• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Dark City (JOnes)

" You have the power" .....You have it, Jones! beer punk punk

(a lot of Merlin, Dinotopia..here!)

I love techno mixed with big orchestras!

Techno in Dark City confused confused

What Tiesto remix are you playing then dude?

I just play the regular score, no techno present thank god.

There are some techno / electronic rythms (you can hear specially in "you have the power"

That's NOT techno. There are electronics in that cue but it's certainly NOT techno. THIS is techno. vomit

-Erik-

It's a film music geek trend; everything that has electronics in it, is instantly called 'techno'. Shows the general irrelevance of our genre towards other musical genres...and the geekiness of some people (i am not referring to Jordi).

What is juno reactor electronics in Mona Lisa overdrive for you, people?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The problem is that there is no overall definition for techno: Gabber Hardcore is as much techno as Detroit Old Style...yet the two couldn't sound more dissimilar!

Mona Lisa Overdrive to my mind is very much a techno track as the techno elements dominate the track. While Dark City contains techno elements -and I agree with jordi that the electronics used in You Have The Power are very much based on late Euro Techno- I wouldn't say the score contains any techno tracks.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    The problem is that there is no overall definition for techno: Gabber Hardcore is as much techno as Detroit Old Style...yet the two couldn't sound more dissimilar!

Mona Lisa Overdrive to my mind is very much a techno track as the techno elements dominate the track. While Dark City contains techno elements -and I agree with jordi that the electronics used in You Have The Power are very much based on late Euro Techno- I wouldn't say the score contains any techno tracks.

kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm....listening to You Have The Power now, and I have to say that in my mind the electronic elements were more prevalent than they actually are.
    I'll have to go back on what I said: the rhythm may have about the same BPM as general techno dance speed, but that doesn't make it techno. And the driving bass could just as easily be compared to Survivor's Eye Of The Tiger as to any techno track.

While the score's mood and feel is indeed quite comparable to The Matrix' one, I'd say that Mona Lisa Overdrive is a techno track, while You Have The Power is "just" an orchestral track with added electronic percussion...and done exceedingly well, I might add!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm....listening to You Have The Power now, and I have to say that in my mind the electronic elements were more prevalent than they actually are.
    I'll have to go back on what I said: the rhythm may have about the same BPM as general techno dance speed, but that doesn't make it techno. And the driving bass could just as easily be compared to Survivor's Eye Of The Tiger as to any techno track.

While the score's mood and feel is indeed quite comparable to The Matrix' one, I'd say that Mona Lisa Overdrive is a techno track, while You Have The Power is "just" an orchestral track with added electronic percussion...and done exceedingly well, I might add!

angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    :pawel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    V For Vendetta Dario Marianelli

This and The Brothers Grimm are definitely the kind of Marianelli I prefer to his other scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009 edited
    Most of what's mistaken for techno in the film music genres, it's simply dance music or plain arrangements of orchestral material with a dance loop on the drums and beats below.

If you listened to genuine dark german techno for instance, you'd know the difference at once.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But that's just it, D.: there IS no such thing as "genuine" techno!

But in the case of Dark City you're absolutely right. That's NOT techno in any way.
  1. Batman & Robin bootleg (Elliot Goldenthal)

Listening to CD #1: Some great themes, but horribly edited bootleg as heard in the film, that actually sounds like Goldenthal is mickeymousing 80% of the 2 hour duration. It doesn't hold my interest like his other stuff does. Batman Forever is better. The one new theme that I actually love is the sad theme for Mr. Freeze's wish to cure his wife. Unless this is released officially this gets a below average rating from me. But I guess it'll never see the light of day, or maybe Elliot would have to die an old man first, then they'd release it... rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Steven wrote
    V For Vendetta Dario Marianelli

This and The Brothers Grimm are definitely the kind of Marianelli I prefer to his other scores.

yep me too, the drama's are nice but actually quite boring
    These 2 show his real skill over an orchestra punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HANOVER STREET - John Barry

Wow! A brand new Barry CD I've never heard before cool

Unashamedly romantic with strings, piano and some gorgeous solo violin work, I'm really loving this. Thank you so much Varese kiss
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

But in the case of Dark City you're absolutely right. That's NOT techno in any way.

Generally, techno is much darker and heavier, more experimental. The only genre that comes close to the easy-listening, steady on rhythm, dance-like rides which some film composers experiment with, is the dance music genre. One steady rhythm, club / dance like below melodic stuff going on top of it. Zz.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Unashamedly romantic with strings, piano and some gorgeous solo violin work, I'm really loving this. Thank you so much Varese kiss

Hmm. You got this before me. Why am I not surprised?
  3. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked
    According to SAE my order is still "Pending" sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote

IT'S TECHNO. JORDI DIXIT!

NP: Judge Dredd (Silvestri)

Oh...this descending notes from the fanfarre...Oh Gosh... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked
    According to SAE my order is still "Pending" sad

At least mine has been despatched. I ordered it about a second and a half after it was announced, straight from Varese. Look forward to its arrival!

NP: Knowing - Marco Beltrami

This fine score continues to grow and grow on me. Can't believe I was a little non-plussed to start with.

Southall dixit!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm sure I ordered at the same time as you ( and maybe a bit before Alan? ), I can never figure how they work these things out? You got a copy of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids at least a week before I did!? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Batman & Robin bootleg (Elliot Goldenthal)

2nd disc.

Ok this starts out rather awful but it gets better later on. There's actually a more than decent 13-minute action cue which is basically a suite of all the major action motifs and fanfares which were so averagely used during the hour and a half before it. While I like the gothic style that Goldenthal wrote for Gotham City and its superhero, musically it doesn't hold a candle to Elfman's classic. What this album lacks is structure and consistency.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Kite Runner - Alberto Iglesias

Colourful and vibrant, this is a pretty good score with some really lovely moments, such as Kite Shop and The Kite Tournament.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - James Horner

beer

This one is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Last Samurai (Zimmer)

what I appreciate most of this score is ZImmer leaves his cello and Violin solos (except for the last track ) and he replaces them with flutes and soft strings.

"A way of life", the first half of "spectres of the fog", the latter half of " a "hard teacher" and the whole (imho the highlight of the score) "to Know my enemy" are GORGEOUS!!!

One of the things that shows how coherent this score is , it's when you notice the great sting crescendo in "the way of the sword" is , in fact, the Samurai theme.

Do you think is a simplistic score, people?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    Nautilus wrote

Very!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Passion of the Christ - John Debney

Also a simplistic score, but an outstanding one. It strikes me that this is almost certainly the best Media Ventures-style score of all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Very!

You gave 4 stars to this score... rolleyes
  5. Southall wrote
    The Passion of the Christ - John Debney

Also a simplistic score, but an outstanding one. It strikes me that this is almost certainly the best Media Ventures-style score of all.

A good analysis, I say.

NP: Themes from Angel (Philippe Rombi) and Un Homme et son Chien (Rombi)

Man, this guy has the gift for melody down pat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Very!

You gave 4 stars to this score... rolleyes

Then it proves that James doesn't necessarily believe simple is inherently bad. As do most people I should hope.
  6. Simple can often be the best for a film. I'm working with a composer on a short film at the moment where I'm trying to get him to think of the composition in less layered terms and just come up with a catchy melody. The film doesn't need its music to be so complicated.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. Simple does not equal bad! I just wrote a review of The Home of Dark Butterflies. Simple, and good.

I don't think The Last Samurai received a good score (as with many Zimmer scores, I enjoy the album even though it makes the film worse) but that's nothing to do with it being simple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The more effective a simple tune is just proves how much natural talent the composer has. Anyone can come up with a simple tune, but it takes a special kind of composer to come up with the perfect simple tune. (Jaws anyone?)