• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The movie is frakking brilliant. I saw it in a theatre during the original release. The images and the sheer brutality of the monsters shown (both machine and human) haunted me for a long time after. Especially those few quiet scenes are mindblowing, the score radiates a sadness matched only by those images. It may be a small movie, but it´s, without a doubt, one of those eighties´ masterpieces they don´t do anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Martijn wrote
    My last holy grail: Runaway Train - Trevor Jones
    Nice expanded edition from La-La Land.

There´s an expanded edition?!

There's an expanded edition.

Well, you´ve probably seen the movie.

I did...but I can remember very little about it.
    Just images really: indeed, like you say, that monster of a train in that snowbound landscape.
    I can remember not being overly impressed with the film proper, bu the mood was something else.
    Quite likely the score contributed to that immensely and acted as sort of an "echo chamber" to increase the emotion. And that's probably what stuck and what got me liking this score so much.

Trying (as much as I can) to listen to this score in a detached manner, I can't for the life of me see what anyone could find in it who hasn't seen the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    I received a package from SAE yesterday that contained Battlestar Galactica - Season 4.

I'm having problems listening to CD1 on my PC. Neither WMP nor Real Player recognise the disc and nothing shows up when I try to "see" the CD in Windows Explorer. The CD is recognised in a separate CD player (total tracks and total playing time appear) and my PC played CD2 from this set and other CDs.

A faulty CD? I've contacted SAE for a replacement but I've yet to hear back from them.

sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. No CD's just 2 Blu-Rays

- Die Hard with a Vengeance punk
    Oh yeah, this was the only one that wasn't released yet on Blu-Ray, now this error has been corrected. And if my brother can taunt me with buying Cutthroat Island, then I'm taunting him with this one. You have Die Hard 4 (the loudest), I have Die Hard 3 (the best) wink And it is DTS woohoo

- City of Ember
    Was so enchanted by it, and I think on Blu-Ray it will be even more spectacular. DTS sound once again cool even though there aren't many big Sound Moments (I think). Luckily the music sounded awesome and that's another reason why I wanted this one. Brother, this one is for the weekend now wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    I would say an 'unusually large bunch' of mostly exceptional film music. cool

I'd say the same!
    But then again, there is so much exceptional music released nowadays that I don't have any money anymore for the duds.
    Poor duds.
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote

Oh yeah, this was the only one that wasn't released yet on Blu-Ray, now this error has been corrected. And if my brother can taunt me with buying Cutthroat Island, then I'm taunting him with this one. You have Die Hard 4 (the loudest), I have Die Hard 3 (the best) wink And it is DTS woohoo

My principal reaction was. Aaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhh followed by hahaha! punk Well done bro. You've done one better than me. Does this mean we have to get parts 1 and 2 as well?

BTW when was Cutthroat Island coming out again?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Masaru Satoh & others - The Film Music of Akira Kurosawa
    I love his movies. This compilation seemed like the least expensive way of checking the scores.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    My principal reaction was. Aaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhh followed by hahaha! punk Well done bro. You've done one better than me. Does this mean we have to get parts 1 and 2 as well?

11th august, but sadly it is (for now) only region 1 sad
    I hope to see it come to Europe soon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I received a package from SAE yesterday that contained Battlestar Galactica - Season 4.
    I'm having problems listening to CD1 on my PC. Neither WMP nor Real Player recognise the disc and nothing shows up when I try to "see" the CD in Windows Explorer. The CD is recognised in a separate CD player (total tracks and total playing time appear) and my PC played CD2 from this set and other CDs.

A faulty CD? I've contacted SAE for a replacement but I've yet to hear back from them. sad

Mine is running fine on Winamp. Haven´t tried other players, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    Runaway Train:
    Martijn wrote
    Trying (as much as I can) to listen to this score in a detached manner, I can't for the life of me see what anyone could find in it who hasn't seen the film.

I think a lot of people may like the quiet tracks and the Gloria thingy; the other stuff may depend on personal taste, but I like it the way it is.

(Sorry for the double-post)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some of RUNAWAY TRAIN has quite a Schifrin vibe to it.

People only used to his Dark Crystal, Last of The Mohicans, Cliffhanger etc style may be a bit shocked by this one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I really do need to get an encoder that supports DTS-HD. Dolby TrueHD is fine, it can do that, but I still can't see how DTS-HD will be that much better... slant
  6. Anthony, I have a receiver capable of both and to me the dynamics and overall power between channels are just better in DTS-HD compared to Dolby TrueHD. I've also noticed with TrueHD I have to increase the volume to get the sound to respectable levels, but then there's always some aspect of the sound spectrum that is either too agressive or another too toned down, like the lower frequencies which are absolutely essential for the home theatre aficionado. With DTS-HD everything sounds mighty fine and I hardly have to change anything while watching a film.

But I have to admit Transformers with TrueHD is truly a stunning room-shaking experience. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Do we post DVD purchases in this thread as well?

I've been buying more DVDs than scores recently, good movies, too
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. You can write about any object here that you've legally acquired with the help of money. wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    While the title doesn't clarify it, virtually all post are about filmmusic purchases and not dvd's. I don't mind someone mentioning a filmmusic extra on a dvd they've just purchased, but that's about it. I would like to suggest to open a new thread for dvd purchases only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I hope these won't be disappointments-

Daniel Tarrab
    & Andres Goldstein - Some Who Lived
    Adrian Johnston - All The King's Men
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Joep wrote
    I would like to suggest to open a new thread for dvd purchases only.

A votre service.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    FINALLY!!!

Battlestar Galactica Season 4 - Bear McCreary...

...arrived today, and I couldn´t be happier. I ordered it months ago from amazon.uk, which means I have to pay only two thirds of the current price (they obviously didn´t plan for a 2 CD album). And the music is bloody brilliant.

Very, very good musical collection in those 2 CD's, indeed! You can certainly say the man's definitely hitting some right notes with this franchise wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. It´s getting at least one spin each day. I´ve put Disc 1 in episode order, which is a nice experience as well. And Disc 2 is just one scoregasm after another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    Ordered (both are new copies):

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - JNH - ¥98 + shipping cost ¥340 dizzy
    Okuribito (Departures) - Joe Hisaishi - ¥2192 (18% off) spin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    George Fenton & Jonas Gwangwa - Cry Freedom
    Los Lobos - Desperado (some bits of score and a suite from El Mariachi)
    Riccardo Giagni - Il Regista di Matrimoni
    Cristiano Fracavo - Quella Che Cerchi
    Angelo Giovagnoli - In un Altro Paese
    Lele Marchitelli - Quale Amore
    Giuliano Taviani - Il Giorno Piu Bello
    Andrea Guerra - Il Cane Il Suo General
    António Vitorino D'Almeida - Capitães de Abril
  10. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It´s getting at least one spin each day. I´ve put Disc 1 in episode order, which is a nice experience as well. And Disc 2 is just one scoregasm after another.

I just have to know. Is it much much better than Season 2 and 3? I cannot listen to it yet, however much that pains me.
  11. Miya wrote
    Ordered (both are new copies):

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - JNH - ¥98 + shipping cost ¥340 dizzy
    Okuribito (Departures) - Joe Hisaishi - ¥2192 (18% off) spin

Can you remind me of the dollar cost? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    $1=¥94.57 biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It´s getting at least one spin each day. I´ve put Disc 1 in episode order, which is a nice experience as well. And Disc 2 is just one scoregasm after another.

I just have to know. Is it much much better than Season 2 and 3? I cannot listen to it yet, however much that pains me.

No, not better (in a "are you nuts, how could this stuff even get better?!?" kind of way wink ), just a lot more of Bear´s inventive style we already know and love.

Don´t expect something like "Prelude to War" or "Storming New Caprica", though; the battle music presented here is often quite different, sometimes hauntingly quiet, sometimes fully experimental with eastern instruments only, and more crazy stuff like this. And their are choirs and electric guitars, too.

And then there are some really cool things on it featuring a frakkin' old piano with crappy sound, which you will appreciate a lot more if you go back and read Bear´s blog entries for season four. *

Not to forget the complete, heart-breakingly beautiful score for the final episode on Disc 2, with some AWESOME renditions of all the known themes.

So, yeah, I think it is even more crazy, diverse and interesting than what came before. If that´s what makes you tick, then it is better, indeed.

*From a certain point on, he wrote massive texts and explanations about the compositions for each and every episode, and I can´t recommend enough. He really tries to avoid spoilers, but assumes you have watched up to and including the episode he talks about. Stay away from the comments, because some have been added later and therefore contain spoilers for later episodes.

Start with his blog about Episode 4.01 (of course AFTER watching it): http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=241

You can even go back and look for earlier, very enlightening entries about earllier episodes.
  12. Thanks for your comments. I'll give a good listen if and when I've seen all of S4. I'm just holding out for the DVD to be released. I'm happy to read that the music is another incredibly varied selection. Which is what I liked about S3, primarily.
  13. You´re most welcome. I love to talk about my - currently - most played, favourite score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    S.4 it's much more restrained, but melodic and in many ways more mature, compared to the previous seasons (musically speaking) although nothing i've heard so far in the admittedly excellent 2-disc set, actually tops season 3.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Austin Wintory - Captain Abu Raed
    Alexandre Desplat - The Queen
    Alexandre Desplat - Coco Before Chanel