• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    I count John Barry amongst my favourite film composers, and musically-speaking, it doesn't get much more simple. The over-complication of things is one of the greatest traps a film composer can fall into.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    The more effective a simple tune is just proves how much natural talent the composer has. Anyone can come up with a simple tune, but it takes a special kind of composer to come up with the perfect simple tune. (Jaws anyone?)

"Why so serious" anyone? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Horner is very good at "simplistic" music too. Legends of the Fall is relatively simple in terms of compositions, but that doesn't make it any less of a near-masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    The more effective a simple tune is just proves how much natural talent the composer has. Anyone can come up with a simple tune, but it takes a special kind of composer to come up with the perfect simple tune. (Jaws anyone?)

"Why so serious" anyone? biggrin

Yes, I would add that to the list too. Zimmer hit the mark with that one IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Simple isn't always the right thing, of course. I guess it depends on how you define "simple", too. Musically simple, or dramatically simple? Very different things. The Last Samurai is a very simple film, so it can cope with a dramatically simple score (just not the one it got). The Dark Knight needs a more complex score, but got a simple one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Dark Knight needs a more complex score, but got a simple one.

Probably, but I still liked the score it got. I do think the Joker's theme is very well suited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't think the music harmed the film in any way, I have to say (which instantly places it above a lot of Zimmer scores in my eyes) - but what I would consider a "proper" score could have done so much more!
  1. NP: Star Trek: Mudd's Women - Fred Steiner

The re-recordings that Steiner did of the music for the old Star Trek episodes are great - on a par (in their own way) with the recent re-recordings of today for titles like El Cid, Mysterious Island, Fahrenheit 451 & The Charge of The Light Brigade.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I didn't think the music harmed the film in any way, I have to say (which instantly places it above a lot of Zimmer scores in my eyes) - but what I would consider a "proper" score could have done so much more!

I certainly didn't feel as though there was anything improper about it, but I agree that there was a lot of potential in the film for a more psychologically involving score. Zimmer (and JNH?) did vaguely touch upon some psychological scoring, but not nearly enough as the film could have done with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

oh! THIS TIME NO: ZIMMER'S MUSIC MAKES THE FILM WORSE

I'm dissapointed.

NP:Dinotopia (JOnes)

Incredibly rich score from Jones, one of his bests.

more thematic than cleopatra, more enjoyable than merlin.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I certainly didn't feel as though there was anything improper about it, but I agree that there was a lot of potential in the film for a more psychologically involving score. Zimmer (and JNH?) did vaguely touch upon some psychological scoring, but not nearly enough as the film could have done with.

In the film it actually irritated me. I honestly believe we'd have got a far better score with no Zimmer in-put whatsoever and let JNH do his own thing unhindered.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I personally think the Joker's music was a stroke of brilliance. The few occasions where I clearly felt James Newton Howard's involvement - those brass homilies under Dent's early speechifying - were ironically the moments I felt the music was least necessary.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Tale Of Despereaux - William Ross

Pity the movie bombed at the BO, this is a really great and fun adventure score by William. I really enjoy it the more I listen to it! Great themes, dark suspense and terrific action material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I personally think the Joker's music was a stroke of brilliance.

I agree with you 100% Some of the most unique pieces of film music I've heard in a long, LONG time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I personally think the Joker's music was a stroke of brilliance.

I agree with you 100% Some of the most unique pieces of film music I've heard in a long, LONG time!

-Erik-

and it's by Hans Zimmer ( for the record tongue )

NP:Predator (Silvestri)

I love the soundscape created by silvestri. it fits like a globe.
  3. Received my tax refund, so once in hand, I started my journey at various labels to see what I want. I spent a couple hours going threw FilmScoreMonthly clips (except for a few CDs which had only Real Audio clips -- I avoid Real Audio, hate it jsut like Lukas).

Came up with 24 CDs I want from FSm. Sadly, I can't buy 24 CDs from any label, so I have to dwindle that down to three "absolutely want"s. That should be annoying. :-)
    (so far I am leaning toward the Superman box set with maybe "The Satan Bug" as extra)

Tomorrow I am off to listen to all the clips for the Varese Club.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Received my tax refund, so once in hand, I started my journey at various labels to see what I want. I spent a couple hours going threw FilmScoreMonthly clips (except for a few CDs which had only Real Audio clips -- I avoid Real Audio, hate it jsut like Lukas).

Stop your bitching and use Real Alternative.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Actually, there is no bitching -- Lukas, as per his FSM board speak on dislike it RA -- is almost done implementing regular mp3 clips for every cue on every CD. No alternative is needed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. NP - Iron Will - Joel McNeely

I have members of this board to thank for this one. You guys talked this one up so much a while back that I had to get it, and boy am I glad I did. What a fantastic score! One of the very best scores I've added to my collections in a while. I just finished listening to "crossing the line." Holy cow. I guess I'd better check out some more of McNeely's stuff....Iron Will is just wonderful from start to finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    christopher wrote
    NP - Iron Will - Joel McNeely

I have members of this board to thank for this one. You guys talked this one up so much a while back that I had to get it, and boy am I glad I did. What a fantastic score! One of the very best scores I've added to my collections in a while. I just finished listening to "crossing the line." Holy cow. I guess I'd better check out some more of McNeely's stuff....Iron Will is just wonderful from start to finish.

I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    I don't think The Last Samurai received a good score (as with many Zimmer scores, I enjoy the album even though it makes the film worse) but that's nothing to do with it being simple.

The Last Samurai is one of my favourites from Zimmer and I actually think that it made (a good) film even better. It may be simplistic but still fantastic. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

In the film it actually irritated me. I honestly believe we'd have got a far better score with no Zimmer in-put whatsoever and let JNH do his own thing unhindered.

If we're wishing for things, I wish Howard Shore or Elliot Goldenthal had scored it. They would have been able to have dealt with the psychological aspect of the story and the characters far better I think.

But, I'm slightly agnostic about the whole thing. I like JNH's and Zimmer's score - I really like it. They certainly hit the right tone. But I appreciate the film would have benefited from a different type of score. (Apart from the Joker's music. That could stay!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm...everybody's going gaga over that Joker theme.
    I should give it a shot, maybe.

Is that the Why So Serious? track?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Yes. There's also the film version on the second disc which I quite like.

It may not be to everyone's taste on CD, but it's brilliant film music in my not-so-humble opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And yes Jordi, it's by Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dead Space (game) Jason Graves

Only into the first couple of tracks so far, but this is sounds like a very good sci-fi/horror score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Duplicity - James Newton Howard

sad

More synth-o-rama. Some tracks have a bit of staccato strings but that's hardly enough. I'm halfwaay though and so far it's not impressed me. Perhaps this is what the film requires but it's not a very good listening experience on CD. I'm waiting for when JNH will deliver a nice orchestral score again... maybe in Last Airbender?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

It may not be to everyone's taste on CD, but it's brilliant film music in my not-so-humble opinion.

If you listen carefully to Tyler Bates' The Devil's Rejects (quite hard to do though), you'll notice it's not that far away from Joker's sound.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah...you see, I really don't want to do that. Actually.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

If you listen carefully to Tyler Bates' The Devil's Rejects (quite hard to do though), you'll notice it's not that far away from Joker's sound.

And I'm ready to bet that movie didn't ask for it the way TDK did. wink