve Black (4:19)
    4. Hospital (3:23)
    5. Stepping Out (2:28)
    6. Hold Me (Little Jack Little, Dave Oppenheim, Ira Schuster / vocal by Joanne Woodward) (2:58)
    7. Eve And Ralph (2:27)
    8. I Never Knew (Tom Pitts, Ray Egan, Roy Marsh / vocal by Joanne Woodward) (1:09)
    9. Hypnosis (2:39)
    10. Who Is This Woman? (5:26)
    11. Eve And Bonnie / Regression (4:04)
    12. The Red Dress (3:14)
    13. Little Eve (1:25)
    14. Remembrance and Finale (3:11)

Music Composed by Robert Emmett Dolan

Conducted by Alfred Newman and Lionel Newman

The Snake Pit

15. Main Title (1:48)
    16. Virginia (1:07)
    17. Shock Treatment (2:47)
    18. Confusion (:42)
    19. Hysteria (2:59)
    20. Robert's Visit (3:22)
    21. Narco-Synthesis (1:10)
    22. Chicago (1:29)
    23. Gordon (1:49)
    24. The Crash (:58)
    25. The Bite (:58)
    26. A Box Of Candy (1:00) 27. The Past (2:07)
    28. Childhood (3:11)
    29. The Snake Pit (:54)
    30. Going Home (includes excerpt from the “New World” Symphony #9, by Antonin Dvorak)

Music Composed and Conducted by Alfred Newman
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    I can't think of the last Alfred Newman release that wasn't a limited edition. If you don't put a number on it will people not buy it?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010 edited
    It part of the licensing. If you don't put a number on it would never get released. Now, do what Arnold says and be thankful that you now have a copy... that is if you purchased it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    So classical material falls into a different category? I'm talking about new material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010
    I'm sure they could release this in retail stores if they wanted to (this licensing restriction business is a load of bullshit if you ask me - the AFM relaxed the rules years ago but the labels are very happy for people to still think they can only release extremely limited quantities of things). We all know the reasons why they don't - nobody would buy it. The only way the business model works is that people are forced to think "If I don't buy this today, it might not be around tomorrow."

I have no idea whether to get this or not. I do know that by the time anyone hears it, it will be sold out, so I have to make my decision now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010
    Southall wrote
    I'm sure they could release this in retail stores if they wanted to (this licensing restriction business is a load of bullshit if you ask me - the AFM relaxed the rules years ago but the labels are very happy for people to still think they can only release extremely limited quantities of things). We all know the reasons why they don't - nobody would buy it. The only way the business model works is that people are forced to think "If I don't buy this today, it might not be around tomorrow."

I have no idea whether to get this or not. I do know that by the time anyone hears it, it will be sold out, so I have to make my decision now.

Agree with you 100% James. For your information both movies are reasonable to buy and well worth having in your collection of material. Enjoy the music that way. I've had the tsanumi for a long time and have never revisited it since Captain from Castile was released by SAE.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    A point of reference was Alfred Newman had to be added as a composer when I published Captain From Castile for the first time. I know we've been over this but I just find it so sad. And this post has a whopping 17 comments.
  4. Alfred Newman, in fact most of the "standard" Golden Age style, is a bit of an acquired taste for listeners more used to more modern composing styles. The seeming reliance on large sections of strings (wasn't there actually an informal term describing this style of composing) is quite dated (this has nothing to do with the quality of the music) and isn't to everyone's taste.

And I'd rather have 17 comments on the music rather than hundreds of comments bemoaning the fact that no one is commenting on specific composers.

There's lots of current composers who merit some exposure that don't - and a lot of that is to do with the fact that their music is available only as digital downloads.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    To me Alan this is like being a big baseball fan and ignoring Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb. He is one of the original 6 icons. I could name an entire batch of lesser known composers such as Kay, Ludlow, Jones, etc. who were really minor composers. I'm glad at least that you understand my friend
  5. I think a lot of people who have an interest in film and television music don't have much interest in the history of the music. It's an interest in music that's easily accessible and that they enjoy listening to. This is fine and I'm not saying that everyone should have an interest in the history of this genre.

I'd say personally that they are missing a great deal of good music and it adds to the appreciation today to have at least some idea of the path down which the great (and not so great) composers have gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Again I say I'm interested in Tchaikovsky but nothing before him eliminating Beethoven. Horsefeathers
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Again I say I'm interested in Tchaikovsky but nothing before him eliminating Beethoven. Horsefeathers

You're really fond of this band, aren't you? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the lack of golden age interest just saddens me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/c … tornewman/

A new release from Kritzerland of nice Newman material
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    Really looking forward to hearing this. Should arrive any day now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    I'm glad that there is at least one Newman supporter James cheesy You'll have to tell me if you think the strings sound different. That 20th Century Fox orchestra was pretty special.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    the lack of golden age interest just saddens me

Wow!!! This is entry #28 in almost 4 years. This maybe the only thread where the composer has more Oscar nominations (45) than posts.

Anyway I'm enjoying A Certain Smile a new release from La-La Land. No one could write for strings quite like Alfred.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011
    Am I right in thinking that only Walt Disney has more Oscar nominations than Newman?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. If we had to post a comment here at the same time we commented on another thread then his total would be a lot bigger.

Wasn't a lot of his nominations because he was head of music rather than because he did the music?