• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    I have just now received my order from SAE, with these delicious looking items:

- Miklos Rozsa: Three Choral Suites (Kunzel)
    - Species (Young)
    - Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (Silvestri)

and last but certainly not least

- Star Trek II: The Wrath of KHAN expanded (Horner) punk punk punk punk punk

YEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!

beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    Some new things I may have forgotten:

* PUBLIC ENEMIES

Not too hot on Billie Holiday (there's just something annoying by her voice) and some of the source cues, but it meshes altogether well.

* LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman)

I've had the score bits for a while (on a boot), but it was about time I got the songtrack too. Love the film and the music!

* SHOLAY (R.D. Burman)

Takes some more time getting used to, more intense and folksy than LAGAAN, but a couple of nice tunes. I love the film!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote

* LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman)

I've had the score bits for a while (on a boot), but it was about time I got the songtrack too. Love the film and the music!

* SHOLAY (R.D. Burman)

Takes some more time getting used to, more intense and folksy than LAGAAN, but a couple of nice tunes. I love the film!

Wow! very strange to see a guy from West, who appreciates Indian music. It is quite unusual. Hmmm.. Great! applause biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    If only he knew about the real ''classics'' like Tian Di Ying Xiong and Fire wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Extended Versions 12 DVD Box set

What can i say about this purchase? i have no words to express my joy and happiness. This is all time best DVD collection. I have opportunity to see Howard Shore's musical journey. Its amazing to know detailed information about JRR Tolkien's world of Dwarves, Elves, Men and Hobbits. I have learned that how director Peter Jackson beautifully transformed from book to big screen. Simply awesome! there are many groundbreaking special features. I love that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Joep wrote
    If only he knew about the real ''classics'' like Tian Di Ying Xiong and Fire wink

I am sorry, i never heard of Tian Di Ying Xiong. Is it Chinese movie?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Yes. Aka Warriors of Heaven and Earth. His best score ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Joep wrote
    Yes. Aka Warriors of Heaven and Earth. His best score ever.

I have that one. Very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Actually, I think I bought it from the recommendation from either you or Bhel - thank you to whomever it was!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oh Yeah! i am yet to listen to that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote

I love Chinese movies and scores, although I heartily admit my exposure is limited. Zhao Jiping, Tan Dun, James Wong, mostly the big guys.

I don't know if you're aware of my "Cinema Club" entries at FSM, Joep, but there, I'm often reviewing international films that may be considered obscure to Western or Hollywood-centered audiences. Like the Chinese MANG SHAN, the Iranian AUTOBUS-EH-SHABANEH or the Brazilian O ANO EM QUE MEUS PAIS SAIRAM DE FÉRIAS, of which I know you're aware.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thor wrote
    * LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman)

A boot?! Is it a real, non-DVD rip one??
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    Thor wrote

* LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman)

* SHOLAY (R.D. Burman)

Wow! very strange to see a guy from West, who appreciates Indian music. It is quite unusual. Hmmm.. Great! applause biggrin

I love Bollywood, Sunil, and even taught classes in it over here. I'm curious about Gowariker's JOHDAA AKBAR, which seems to be a largescale production, even more so than LAGAAN?. Mani Ratnam is also a personal favourite, esp. BOMBAY. And it doesn't get much more epic and melodramatic than Mehboob Khan!

But I also enjoy "alternative" Indian films that are more art-driven. Satyajit Ray is obviously the greatest exponent here. The films about Apu are some of the most beautiful-looking films ever made! Mrinal Sen, Guru Dutt, Ritwik Ghatak (and his "proteges" Kumar Shahani and Mani Kaul) are other worthwhile directors that are more modernistic or poetic in tone (in which you'll find few, if any songs and showstoppers!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    Thor wrote
    * LAGAAN (A.R. Rahman)

A boot?! Is it a real, non-DVD rip one??

No, I believe it's a DVD rip, since there are bits of sound effects and variable volume levels.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, ok. I wish someone would get it released, it's a lovely sore!
  1. FINALLY!!!

Battlestar Galactica Season 4 - Bear McCreary...

...arrived today, and I couldn´t be happier. I ordered it months ago from amazon.uk, which means I have to pay only two thirds of the current price (they obviously didn´t plan for a 2 CD album). And the music is bloody brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    Thor wrote
    I'm curious about Gowariker's JOHDAA AKBAR, which seems to be a largescale production, even more so than LAGAAN?. Mani Ratnam is also a personal favourite, esp. BOMBAY. And it doesn't get much more epic and melodramatic than Mehboob Khan!

But I also enjoy "alternative" Indian films that are more art-driven. Satyajit Ray is obviously the greatest exponent here. The films about Apu are some of the most beautiful-looking films ever made! Mrinal Sen, Guru Dutt, Ritwik Ghatak (and his "proteges" Kumar Shahani and Mani Kaul) are other worthwhile directors that are more modernistic or poetic in tone (in which you'll find few, if any songs and showstoppers!).

And with that you're probably more knowledgeable about the Indian 'art' films than most Indians! Very cool! I'm only familiar with the Satyajit Ray films (ah for the days when Indian cinema had substance) and just a few of Mrinal Sen and Guru Dutt.
    BTW if you haven't read Randall Larson's review of Jodha Akbar then do check this (site is down but this will do for now)

And oh James, you're welcome biggrin
    I do like Bose The Forgotten Hero better than Warriors of Heaven and Earth though. I'll see if I can get hold of extra cds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    And with that you're probably more knowledgeable about the Indian 'art' films than most Indians! Very cool! I'm only familiar with the Satyajit Ray films (ah for the days when Indian cinema had substance) and just a few of Mrinal Sen and Guru Dutt.
    BTW if you haven't read Randall Larson's review of Jodha Akbar then do check this (site is down but this will do for now)

Thanks for the link!

Ritwik Ghatak's films are often very harsh and not easy to digest if you're accustomed to more easy-going Bollywood fare. However, he did make ONE "comedy", AJANTRIK (PATHETIC PHALLACY) from 1958. Perhaps that's a good starting point, if you can find it. From a film music perspective, he's quite interesting, because he often used music very symbolically in his films, like when he used the Communist Anthem in a scene of some film (can't remember which at the moment).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Ordered today:

The Legend (Four Gods), Vol. 1 & 2 - Joe Hisaishi
    I Want To Be A Shellfish - Joe Hisaishi

On the way:

The Emotion and the Strength - Maurice Jarre
    Return to Oz - David Shire
    Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (Complete - James Horner
    The Film Music of Ralph Vaughan Williams, Vol.1, 2 & 3 - RVW
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ChrK wrote
    Ordered today:

On the way:

Well... can't argue with any of that! (Well, except the ones I haven't heard - The Legend and Return to Oz.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ChrK wrote
    Ordered today:

On the way:

What a fantastic order punk

Are you familiar with the RVW works Christian?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    George Fenton's PLANET EARTH. I caught a few tracks from this on Last FM. Let's just say when I saw the whole thing was over two and quarter hours I was sold!
  2. Got my shipping notice from FSM for:

"The Flim-Flam Man"
    "Big Wednesday"
    and ... I can barely wait ... you guessed it: "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan".

Screen Archives has a tendancy sometimes to e-mail shipping noticed after already mailed, or even already delivered, so I have strong hopes of seeing this in the mail box today. shocked
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    George Fenton's PLANET EARTH. I caught a few tracks from this on Last FM. Let's just say when I saw the whole thing was over two and quarter hours I was sold!

You should have been sold from all the positive comments this has received on this forum ever since its day of release! You're in for a treat. Some might say that it's a rare beauty.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    ^
    FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    An unusually large bunch:

- None but the Brave
    - Lonely Are the Brave
    - Star Trek II
    - In Harm's Way
    - Lost in Space (the Broughton Intrada CD)
    - Goodbye, Mr Chips (FSM)
    - Force 10 from Navarone
    - The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (FSM)
    - Over the Rainbow (Boston Pops)
    - Glory
    - Eastern Promises
    - Spider-Man 2
    - The Painted Veil
    - The Wings of a Film
    - Elizabeth & Essex (Gerhardt)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    I would say an 'unusually large bunch' of mostly exceptional film music. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My last holy grail: Runaway Train - Trevor Jones
    Nice expanded edition from La-La Land.
    I can't for the life of me understand why this score makes such an impact on me, but it does. It's a cold, sombre score with a a nigh-clinical feel to it (not in the least part due to a lot of eighties' percussion), but its oppressive mood keeps me absolutely enthralled!

Oh, and the odd, slow rendition of Vivaldi's Gloria (ET In Terra Pax) is something to behold, indeed.

Also in the same package: Star Trek II - James Horner
    's OK.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    My last holy grail: Runaway Train - Trevor Jones
    Nice expanded edition from La-La Land.

There´s an expanded edition?!

I can't for the life of me understand why this score makes such an impact on me, but it does. It's a cold, sombre score with a a nigh-clinical feel to it (not in the least part due to a lot of eighties' percussion), but its oppressive mood keeps me absolutely enthralled!

Well, you´ve probably seen the movie. I feel the very same way about the score. It´s so brilliantly perfect for the movie that you can´t listen to it without the haunting image of that unleashed monster of a train running through those snow-covered landscapes in your mind.
  3. Konchalovsky's film is indeed amazing. I haven't heard the score though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website