• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    I simply do not understand how one cannot love The Ghost and Mrs Muir by Herrmann. Glass though, I can see where his unique approaches may irritate some.

Like I said... there are some that I adore and The Ghost and Mrs Muir is one of them... but for instance I could only get through the first half of the new Mysterious Island album before I wanting to blow my brains out. I don't see the appeal of that score whatsoever. Great re-recording, great production, great conducting, etc... but the score really isn't that good. That main motif is irritating and headache inducing, and the up the scale down the scale stuff doesn't float my boat, the statement, echo and repeat signature style of Herrmann is all over this score and I never liked that approach. And there is no theme to grab a hold of you. Plus, the album is way too long.... it just doesn't play well as do countless other Herrmann complete scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    I simply do not understand how one cannot love The Ghost and Mrs Muir by Herrmann. Glass though, I can see where his unique approaches may irritate some.

I like the theme to The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, so I bought the OST... never listened to it ever again.

Glass? As Demetris pointed out, I've not listened to enough to have an opinion on him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Yeah, after listening to a couple of Glass scores they do sound nice but they grow repetitive and after a while, it seems that Glass utilizes the flowing, circular strings too much. After listening to Dracula, it seems to be a more darker take on The Illusionist (which I liked). I'd wish Glass would experiment a bit further by actually experimenting with composing for a full orchestra and compose a thematic score.

But then again, minimalism is his trademark, I suppose. He's the composer I've never really gotten into, and he's an acquired taste. Just like Zimmer.

PHILIP GLASS:

The -Qatsi trilogy
    the Hours
    Fog of war
    Kundun
    Secret Agent
    Dracula
    Roving Mars

No opinion on Glass should be formed unless one listens to these works at least, first and imo.

I would add some of his concert works to that list too.

Itaipu
    The Canyon ( so un-Glass, there was discussion at Movie Music that it verges on Goldsmith-like, a very complex work )
    His Low and Heroes works based on the music of David Bowie and Brian Eno.
    His Symphonies
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote

I like the theme to The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, so I bought the OST... never listened to it ever again.

Glass? As Demetris pointed out, I've not listened to enough to have an opinion on him.

Check out ITAIPU Steven, and play it LOUD! punk

Has a 3rd movement that could blow your speakers up cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Bernard Herrmann - He is a love him or hate him composer. Now, while I appreciate his skill I never found his scores to be particularly enjoyable. There are a few that I can listen to straight through (Vertigo) but most of the time his complete works take a Herculean effort to get through. I find his statement, echo and repeat style of composing irritating. I find his concert suites to be far more enjoyable.

Part of what I love about his work is the way he plays with short statements/cells of music and all the manipulations he does with this snippets of music.

One should always remember though that he's more than just that style (as exampled by his score for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir). Some of his music can be achingly sad, romantic, etc. Though I tend not to like his early romantic scores as much as his later works.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Elliot Goldenthal
    Danny Elfman
    Alan Menken
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    Thomas Newman

I cannot even begin to describe how much his music irritates me. explode
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    That you don't like his music is understandable, but irritating?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    Yup. I don't know why. It just doesn't agree with my mind. slant
  3. A lot of his music is strang sounding, but there are a handful of things he's done that I think are just gorgeous. "That next place" from Meet Joe Black, the last couple tracks of Shawshank Redemption, "Cinderella Man" from some movie wink, the theme from Little Women, to name a few.

For the most part, though, his music doesn't "click" with me either. Nor does half the music I've heard by Elfman. Vangelis doesn't click. I know everyone seems to love everything Goldsmith has ever written, but the fact that I don't love everything he's done makes me think he might not click with me either. That's not to say he hasn't written several scores that I really enjoy.

I'm afraid I've never heard a score written before about 1975 that has clicked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    I think Thomas Newman is an exceptional composer and is in my top five favourites of present. I can appreciate both his quirky/rhythmic and orchestral efforts. He certainly is very innovative and can evoke a great deal of emotion even in his most restrained and subtle compositions. Just listen to the The Green Mile and The Horse Whisperer, both gorgeous and very haunting works. But to be fair, I don't think anything beats Angels In America which I consider to be his masterpiece.

smile
  4. Now that's one album I HAVE to say I don't get. EVERYONE seems to love this thing, but every time I listen to it again I just come away scratching my head again. There's so much of it that's just weird. Other than a couple amazing cues at either end, I just don't care for this one.
  5. Hanzi Zimmer.

Brian Tyler.

Hugo Frieholder.

And aside from "Lawrence of Arabia", I can't think of anything by Jarre I like. Everytime Intrada or FSM puts out a CD with score by him, I cringe because for me, it's just that bad.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. I know that Thomas Newman's scores are good, I just don't listen to them that much.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Hanzi Zimmer.

Brian Tyler.

Hugo Frieholder.

And aside from "Lawrence of Arabia", I can't think of anything by Jarre I like. Everytime Intrada or FSM puts out a CD with score by him, I cringe because for me, it's just that bad.

I know you hate him and stuff, but Justin could you be at least so respectful to Zimmer to actually spell his first name properly?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. No. No I could not.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. *sigh*
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008 edited

eh? eh? EH?EH? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    *sigh*

On the bonus side he spelt Tyler and Jarre correctly! cool

I might hold something against Justin if he spells FRIEDHOFER wrong again!? slant wink
  10. Admittedly, that's a result of very little exposure, but there's something about music that sounds old that I don't like (which does not extend to baroque, classical, or romantic music, interestingly). It just seems like every time I hear music from the "golden age" of film I just don't like the sound quality. I have an older copy of El Cid that has never done much for me. I'll be interested to hear the newer recording on Erik's show for comparison. Please understand, I think there's tremendous music that's been written up to 30 years ago, but I haven't discovered anything so far that has really done much for me, personally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Admittedly, that's a result of very little exposure, but there's something about music that sounds old that I don't like (which does not extend to baroque, classical, or romantic music, interestingly). It just seems like every time I hear music from the "golden age" of film I just don't like the sound quality. I have an older copy of El Cid that has never done much for me. I'll be interested to hear the newer recording on Erik's show for comparison. Please understand, I think there's tremendous music that's been written up to 30 years ago, but I haven't discovered anything so far that has really done much for me, personally.

Fair nuff! I think you say it yourself, maybe it is due to little exposure.

I would point out that 'Golden age' is pre 1960.
  11. I always wondered when that age ended. shame and whatever we call 1960-mid '70s is the same way for me. Is that the silver age? Does that mean we're on bronze now? What comes after that? tin?
  12. Plastic.

And before all those: Stone age

And after Zimmer is dead, what ever it is will end in "A.Z."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    A lot of his music is strang sounding, but there are a handful of things he's done that I think are just gorgeous. "That next place" from Meet Joe Black, the last couple tracks of Shawshank Redemption, "Cinderella Man" from some movie wink, the theme from Little Women, to name a few.

For the most part, though, his music doesn't "click" with me either. Nor does half the music I've heard by Elfman. Vangelis doesn't click. I know everyone seems to love everything Goldsmith has ever written, but the fact that I don't love everything he's done makes me think he might not click with me either. That's not to say he hasn't written several scores that I really enjoy.

Generally-talking on the Newman thingy: How can one NOT fall in love with AMERICAN BEAUTY, THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, MEET JOE BLACK, ROAD TO PERDITION is truly beyond me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  13. Anthony wrote
    Thomas Newman

I cannot even begin to describe how much his music irritates me. explode

Do you mean all of his music?

I always consider his work to fall into two categories: the "quirky" stuff like Finding Nemo, American Beauty and Wall-E, and and his more "sweeping" orchestral stuff like Lemony Snickett, Meet Joe Black, Road To Perdition, etc. I much prefer the latter.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    I can only name one composer whose music never "clicked" with me: Michael Kamen.
    As for all the other composers it's more about specific scores that never clicked with me. For instance I have never got used to the music of the LOTR trilogy but I do love Shore's Nobody's Fool or Big scores.
    The same goes for Thomas Newman. Meet Joe Black is one of the best music one can hear but at the same time I do not really love his music generally. The main reason of this is that I hate tracks under 2 minutes and most of his tracks are 1 minute long or even shorter so his scores are not a greatly flowing listening experience.
    But if there are some Michael Kamen fans out there I would like to get some advice what to listen from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you heard BAND OF BROTHERS?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Have you heard BAND OF BROTHERS?

Nope. But I will give it a try. I know Die Hard, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Jack, Mr. Holland's Opus and some other scores I cannot even remember but none of them did the magic. As for Band of Brothers I didn't watch the show on TV so I just didn't bother to try the soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No relation. I guarantee you absolute pleasure if you're into heartfelt, sweepingly dramatic and heavily emotional music. In fact the theme is gorgeous, it's a pretty rewarding listen overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Bruce Broughton
    George Fenton