• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    No it's because we are so overwhelmed with music, especially the kind we can listen to before it's even available legally. There was a time way back when you could only hear film music in the films, discovering it on album after you had seen the film was the standard back then. Now, sadly it's the other way around.

I don't think so, in the 80's and 90's you could listen to music and you didn't need to see the movie to fully appreciate it, nowadays it's all more about underscoring the action or drama on screen, luckily there are still exceptions

I think it depends on your point of view. I'd say most film music of the 80s was from a more intellectual standpoint than today's; today you could lift a lot of scores from one film and put them in another and few people would realise anything was amiss, so you couldn't say you need to see the film to appreciate them. Of course there's still the non-RC or RC-inspired stuff where largely that isn't true, but by and large scores of the 80s were much more individually crafted for their films, at least the scores by the better composers of the day.
  1. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    No it's because we are so overwhelmed with music, especially the kind we can listen to before it's even available legally. There was a time way back when you could only hear film music in the films, discovering it on album after you had seen the film was the standard back then. Now, sadly it's the other way around.

I don't think so, in the 80's and 90's you could listen to music and you didn't need to see the movie to fully appreciate it, nowadays it's all more about underscoring the action or drama on screen, luckily there are still exceptions

I think it depends on your point of view. I'd say most film music of the 80s was from a more intellectual standpoint than today's; today you could lift a lot of scores from one film and put them in another and few people would realise anything was amiss, so you couldn't say you need to see the film to appreciate them. Of course there's still the non-RC or RC-inspired stuff where largely that isn't true, but by and large scores of the 80s were much more individually crafted for their films, at least the scores by the better composers of the day.

and that's perhaps another reason why filmmusic of today is so much harder to digest, the lack of legendary composers shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    and that's perhaps another reason why filmmusic of today is so much harder to digest, the lack of legendary composers shame

LOL! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010 edited
    Yeah look at David Arnold, he was well on his way to become legendary during the late nineties... What has he done the last ten years that comes close to his early stuff? But honestly you can't blame the composer if they're not asked to compose like that anymore.

Even Giacchino isn't asked to write in his big militaristic style anymore, the style I got to know and love him by. But he's done plenty of good things since then, only time will tell if all of those things will amount to legendary status.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How is everyone so sure that whenever a general stylistic departure is taking place is due to be blamed on the directors and the demands on behalf of the industry, and NOT factors having to do with the composer himself?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sunil wrote
    WALL-E

Wow! i was totally mesmerised at first listen. It was like love at first sight. Newman again proved as damn good composer of this era. In fact, i don't have words to describe about this score. I am very very glad to own this score album.

Absolutely adored the movie and the score gained a lot more meaning afterwards, at least i was able to appreciate it after the initial let-down on CD, before i watched the film.

indeed, listening to the score before having seen the film wasn't a good experience, after it, it all made more sense

lately, I've been encountering this with a lot of movie scores (Let the Right One In, UP, Ratatouille, Wall E), I need to see the movie to get the full picture behind the score, I think this is also another part of evolution movie music of today is going through, it's much more fixated on the visuals nowadays

I am quite different in this case. I haven't seen Wall-E yet but still then i appreciate this score. I don't know how did i fell in love with this score before watching movie. But now, i am tempted to see this movie. Hmmm... all i have to do is hire DVD and watch it.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just do it, you'll absolutely love it. It's such a heartwarming gem.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    AN AMERICAN TAIL: FEIVEL GOES WEST - James Horner
  2. Anybody else ordered from Lalaland around the beginning of december and getting anxious for their order to arrive? I'm just hoping it hasn't been lost, I've been awaiting Innerspace for so long now. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm just hoping it hasn't been lost, I've been awaiting Innerspace for so long now. sad

Don't worry, Gilles! you will get it atleast before 2012 wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just got my copy of A Whale For The Killing and a nice Sideways surprise from BP cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Sunil wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm just hoping it hasn't been lost, I've been awaiting Innerspace for so long now. sad

Don't worry, Gilles! you will get it atleast before 2012 wink

Well thanks... that's quite the reassurance. slant
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Alejandro Amenábar - The Others
    Chris Hedges - New Heroes
    Alexandre Desplat - Se, Jie
    Béatrice Thiriet - Lady Chatterley
  4. Christmas is extending well into January! Looking forward to working my way through the following titles over the next few days/weeks:

Supernova - David Williams / Burkhard Dallwitz
    Hellfighters - Leonard Rosenman
    Last Rites - Bruce Broughton
    Winterhawk - Lee Holdridge
    Thirst - Cho Young-Wuk

The clips for all of these sounded very appealling. Broughton and Holdridge are not normally composers who I buy but from what I've heard of Last Rites already this may be my favourite Broughton title. We'll see when I listen to the CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    While playing Carnival Of Animals, I remembered I still haven't bought this one:

Fantasia 2000 - conducted by James Levine

Also bought this:

Home Alone - John Williams
    One month late again christmas_drunk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    Miya wrote
    While playing Carnival Of Animals, I remembered I still haven't bought this one:

Fantasia 2000 - conducted by James Levine

Also bought this:

Home Alone - John Williams
    One month late again christmas_drunk

Just see it as being 11 months early! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Arrived this morining from SAE:

Death of A Salesman / Rashomon - Alex North / Laurence Rosenthal
    Silent Night, Bloody Night - Gershon Kingsley (titled Night of The Dark Full Moon in the UK apparently)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    Jerry Goldsmith - The Blue Max (expanded)
    James Peterson - The Red Canvas
    Pinooooooo! - L'Uomo Che Cavalcava Nel Buio
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    [b]Jerry Goldsmith - The Blue Max (expanded)

Wow! cool. How is it, BP?
  6. Me too

- The Blue Max
    - Sahara (for Thomas)
    - The Definitive Horror Music Collection.

And I'm still waiting for, but I think the package has been lost crazy

- Innerspace
    - Bad Boys
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote

- The Definitive Horror Music Collection.

Oh! what's that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Just ordered it. Not yet arrived. As for the score... here's a review- http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/blue_max.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

I don't think any punter actually has it yet. I ordered it too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    My recent Purchases:

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST - John Debney - very depressive and sad score i have ever heard, even then i adore this one.

MUNICH - John Williams - Superb and great stuff from Maestro. This is the only score i have been searching for so long time. I have almost all the score of Williams. This one was missing in my collection. But now, i got it. I am extremely delighted. punk

UP - Michael Giacchino - I just enjoyed this score at first listen. Hmmm... i have to give more listen to this score. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Great choices. Just out of curiosity, how did you buy Up? I seem to recall you saying that you didn't have a credit card.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    Great choices. Just out of curiosity, how did you buy Up? I seem to recall you saying that you didn't have a credit card.

Actually, my cousin residing at Newyork. He visited last week to my city, his own house is very near to my place. Before coming to India, he asked me do i need anything from USA? I asked him if possible bring me some score albums, i gave him a list.

Munich
    UP
    Back to the Future
    Indiana Jones The Soundtrack Collections
    Silverado

But you know he laughed at me and said, "hey, ask something else, score albums? are you crazy? i coolly replied, "Indeed! i am crazy". biggrin And again he asked me, "Are you sure? i don't bring any another thing", i replied, "I don't need any thing from USA, only thing i don't get here is score albums, If you do that, i would be grateful".

Fortunately, he could bring only two score albums Munich and UP. Unfortunately, he couldn't find others. He visits to my city once in two years. So, i grab this opportunity. Moreover, he never asked me like this before. Why should i waste this chance? Of course, i paid him, because there is no free lunch in this world. wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, nice. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought UP was available only as download.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    I thought UP was available only as download.

You are right. He downloaded from Amazon website MP3 downloads and transfer it to CD. I insisted him download Indiana Jones also but he said too big and too expensive. In fact, i checked out the track listing of UP, the last three tracks are missing. I asked him about it, he said those tracks available only in album. Who cares, the last three tracks are seems to be songs. This is far more enough for me. I am quite lucky guy. Moreover, I requested him to bring me remaining ones next time if he comes to my city. Hmmm... i have to wait for another 2 years. sad