• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    ... a bit like Pol Pot phoning up his local council and complaining that his next door neighbour should be arrested because he plays music too loud.

Please explain where and how I can sue you for damages for doing my back in due to a hysterical laughing fit. Thank you.

I understand you're pain because I laughed my arse off too!

You really did kill me this time James biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Earlier today while out I popped in my CD-R COMPILATIN 6 (overly explanitory tracks and names are for someone I made a copy for), which is as follows:

AN UNFINISHED LIFE (Rejected score; Christopher Young)
    1. "Unfinished Life" 3:27

STARGATE: SG1 (TV Series, Richard Band)
    2. Episode: "Cold Lazarus" (edited by me) 2:22

PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE (Danny Elfman)
    3. "Breakfast Machine" 2:38
    4. "Stunt Bike" 1:13
    5. (UNTITLED) 2:04
    6. "Hitchhike" 0:59

PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES (Ira Newborn)
    7. "Train Station Blue" 1:39

DUE SOUTH (1994 TV series; John McCarthy, Jay Semko, & Jack Lenz)
    8. "Cabin Music" 3:01

GHOST (Maurice Jarre)
    9. "Carl" (inaccurate cue name) 1:02
    10. "Molly" 1:10

LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL (Eric Serra)
    11. (UNTITLED) 3:45
    12. (UNTITLED) 3:05

DUE SOUTH (1994 TV series; John McCarthy, Jay Semko, & Jack Lenz)
    13. "Horses" 2:33

MARIO BROS. (Movie based on old Nintendo game; Alan Silvestri)
    14. "Inviting Daisey" 1:21

CAPRICE (Frank DeVol, R.I.P.)
    15. "The Fountain" 2:36

TOMMY BOY (David Newman)
    16. "New Stewards / Bathroom Disaster" 2:58

ICE AGE 1 (David Newman)
    17. "Main Title" 1:21

"CHiPs" (TV series, Season 3; Alan Silvestri)
    18. "I'll Ride With You" 3:48
    19. "Go Home Valley!" (Edited by me, from un-used song for the show -- scrapped from air) 1:43

ALMOST AN ANGEL (Maurice Jarre)
    20. "Almost an Angel" (Edit, first 1:00)
    21. "Let There Be Light" 4:08

GHOST (Maurice Jarre)
    22. "End Credits" 4:16

THE BOOK OF STARS (Richard Gibbs)
    23. "Main Title" 3:03

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (TV series, Season 4; Christophe Beck)
    24. Episode: "Restless" -- "Willow's nightmare / First Rage / Chain of Ancients" 5:04
    25. Episode: "Hush" -- "Silent Night / First Kiss / Enter the Gentlemen" 6:56

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (TV series, Season 1; Ron Jones)
    26. Episode: "Heart of Glory" -- "Moment of Decision" (Edit, first 1:07)

DUE SOUTH (1994 TV series, Season 1; John McCarthy, Jay Semko, & Jack Lenz)
    27. Episode: "Victoria's Secret" -- "Victoria's Secret" 3:15

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (TV series, Season 4; Christophe Beck)
    28. Episode: "The Gift" -- "Sacrifice" 2:57

Listened to tracks 14 to 18, and 20 & 21.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

Moonlight Flight! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Hellraiser by Christopher Young

If you could waltz with evil incarnate, this is what it would sound like.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Water - Mychael Danna

Stunning!

Couldn't agree more and i'd urge anyone who liked what Rahman did for Slumdog Millionaire, to check this out as well as his gorgeously exotic Monsoon Wedding, Lilies and The Sweet Hereafter . Danna's a very gifted artist, his take on a cool and hip animated movie such as SURF'S UP stunned me the other day when i viewed the film. And here i was desperately thinking that all cool and hip us animated movies will be forever scored in the usual messy and mickey-mousey way biggrin wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Water - Mychael Danna

Stunning!

Couldn't agree more and i'd urge anyone who liked what Rahman did for Slumdog Millionaire, to check this out as well as his gorgeously exotic Monsoon Wedding, Lilies and The Sweet Hereafter . Danna's a very gifted artist, his take on a cool and hip animated movie such as SURF'S UP stunned me the other day when i viewed the film. And here i was desperately thinking that all cool and hip us animated movies will be forever scored in the usual messy and mickey-mousey way biggrin wink

Water is like Slumdog Millionaire? I love Water...but I am afraid of Slumdog Millionaire...is it really similar?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009 edited
    shocked

They're couldn't be MORE dissimilar!
    D. is urging anyone whol liked Slumdog Millionaire -which he detests- to take a listen to the -in his opinion- far superior Water.

I don't disagree, actually: I do like Slumdog for the fun element, but Water (or Fire) are BY FAR the more superior and lovely film scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Played:

Pane e liberta - Ennio Morricone

While this is certainly a good score I just cannot call it "great" as so many of the listeners before me did. Somehow it cannot "grab" me the way as much as many other scores of the Maestro can. About 7,5/10

The New World - James Horner

One word: BEAUTIFUL!
    Absolutely 10/10 punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Water - Mychael Danna

Stunning!

I coudln't agree more with the guy who couldn't agree more with what Southall Said.

NP:Beyong Rangoon (Zimmer)

I'm agree with myself that I enjoy much more this score than The Last Samurai (it doesn't mean is better than LS, thought).

In my Zimmer's top 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote

In One Word: Sugar.

Well, I think If I love Zimmer using thunders, Powell uses Bubble Machines....Horner using birds is...too obvious? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Nautilus wrote
    keky wrote

In One Word: Sugar.

Well, I think If I love Zimmer using thunders, Powell uses Bubble Machines....Horner using birds is...too obvious? dizzy

Well, actually you can only hear the birds for about 4 minutes in the entire score which is more than 70 minutes long. Anyway, I love the birds! (as long as they are not vultures or something...)
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I love birds too! Even vultures! biggrin

NP: Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

And wild geese are one of the most awesome birds! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

D. is urging anyone whol liked Slumdog Millionaire -which he detests- to take a listen to the -in his opinion- far superior Water.

I don't disagree, actually: I do like Slumdog for the fun element, but Water (or Fire) are BY FAR the more superior and lovely film scores.

Of course! The only thing that is equal is Rahman's name. It's (according to an Indian review I read) very close to the nature of Indian music, even with the added Western orchestra. Is that true.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

Of course! The only thing that is equal is Rahman's name. It's (according to an Indian review I read) very close to the nature of Indian music, even with the added Western orchestra. Is that true.

No idea, but it's wonderful music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote

biggrin

Subtile, very subtile wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring/The Two Towers/The Return Of The King Howard Shore (conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra having also orchestrated the music himself)*

Got work to be doing, so I'm playing all three Lord Of The Rings scores back-to-back. You know, Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers and of course The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King.**

I'd forgotten how awesomely amazingly awesome these scores really are.

*Note the distinct lack of acronyms.

**No really
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Laughing out loud
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mega rolling on floor laughing my arse off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Band Of Brothers - Michael Kamen

A deeply moving, thematic and atmospheric work with a simply gorgeous title theme. Top television scoring. I wonder who they'll get to score HBO's upcoming The Pacific?

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    NP: Band Of Brothers - Michael Kamen

A deeply moving, thematic and atmospheric work with a simply gorgeous title theme. Top television scoring. I wonder who they'll get to score HBO's upcoming The Pacific?

cool

Probably that all-too prolific composer Justin Boggan. It should really go to more deserving composers than Zimm-- Boggan. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Water - Mychael Danna

Stunning!

Water is like Slumdog Millionaire? I love Water...but I am afraid of Slumdog Millionaire...is it really similar?

No, WATER is proper Indian-influenced music based on ethnomusicology (based on what i know from the uni) and mixes with western orchestral music; a formal approach. Slumdog Millionaire is more oriented towards the popular character and side of that music and culture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

No idea, but it's wonderful music.

Indeed. See my post above smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Miya wrote

NP: Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

And wild geese are one of the most awesome birds! punk

Good choice Miya ... wink

Do you have the expanded version or the regular release ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Flesh & Blood - Basil Poledouris (2002 Prometheus)

Excellent Poledouris score with beautiful themes and bombastic , glorious action cues .
    I love it !

Poledouris left us far , far too early ... sad
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote

Excellent Poledouris score with beautiful themes and bombastic , glorious action cues .
    I love it !

That and AMERIKA. Love them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Eric wrote

I love it !

That and AMERIKA. Love them.

I need to give AMERIKA another listen, it's been a long time although it didn't take much to make me play...........

NP : FLESH & BLOOD - Basil Poledouris

It ain't no Conan The Barbarian ( but what is? ) but it's still EXCELLENT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD - Zbigniew Preisner

By the gods!!!! Why? WHY? have I taken so long to play this again!?? It must be 10 years or more? Preisner's music is gorgeous and tinged with some beautiful indigeonous elements.

The only downside is some source cues that, although they have their own charm break the lovely flow of Preisner's cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WOLFRAM DE MARCO - Loft

Or, a rather darker and more organic take on BATMAN BEGINS / THE DARK KNIGHT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Film Music of Thomas Newman - Thomas Newman
    The City of Prague Philharmonic conducted by James Fitzpatrick

Not bad... not bad at all. However, think the "Dead Already" cue from American Beauty is either performed in the wrong key or they are playing the wrong notes. Pretty weak performance. But the rest isn't bad and is a nice collection of some of Thomas Newman's best themes and cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MOONRAKER - John Barry

Just the tracks Bond Arrives In Rio and the utterly magnificent Flight Into Space, for such a lacklustre Bond score that one 6+minute track alone makes this an essential purchase. cool