• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Talos wrote
    The only Zimmer score I really like is K2. The rest all sound like the Rock. Trying to sound cool... which I totally don't like, fake macho stuff. The reason that I don't like his music is because he just can't compose. Just hitting some tunes on his keyboard and than let a orchestrator work it out. I know many composers work like this, but he just can't write complex music. Same with Vangelis, I really like his work, but listen to the action parts in Alexander, there you can hear that the only can come up with tunes and atmospheric music, but complex action music with many layers and such... no way. They just can't write that.

One thing... Have you heard The Gladiator Waltz demo from More Music? It is soemthing he performs on his keyboard and then was orchestrated and used in The Battle and Barbarian Horde. The pieces are almost interchangeable... Zimmer sends his original arranged demos to orchestrators, who don't have much to say in that matter...

He's been making arrangement errors in the past, but after 1998 (how does The Thin Red Line sound like The Rock, tell me?) he got much better in that matter. And listen to his comedies. Often underrated gems, though I must admit not to liking his early stuff like Green Card.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Oh, and I do agree that except Zimmer nobody should do the MV sound. They are just so much worse...
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    DARKNESS FALLS
    TERROR TRACT
    FRAILTY
    THE HUNTED
    TOKYO DRIFT / WAR
    and even the twisted dark and dissonance of BUG

There's so much stuff other than THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED to hear from Tyler that i am really banging my head on the wall to understand why so many people have remained 'stuck' to just that! crazy

Demetris, I didn't remain stuck to Greatest Game Ever Played. I actually turned it off after the main theme and decided to avoid it at all costs. But it did strengthen my objections to Tyler as a composer I had before. The theme IS great, but it was written by Horner 9 years earlier!

Giving Darkness Falls a spin though at the moment. Will expand on this score after I finish the listen. In fact, I did give it a listen, but my parents got home and I ended up talking to them.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Why would anyone pull out the ammo? I like his work too.

I mean the ammo in terms of fierce Arnold lovers, like Erik and Steve, who harp on me for disliking ID4 and Godzilla whenever I mention how overrated (or overblown) they are. I am looking forward to Arnold's third Narnia film because Arnold has rarely, if ever, done work in the fantasy genre (unless you count Stargate as a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid) and he'll most certainly bring a fresher sound to the franchise than Harry Gregson-Williams has.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Amongst the most recent composers, I don't click with John Debney. Sure, there are a few scores that i really enjoy but overall, his style (or lack of?) doesn't do a thing for me. Too blend.

From the Golden age, I tried to listen many times to Alex North's music, without success. Zip, nothing, rien, nada. Any recommendations or maybe I should say, something that is more accessible? I do have Cleopatra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

He's been making arrangement errors in the past, but after 1998 (how does The Thin Red Line sound like The Rock, tell me?) he got much better in that matter. And listen to his comedies. Often underrated gems, though I must admit not to liking his early stuff like Green Card.

Ok, perhaps I have been a bit too harsh, but I hold him responsible for the dumbing down of filmmusic to simplistic sonic wallpaper heard so often nowadays. His influence created all kinds of offspring (MV)... they get hired to write mucho macho music... while tremendously gifted superior composers such as Cliff Eidelman get no assignments. I know its also the fault of the directors/studios/producers... but I just can't stand for it, the injustice and missed changes. Horrible. It is just like the Oscars.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  4. I hold him partly responsible for what you are talking about too, though only partly. Mind you, the best works by MV offspring are only just on the level of an average Zimmer work. Try out his more dramatic works and comedies (House of the Spirits, is that dumbing down? The Last Days? As Good As It Gets? Spanglish?). Also look at PotC 3, which is completely different to the rest, which *is* dumbing down. I think many of the now-underused composers might have made career mistakes in the past. I know that one of such mistakes was done by Basil Poledouris, who decided to quit action movies at some time and almost completely lost touch with the industry... We can't blame Zimmer for everything. I don't blame Poledouris, he didn't want to be typecast, but on the other hand, look at Zimmer's career, how he managed to branch out after 3 years of only action scores, two comedies and one drama, really (1995-1997).

That said, Darkness Falls didn't amaze me in particular way. Much more melodic than the usual horror fare, I give him that, but still it's rather generic horror material with Goldsmith/JNH influence in action and a cliche theme added to the mix... Frailty will be next.
  5. Tintin wrote
    From the Golden age, I tried to listen many times to Alex North's music, without success. Zip, nothing, rien, nada. Any recommendations or maybe I should say, something that is more accessible? I do have Cleopatra.

Spartacus and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? for sure. Some say A Streetcar Named Desire, but that one never really stood out for me. Viva Zapata! and Dragonslayer aren't too bad either.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    Tintin wrote

Cleopatra is aa very hard listen, as far as I'm concerned.
    To be honest, there are only two scores of North's I really like (which is very different from appreciate: there are several scores I think are good (A Streetcar Named Desire) and/or clever (2001), but which I nonetheless don't much enjoy): The Shoes Of The Fisherman, and my very favourite (which completely blows me away for being done by the same bloke that did Viva Zapata!): The Agony And The Ecstacy.

If nothing else, try the latter, Martin. I assure you you will be pleasantly surprised!
    (Though it may help that I really like the film as well).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I mean the ammo in terms of fierce Arnold lovers, like Erik and Steve, who harp on me for disliking ID4 and Godzilla whenever I mention how overrated (or overblown) they are. I am looking forward to Arnold's third Narnia film because Arnold has rarely, if ever, done work in the fantasy genre (unless you count Stargate as a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid) and he'll most certainly bring a fresher sound to the franchise than Harry Gregson-Williams has.

Well I like Godzilla, Bond, ID4 etc. etc., but I can't stand Stargate! Good themes, but the choir is just to excessive! crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Tintin wrote

Cleopatra is aa very hard listen, as far as I'm concerned.
    To be honest, there are only two scores of North's I really like (which is very different from appreciate: there are several scores I think are good (A Streetcar Named Desire) and/or clever (2001), but which I nonetheless don't much enjoy): The Shoes Of The Fisherman, and my very favourite (which completely blows me away for being done by the same bloke that did Viva Zapata!): The Agony And The Ecstacy.

If nothing else, try the latter, Martin. I assure you you will be pleasantly surprised!
    (Though it may help that I really like the film as well).

North is a very complex and at times awkward to get into composer, I'm divided 50/50. I agree with Martijn on The Agony And The Ecstasy, it's gorgeous and very accessable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    Composers that have NOT"clicked" with me YET:

- Thomas Newman
    - Ennio Morricone
    - Brian Tyler
    - John Barry
    - Vangelis
    - Alex North
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Talos wrote
    The only Zimmer score I really like is K2. The rest all sound like the Rock. Trying to sound cool... which I totally don't like, fake macho stuff.

shocked

"The Da Vinci Code" / "The Prince of Egypt" / "The Thin Red Line" / "Radio Flyer" / "The House of the Spirits" / "As Good as it Gets" / "Hannibal" / "Spanglish" / "POTC - At World´s End".....all sounds like "The Rock"?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. ^ - indeed
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Composers that have not clicked with me:

-Danny Elfman: nothing he has composed has ever clicked with me; ok, fragments of Spiderman (the first one), the main theme for Batman (almost twenty years ago by the way) and....and...nothing else. One of the most OVERRATED composers EVER.

-Alexandre Desplat: ok, "Lust, Caution" is pretty good, but he has a chance to write a big epic and he writes this music for "The Golden Compass" (WTF)? Ok, he is European, and what? I dont´buy it.
    One of the most OVERRATED composers NOW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Do I? Which Matt are you? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Composers that have not clicked with me:

-Danny Elfman: nothing he has composed has ever clicked with me; ok, fragments of Spiderman (the first one), the main theme for Batman (almost twenty years ago by the way) and....and...nothing else. One of the most OVERRATED composers EVER.

I have learned to appreciate his more complex Main Themes over the years, but beyond that, I don´t like most of his stuff most of the time. However, I recently discovered Black Beauty and was totally overwhelmed how beautiful and totally different it is from his usual style. You should definitely give it a listen.

-Alexandre Desplat: ok, "Lust, Caution" is pretty good, but he has a chance to write a big epic and he writes this music for "The Golden Compass" (WTF)? Ok, he is European, and what? I dont´buy it.
    One of the most OVERRATED composers NOW.

Did you listen to the Girl with that I don´t know earring? A very quiet, but nontheless atmospheric and beautiful score. Certainly not overrated.

-----
    Secretary of Defense of never-clicked-composers
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Did you listen to the Girl with that I don´t know earring? A very quiet, but nontheless atmospheric and beautiful score. Certainly not overrated

Yes I did; I dunno, maybe is this kind of "atmospheric and beautiful music" that Desplat usually writes the reason I never click with him. I´m afraid sometimes beauty (which is such a personal matter of taste of course) is not enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marcel mate, LUST, CAUTION, THE UPSIDE OF ANGER, BIRTH, GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING but also FIREWALL and HOSTAGE. Have you heard all those?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Steven wrote
    Do I? Which Matt are you? confused

I was mcjw_serenity on the Scorereviews forum. So now you know which one I am.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  7. Marselus wrote
    I´m afraid sometimes beauty (which is such a personal matter of taste of course) is not enough.

Well, as a matter of taste, yes, you´re right.
    -----
    Secretary of Taste
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marcel mate, LUST, CAUTION, THE UPSIDE OF ANGER, BIRTH, GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING but also FIREWALL and HOSTAGE. Have you heard all those?

Yes I partially enjoyed "Lust, Caution" and "Hostage", but the truth is that I have listened only once each one. I may return to those but damn, there´s so much music to listen I don´t find the time / mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    There are several I don't care for. Of the big guns, I don't think there are any that I've "never warmed to", but I have a harder time with JNH than most, with a few exceptions. He's obviously got the talent but often seems not to be bothered with using it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    There are several I don't care for. Of the big guns, I don't think there are any that I've "never warmed to", but I have a harder time with JNH than most, with a few exceptions. He's obviously got the talent but often seems not to be bothered with using it.

Would be interested in your view about JNH's WATER HORSE, James? wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Marselus wrote
    I´m afraid sometimes beauty (which is such a personal matter of taste of course) is not enough.

Well, as a matter of taste, yes, you´re right.
    -----
    Secretary of Taste

Glad to meet you.
    I generally like to present myself as the Enlightened Despot of Taste.
    Which is to say that I happily grant everyone their own taste, provided I proscribe it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Would be interested in your view about JNH's WATER HORSE, James? wave

I will let you know when I get round to listening to it... got lots of new CDs at the moment, and I'm more interested in Golden Compass and Alien right now. I can't really be bothered with another Celtic fantasy score and JNH has been dreadful for several scores in a row so he doesn't deserve a place in the CD player like others. Hopefully I'll get chance to listen to it some time this coming weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooooo! Celtic!
    Me wanna!
    lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; i can totally feel that James. I am not crazy about it either but i think it's a good breath of (slightly) fresher air amidst the terrible synth drones by him, of late. Your view is one of the ones i want to hear, on this score. Take your time wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ooooo! Celtic!
    Me wanna!
    lick

Me too! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Howard Shore for me.