• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2009
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Another piece -- longer by a minute than the longest one revious -- featuring marimba and steel drums, and about four other things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kklGpSVwKe0

That did make me smile, Justin, but I'm afraid not for the reason you would like to hear. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you and say that your music is not very good. However, I'm not sure any constructive criticism would be any useful either, since you're clearly just having fun on the keyboard, and as long as you're enjoying yourself, that's the most important.

It is. But why share it in such a way that allows for criticism? I still think it's a joke.
  1. Yes, especially if Justin gets so easily offended. After hearing his music, I must frankly say that now I take his anti-Hans Zimmer bias even LESS seriously, because how simple Zimmer is, his scores are FAR more coherent than what I hear here, sorry.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    He's certainly getting attention, that's for sure! biggrin
  2. Was that the attention he wished for, though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009 edited
    Considering this is Justin "I hate Zimmer and Krull" Boggan, yes, yes it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    Well said Thor
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Well, at least I have kept my total tiem of compositions under 30 mintes, so Thor HAS to like that.

Anyway, ignoring Thor and anyone who chose to be dickhead rather than give constructive feedback, here is two new pieces:

"CHiPs"
    That's right -- inspired by Silvestri's work on the series, but as the notes during the video show, there were some serious problems trying to create this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rst9Pan-6DQ

No name for this one, which differs from the constant ideas going on in the other cues:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5tFqFECOMM
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009
    Name-calling is getting out of hand here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I'm using a program for which the copyright is 1988-1998.

What are you using it for?

Because I'm too lazy to buy an actual program that costs money... there's a recession going on, don't you know?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    KevinSmith wrote:
    If I PM you, please quote my message back in your reply.

Should we be worried about this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Another piece -- longer by a minute than the longest one revious -- featuring marimba and steel drums, and about four other things:

That did make me smile, Justin, but I'm afraid not for the reason you would like to hear. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you and say that your music is not very good. However, I'm not sure any constructive criticism would be any useful either, since you're clearly just having fun on the keyboard, and as long as you're enjoying yourself, that's the most important.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you, Thor. I personally think this is all a joke, but if it's not, I'm sorry if you're offended, Justin. The 'music' just isn't sounding like music to me, with little to no rhythm or melody to grab on to. Perhaps a metronome and some lessons in the fundamentals of music theory would come in handy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, at least I have kept my total tiem of compositions under 30 mintes, so Thor HAS to like that.

Anyway, ignoring Thor and anyone who chose to be dickhead rather than give constructive feedback, here is two new pieces:

"CHiPs"
    That's right -- inspired by Silvestri's work on the series, but as the notes during the video show, there were some serious problems trying to create this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rst9Pan-6DQ

No name for this one, which differs from the constant ideas going on in the other cues:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5tFqFECOMM

It's not good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thanks Timmer, I was looking for the right words to reply with. wink
  5. Still worse than Zimmer? bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Anyway, ignoring Thor and anyone who chose to be dickhead rather than give constructive feedback

Constructive criticism requires something to build on and an active willingness to learn and improve. At this point you are just throwing a bunch of notes ogether and calling it a composition. It clearly indicates a lack of formal training in composition, or insight in musical creation. That's not offensive. That's just a statement of fact. And that's fine as I guess the great majority of posters here hasn't any either.

I echo Tom's comment, which was pretty much the best and most constructive comment in this whole thread: get some training, read some books and keep on trying until you have something you really think is worth sharing, rather than this shotgun approach. Sure, the law of averages suggests that if you keep on creating two/three pieces a day, at some point there should be a good one.
    But then it's hardly surprising the rest should elicit luke-warm to baffled to negative to disinterested comments, is it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Exactly. And your criticism of Hans Zimmer's music, which goes as far as not even wanting to SPELL his name right is also not very constructive, so either write something on his level or even better, or just lay off. Zimmer is at least coherent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think any comparison is in order.
    This is just about inherent (or learned or taught) capabilities.

Criticism does not automatically imply we can (or should) do better.
    Otherwise we could just roll up this entire forum right now.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I'm using a program for which the copyright is 1988-1998.

What are you using it for?

Because I'm too lazy to buy an actual program that costs money... there's a recession going on, don't you know?

But you still haven't said what you're using the program for, which is a pretty pivotal piece of information if we are to take much from your statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    justin boggan wrote

You want constructive feedback? OK, I'm going to try to be nice.

1) You need to work on you structure in the pieces, as the different elements of each composition seems to be floating around without having any relation to the others.

2) Performance. Use a metronome or click and make use of rhythmic meters - unless you want your music to sound disorganized and chaotic.

3) Arranging - decide what you want to do before you record it. If you want a harmonic structure, use different voices and instruments to build up your harmonies, and apply the same preparations to rhythm.

I'm sorry to say that at this point, your music is completely unlistenable! It's too chaotic, you're just recording a few tracks over each other, and don't even seem to bother to re-record if you get the wrong notes. For better results, begin with the three advices above and spend one week on a cue, rather than doing 5 in a day!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    justin boggan wrote

At least we're getting closer to guessing your age.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    I think Marc suggested on another board the first part took him well over a year to arrange and record.
    And there's four parts.

Four parts, for a dozen horns, IIRC. Pretty amazing stuff.
  7. moviescore wrote
    justin boggan wrote

You want constructive feedback? OK, I'm going to try to be nice.

1) You need to work on you structure in the pieces, as the different elements of each composition seems to be floating around without having any relation to the others.

2) Performance. Use a metronome or click and make use of rhythmic meters - unless you want your music to sound disorganized and chaotic.

3) Arranging - decide what you want to do before you record it. If you want a harmonic structure, use different voices and instruments to build up your harmonies, and apply the same preparations to rhythm.

I'm sorry to say that at this point, your music is completely unlistenable! It's too chaotic, you're just recording a few tracks over each other, and don't even seem to bother to re-record if you get the wrong notes. For better results, begin with the three advices above and spend one week on a cue, rather than doing 5 in a day!

mc

Thank you for construction feedback/criticism.

Point 1:
    I would like to point out, using my last piece -- untitled and simply called "Symphonette 1", that it's all structure. From the very beginning you are instroduced to the 15 note "theme" of the piece, the resolution comes after the first six notes are repeated again, and then the uplifting part is the bridge, which leads back into the main 15 note melody, which is this time borken up with some of it playing at the underlining melody while the female vocals take the rest to play over it (I don't know the musical term for that) and eventually over which the bridge plays. This is almost pure structure, which it seems many here have failed to find (you didn't comment on it, so I don't know if you missed it).

Point 2:
    I've listen to a fair number of pieces that change ryhthm at times, or skip a beat for dramatic affect. I skipped two beats (that I recall) in the first piece I posted, for dramatic affect; it created a sense of sadness. Hell, I even tuned both pianos differently from each other so it wouldn't sound like a wall of piano noise, and made sure the one playing the melody was some what muffled and child-like in innocese. Should not that piece also has a theme (or melody), a resolution, and a bridge. It may sound random, but some people here are just too quick to judge things without putting as much thought into it's mechanics as their insults. And one should note this is my FIRST time EVER composing anything. Even Morricone had his first film score rejected, so everyone calm the fuck down.

No comments on Point 3 off the top of my head.

Using a Demo version (since I can't afford to purchase a program) I can't save my work, so I basically have to do it during my awake period.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009
    Are you on drugs?
  8. Better asked of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The next time I compare my crappy compositions to Morricone, feel free to ask me.
  9. Having watched plenty of episode of "COPS", the angry manner, insults, and over pissyness you have displayed are characteristics of someone on drugs. Why are you even here? You don't have a life and need to spend time bringing down a thread?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

You're just adding to the entertainment of this already entertaining thread! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2009 edited
    (Though I'm not quite sure where you're detecting the anger? The only one getting angry is you. Which is why it's so much fun to bait you! cheesy )
  10. Ah, so now we've got your age, because real adults don't try to "bait" fellow online community members for their entertainment, unless of course you lack basic human conecepts and interpersonal skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, that must be it Justin. It's the world that's wrong, not you. smile