• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009
    The future seems bleak, but the more I scavenge around IMDB, the more awesome stuff I keep reminding myself about:

Transormers 2 - Revenge Of the Fallen
    Terminator: Salvation
    Angels And Demons
    Fast And Furious
    Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs
    Star Trek

There's more...but what is everyone else looking forward to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009 edited
    Avatar first and foremost. Then Star Trek. Then maybe Angels & Demons as Zimmer's sequel scores always seem to better than the originals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm looking forward to -

Angels And Demons
    Transformers 2 - Revenge Of the Fallen
    Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs
    Star Trek
    G.I. Joe
    Night At The Museum 2
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (just curious if Hooper did it better wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Avatar first and foremost. Then Star Trek. Then maybe Angels & Demons as Zimmer's sequel scores always seem to better the originals.

Pretty much the same here, particularly the first two you mentioned. Angels & Demons could be good!? To be honest I don't know much about the story arc for this one but I do quite enjoy Da Vinci. If I'd been director I'd have gone all out to get JOHN WILLIAMS on Da Vinci, Williams in "religious" mode is a force to be reckoned with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think the new Terminator movie is my most anticipated. Trailer alone = friggin' awesome! punk kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Avatar first and foremost. Then Star Trek. Then maybe Angels & Demons as Zimmer's sequel scores always seem to better the originals.

Pretty much the same here, particularly the first two you mentioned. Angels & Demons could be good!? To be honest I don't know much about the story arc for this one but I do quite enjoy Da Vinci. If I'd been director I'd have gone all out to get JOHN WILLIAMS on Da Vinci, Williams in "religious" mode is a force to be reckoned with.

No disagreement here! I think I'd prefer to have heard Horner's version too, but I'm happy with what we have on album from Zimmer. (Shame it's such a bad score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    While Da Vinci Code is a book with better researched material and complex plot, Angels and Demons IMO has a more action filled plot, a sense of urgency and terror and still good historical/scientific stuff (though quite some factual errors) and I enjoyed it far more than DVC, though the latter had a very nice and much better ending IMO. I feel Zimmer can deliver a great score here!

SPOILER

And the assassin in Angels and Demons is much more horrid and violent than the one in DVC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    I still think that Da Vinci Code is a good movie as such but the story is just so silly... if this makes any sense. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas wrote
    I still think that Da Vinci Code is a good movie as such but the story is just so silly... if this makes any sense. dizzy

A silly story and a silly book, I honestly can't for the life of me figure out why Da Vinci became such a massive seller, the writing is atrocious, sure, it's a page turner but then so are lots of better books.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Just one for me-
    Giuseppe Tornatore's Baaria (and Morricone's score)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek
    The Tree of Life
    Public Enemies (new Goldenthal and nobody's mentioned it yet!?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    Just one for me-
    Guiseppe Tornatore's Baaria (and Morricone's score)

Oh OK, that one too. (Hadn't even heard of it!)
  1. Southall wrote

Why shouldn't he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Michael Mann´s Public Enemies.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    A similar discussion here:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … lm-scores/

And if you haven't already, check this out:

http://www.upcomingfilmscores.com

Cheers,

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not just talking about scores though. I was actually hoping we would focus move on movies. smile wink
  2. Films that look interesting...

Public Enemies (Michael Mann doing a period cops and robbers story)

Tetro (Coppola doing another spurious art film, now in Argentina)

Men That Stare At Goats (Grant Heslov - looks truly brilliant)

Mary and Max (clay-animation from Harvey Krumpet director)

Mr Nobody (an English language Belgian film that looks truly intriguing)

Nailed (from I Heart Huckabees director... this could be the one that either keeps me coming to his films, or sends me away forever)

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Miyazaki's latest)

The Informant (Soderbergh's new corporate whistleblower film with Matt Damon - I'm also keen as mustard to see CHE, his last film)

24 City (Zhang Jia-ke's next film, which showed at Cannes in 2008)

Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus (if only to see how once-great director Terry Gilliam intercuts btw Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law playing the same role).

Inglorious Bastards (Tarantino hired Maggie cheung to play a role, hired Morricone to write music for it, and thereby guaranteed my patronage)

The International (corporate thriller from director Tom Tykwer, who made Perfume and Heaven)

Let the Right One In (after all the talk about this vampire film, I can't wait)

Knowing (Nicolas Cage is in it, which makes me run for it, but Alex Proyas directs it, which makes me curious...)

The Lovely Bones (Peter Jackson returns to the scale of Heavenly Creatures - good move after KK - he better start taming that running time again though)

Tree of Life (Malick - director is a no-brainer for me, but the material could be a worry)

The new Scorsese thriller set on Long Island (can't remember the name)

The Fighter (Darren Aronofsky film)

Green Zone (new Paul Greengrass film - see in Iraq's so-called 'Emerald City')

The Hurt Locker (new Karen Bigelow Iraq war film - apparently incredibly nerve-wracking tense sequences)

Mao's Last Dancer (the music written for the source cues is so good, I want to see how the filmmaker lives up to it)

Duplicity (Michael Clayton was well-made, here the same storyteller does a romantic film between corporate spies)

Up (any Pixar film gets a look)

9 (style of animation looks strong - not sure if the story will be)

Edge of Darkness (interesting to see a director come back and re-do a story that brought him to fame - in this case Martin Campbell, who went on to become a Bond saviour)

Adoration (Atom Egoyan film), Agora (Amenebar's film about Roman Egypt - could be good), Bright Star (Jane Campion film), Avatar and Broken Embraces could all be good too

There are also a whole bunch of 2008 releases I'm keen to see, including SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED and CHE.

I find these days that the films I really enjoy are the ones I never knew were coming. I had no idea any of the five best films I saw in 2008 existed at the start of the year (The Edge of Heaven, Aleksandra, Hunger, Flight of the Red Balloon and Of Time and the City). Great non-American non-genre films tend not to have strong marketing campaigns, so you tend not to see them coming a mile off.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009 edited
    Okay then.... my most expected movies and the top reason for me to see them...

5) Angels & Demons
    Hans Zimmer.

4) Terminator Salvation
    I´ve waited 25 years to see this.

3) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    Emma Watson.

2) Star Trek
    The Trailer.

1) Avatar
    Come on, it´s the new James Cameron movie.

BUT just in case they get it done in 2009 (which I doubt), my #1 movie will be...

Nottingham
    Because Ridley Scott is god and his take on Robin Hood will rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

4) Terminator Salvation

You've waited what now? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Unless there´s a grammatical error I´m not aware of, I don´t know what you mean...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, no errors or anything; it's the actual prospect of someone actually waiting THAT long for a Terminator movie that i kidded. But then again, if we all were the same, we would bore the heck out of each of us wink
  3. The Terminator came out in 1984, so it´s 25 years, as much as I regret to say it. And since first seeing it I wanted to know more about John Connor and that future war. The Matrix had a nice take on it, but now I want to see the real thing. And Christian Bale is the absolutely best rocking choice ever for that character.

It´s not that I sat in front of a theatre and banged on their doors for 25 years, but the sheer power and atmosphere of the scenes from that bunker in the future, of the few survivors living in tunnels below the surface, combined with Fiedel´s awesome track accompanying it, did have their impact on me. And the closing scene with Sarah driving off into the desert, with the storm looming above her, always made me want to see how her story continued...

What followed then was nowhere near as exciting as that first movie, though The Sarah Connor Chronicles is the closest thing sometimes. I´m really amazed how that series manages to capture the atmosphere of the first movie every now and then.

So, I´m not a Terminator fan, but I loved the story and atmosphere of the first one, and I always wanted more of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can understand that, i was just teasing you. I too want to see that however, despite the fact that i was never a Terminator fan. The trailer looks very, very promising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    2009 releases in the US:

Princess And The Frog
    Hand-drawn animation NEVER dies.

UP
    I doubt I can see it in 2009. huh

Untitled James L. Brooks Project aka How Do You Know?
    I really loved (almost) all his films especially Spanglish. And when he and Hans Zimmer get together, there must be something I will love! lick

Untitled Nancy Meyers Project
    I'm just curious who will score this. Not much expectation for the film itself.

2009 releases in Japan

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (25 July)
    Scrat rules. So does Scratte.

BOLT (1 August)
    Our release date is unbelievable. They'll release Bedtime Stories much earlier (28 March).
    vomit for Disney Japan
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I didn't know they release movies in Japan so late. Is it just Disney or every distributor does the same?
  4. Miya wrote
    2009 releases in Japan

BOLT (1 August)
    Our release date is unbelievable. They'll release Bedtime Stories much earlier (28 March).
    vomit for Disney Japan

shocked
    Well, at least they release Bolt here (Thailand) quite a bit earlier (5 March). Bedtime Stories was released last year already.

Me? From the tentative Thailand release, I am looking forward to...

Jan: Defiance, Red Cliff 2, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Feb: 20th Century Boys: Chapter 2, Push
    Mar: Bolt
    Apr: Frost/Nixon

And the unscheduled films as in several lists above.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

4) Terminator Salvation

You've waited what now? wink

I'm with Ralph on this, looking forward to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    We have a member from Thailand! I didn't knew. How awesome!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    We have a member from Thailand! I didn't knew. How awesome!

Sawatdee Kha! wave
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote
    BOLT (1 August)
    vomit for Disney Japan

My God! And I thought having to wait until February was bad! shocked