• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009
    Why not? That score sounds cliched yes, but kick-ass as well!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The battle cues in King Arthur are really excellent though. As are the track titles! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Les Aventures De Tintin - Ray Parker and co.

Felt like playing this childhood favourite after I read this - http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20090204/90 … p-for.html

So Secret Of The Unicorn will be the first adapted comic. I can only hope John Williams comes onboard to create another pirate score along the lines of Hook! punk

Don't get your hopes too high, remember the last Spielberg film with a hotly anticipated Williams score?

Yes, and as I recall, it matched every expectation I had of it! Not sure what point you're making?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    TYLER BATES - watchmen

With all seriousness, i am struggling to apprehend how this man continues to get hired; for anything.

I thought you said you wouldn't do this to yourself anymore!? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009 edited
    NP:King Arthur (Zimmer)

It sounds very much like Ancient magic (or it is just me?). And that is ironic, because the movie tried to be realistic. So Why Zimmer did this kind of Sound? I don't know. But it's coooooooooooool Dude!

This movie tried to be realistic?? Epic fail!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Why not? That score sounds cliched yes, but kick-ass as well!

The players seem rather bored though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

Can't get enough of this lately. spin cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    TYLER BATES - watchmen

With all seriousness, i am struggling to apprehend how this man continues to get hired; for anything.

Well; epic mistake.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    TYLER BATES - watchmen

Well; epic mistake.

But have you really learnt a lesson this time? wink
  2. Played earlier: Cefalonia (Ennio Morricone)

When listening to this I wish I would give this composer more listens, because this is yet another highly melodic and lyrical work that I don't hear nearly enough in my life. I wish I was more a fan of his work, sadly I have but a few scores by this man, most of the times I hear his music I wished I wasn't so damned ignorant before, by completely dismissing this genius of a man.

Played now: First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith)

The regular album. First class scoring from the master of action adventure films!!! And to know there's an even better bootleg available. But this short one makes me soar to heaven with its high energy action tracks and outstanding emotional outbursts. The two final tracks show Jerry at the top of his game. Somehow I doubt we'll ever hear something like this again from anyone else...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PAN'S LABYRINTH - Javier Navarrete

A lovely score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote

A lovely score. cool

A masterpiece! Have you also heard other works by Navarrete?

NP: A Time to Kill - Elliot Goldenthal
    I've had it for over a year and a half, but somehow never got round to listening to it. I also expected a Michael Collins kind of dramatic score with some harsh touches, but this shows surprisingly much of the atonal, avant garde Goldenthal that I love! Deliciously harsh at times, yet touchingly moody at other times (sax), it's good to hear quality stuff after, ahem, stuff like Watchmen.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Twilight (Carter Burwell)

Let's see what the fuzz is all about

What fuss? It's his least interesting score this year, by far. Want pure Burwell gold? BURN AFTER READING and IN BRUGES are you scores smile

In Bruges I wasn't so impressed with. Yet to hear Burn after Reading

NP: The Perfect Storm (James Horner)

Don't know why I don't listen to this one more often. The way he keeps it all melodic is what most composers can't even create in a minute. Good stuff Mr Horner
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You really should hear that one. In Bruges is nice and delicately composed, but it's Burn After Reading, with its very fine thematics, mood-setting (and use of percussion!) that really got me.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You really should hear that one. In Bruges is nice and delicately composed, but it's Burn After Reading, with its very fine thematics, mood-setting (and use of percussion!) that really got me.

I have it Bob, I just haven't got around it to hearing it yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Don't know why I don't listen to this one more often. The way he keeps it all melodic is what most composers can't even create in a minute. Good stuff Mr Horner

Great stuff, Mr. Horner! Truly one of my favourites. Yes, he uses a lot of motifs and familiar techniques he's used many a time before, but that's Horner, that's what he does. And I think with The Perfect Storm, he uses them in all the right ways in all the right places. It should be called The Perfect Score! (IMO.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

A lovely score. cool

A masterpiece! Have you also heard other works by Navarrete?

NP: A Time to Kill - Elliot Goldenthal
    I've had it for over a year and a half, but somehow never got round to listening to it. I also expected a Michael Collins kind of dramatic score with some harsh touches, but this shows surprisingly much of the atonal, avant garde Goldenthal that I love! Deliciously harsh at times, yet touchingly moody at other times (sax), it's good to hear quality stuff after, ahem, stuff like Watchmen.

Only The Devil's Backbone, I will get around to hearing more, I like the little I've heard of Navarrete so far.
  5. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Great stuff, Mr. Horner! Truly one of my favourites. Yes, he uses a lot of motifs and familiar techniques he's used many a time before, but that's Horner, that's what he does. And I think with The Perfect Storm, he uses them in all the right ways in all the right places. It should be called The Perfect Score! (IMO.)

It surprises me how much sometimes this score sounds like The Spiderwick Chronicles, in the underscore at times
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It surprises me how much sometimes this score sounds like The Spiderwick Chronicles, in the underscore at times

...but.... better, right?
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Yeah but with 100 times the action, I think this is the last true great action score from Horner. Full of excitement the new generation can only dream of writing...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a culmination of what makes post-80s Horner so brilliant!
  7. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

...but.... better, right?

I appreciate The Spiderwick Chronicles a lot (especially when heard in the movie), but The Perfect Storm is indeed better
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Return Of The Jedi | John Williams

Oh how I wish someone did decent re-recordings of these. I long to hear The Battle Of Endor cues in great quality. sad

Edit: Or do whatever they did to make the Indy box set sound so good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spiderwick Chronicles is nowhere near the brilliance of THE PERFECT STORM.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Spiderwick Chronicles is nowhere near the brilliance of THE PERFECT STORM.

perhaps, but it is much better than most of what we heard in 2008
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Oh how I wish someone did decent re-recordings of these. I long to hear The Battle Of Endor cues in great quality. sad

The box set sounds great!

If any recordings need doing I'd rather they were of scores that REALLY needed doing ( Conan The Barbarian and the like ), though we ARE talking Star Wars here and a re-recording would sale far better than the like of a more deserving Conan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Well, the Arista Box sounds great! And if you are looking for a solid re-recording of Jedi check out Charles Gerhardt's recording on RCA Victor!

Anthony wrote

Well, it depends on what source material you are working with.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Independence Day - David Arnold

Need. More. Big. Arnold. Things. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BARRY GRAY | thunderbids

Yah! What a theme. I want to be a member of the Tracey family, preferable the guy who runs the Thunderbird 2. What an awesome machine. Beats all transformers!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Bregt wrote
    BARRY GRAY | thunderbids

Yah! What a theme. I want to be a member of the Tracey family, preferable the guy who runs the Thunderbird 2. What an awesome machine. Beats all transformers!

Did you pick up one of the Thunderbirds CD releases Bregt ?
    If so , which one did you get ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"