• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Probably Howard Shore for me also. I do enjoy his Lord of the Rings scores, but, can't listen to them often. I can't get into the couple of thriller scores, I've heard from him, the Game and Copland.
  1. I'm so glad you brought up Elfman. He writes good main themes and that's it. His filler music is terrible.
  2. I warmed up to Elfman a lot recently, I must say. Though I still haven't heard Batman yet....
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I warmed up to Elfman a lot recently, I must say. Though I still haven't heard Batman yet....

It's okay!

Some people here go mad for it. For me he's done the same trick too many times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. TrekkinD wrote
    Probably Howard Shore for me also. I do enjoy his Lord of the Rings scores, but, can't listen to them often. I can't get into the couple of thriller scores, I've heard from him, the Game and Copland.

I'd say that both The Game and Copland are quite difficult scores to start with.

I'd recommed The Silence of The Lambs or eXistenZ as "better" examples to try.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    TrekkinD wrote

I appreciate what he does, musically for the LOTR trilogy, but it's a wash for me on the album. His thriller scores, like The Game, Seven and Panic Room (very nice main title) border on meandering wallpaper for me to maintain interests. I think the only score that I've listened to more than once is The Departed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you tried THE YARDS? Very different score by Shore, touching and heavily melodic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Have you tried THE YARDS? Very different score by Shore, touching and heavily melodic.

I'd forgotten about The Yards! Parts of this one always brings me to tears!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, probably my favorite Shore. "Willie's Tears" for instance is probably the most beautiful single piece i've ever heard by Shore.
  5. Eastern Promises are also recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Eastern Promises are also recommended.

Couldn't agree more.
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007 edited
    Thanks for the suggestions, I heard a track from Eastern Promises on XM and it sounded interesting.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    TrekkinD wrote

I'd say that both The Game and Copland are quite difficult scores to start with.

Definitely! Particularly Cop Land can be very difficult to get into, and it's one I certainly don't listen to very often. I like it quite a lot, however, and no matter what, I'm always impressed by the pure athmosphere of oppression, Shore manages to create in this one.

I'd recommed The Silence of The Lambs or eXistenZ as "better" examples to try.

Yes, I would too, but even these can be difficult to get into if you're not captivcated by Shore's dense orchestrations and dark sound.

Generally I will say that I definitely understand those who have a hard time getting into much of Shore's music. He's definitely not the most accessible composer out there today, but something in his writing always seemed to catch me. Maybe it's the dark side which beckons me. wink
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007 edited
    I always loved his score for The Fly. Not the easiest one, too, but with a bit more variance than Silence of the Lambs. The Main/End Title Theme is a masterpiece in my opinion and could almost be a Chris Young Theme (and this is most probably where Elfman got his inspiration for Batman).
  6. Ironically, Young got to score The Fly 2.
  7. Yup, equally entertaining, but more along the usual Young stuff. Shore´s version is a bit more... Shore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2007
    I can't seem to get into Alex North, other than Spartacus and Agony and the Ecstasy. Also most Hugo Friedhofer scores, although I like the Best Years of our Lives and Seven Cities of Gold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    One for me is Thomas Newman. I like his music when I hear it, a lot even, but I never choose his music to listen to. I never seem to be in the right mood for his music. The same goes for John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    -Danny Elfman: nothing he has composed has ever clicked with me; ok, fragments of Spiderman (the first one), the main theme for Batman (almost twenty years ago by the way) and....and...nothing else. One of the most OVERRATED composers EVER.

I think it's a bit unfair to call him overrated just because you don't like his style. I wouldn't dream of calling John Barry overrated, for example, even though his music does nothing for me.

Then again, I've come to realize - as Timmer pointed out earlier - that his is certainly not a place where the Elfman LUUUUV is flowin'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Philip Glass. Not a fan of minimalism any way.

Bernard Herrmann - He is a love him or hate him composer. Now, while I appreciate his skill I never found his scores to be particularly enjoyable. There are a few that I can listen to straight through (Vertigo) but most of the time his complete works take a Herculean effort to get through. I find his statement, echo and repeat style of composing irritating. I find his concert suites to be far more enjoyable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Bernard Herrmann - He is a love him or hate him composer. Now, while I appreciate his skill I never found his scores to be particularly enjoyable. There are a few that I can listen to straight through (Vertigo) but most of the time his complete works take a Herculean effort to get through. I find his statement, echo and repeat style of composing irritating. I find his concert suites to be far more enjoyable.

-Erik-

Philip Glass I've never even bothered with, but I completely agree with you on Herrmann. I bought a few Herrmann scores after listening to the Prague 2 disc set, but I didn't enjoy them at all. So, the 2 disc set suits me fine as far as Herrmann is concerned.

Shame really, I know he was a genius and all that... still, I like a lot of his themes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Philip Glass I've never even bothered with, but I completely agree with you on Herrmann. I bought a few Herrmann scores after listening to the Prague 2 disc set, but I didn't enjoy them at all. So, the 2 disc set suits me fine as far as Herrmann is concerned.

Shame really, I know he was a genius and all that... still, I like a lot of his themes.

Time to unleash the killer bees....
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah! Unleashing them on whom though? The Philip Glass thingy or Herrmann? 'Cause i am unleashing them out just for the GLASS thingy! crazy angry
  8. LOVE Glass. HATE Herrmann. Sorry for being a bit short. But it´s just the way it is.
  9. LIKE Glass, LOVE Herrmann here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Thor wrote
    -Danny Elfman: nothing he has composed has ever clicked with me; ok, fragments of Spiderman (the first one), the main theme for Batman (almost twenty years ago by the way) and....and...nothing else. One of the most OVERRATED composers EVER.

I think it's a bit unfair to call him overrated just because you don't like his style. I wouldn't dream of calling John Barry overrated, for example, even though his music does nothing for me.

Then again, I've come to realize - as Timmer pointed out earlier - that his is certainly not a place where the Elfman LUUUUV is flowin'.

Oh, it flows from me. Once he really developed his own identity through the mid-late 90s he became one of the greats.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Yeah, after listening to a couple of Glass scores they do sound nice but they grow repetitive and after a while, it seems that Glass utilizes the flowing, circular strings too much. After listening to Dracula, it seems to be a more darker take on The Illusionist (which I liked). I'd wish Glass would experiment a bit further by actually experimenting with composing for a full orchestra and compose a thematic score.

But then again, minimalism is his trademark, I suppose. He's the composer I've never really gotten into, and he's an acquired taste. Just like Zimmer.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yeah! Unleashing them on whom though? The Philip Glass thingy or Herrmann? 'Cause i am unleashing them out just for the GLASS thingy! crazy angry

Both D, both! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Yeah, after listening to a couple of Glass scores they do sound nice but they grow repetitive and after a while, it seems that Glass utilizes the flowing, circular strings too much. After listening to Dracula, it seems to be a more darker take on The Illusionist (which I liked). I'd wish Glass would experiment a bit further by actually experimenting with composing for a full orchestra and compose a thematic score.

But then again, minimalism is his trademark, I suppose. He's the composer I've never really gotten into, and he's an acquired taste. Just like Zimmer.

PHILIP GLASS:

The -Qatsi trilogy
    the Hours
    Fog of war
    Kundun
    Secret Agent
    Dracula
    Roving Mars

No opinion on Glass should be formed unless one listens to these works at least, first and imo.
  10. I simply do not understand how one cannot love The Ghost and Mrs Muir by Herrmann. Glass though, I can see where his unique approaches may irritate some.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.