• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - [i]Michael Giacchino[i]

Superior effort by Giacchino. Memorable main theme, soarin' action, heartfelt love theme, rapid fire brass writing, and a showstopping finale! This is Giacchino in top form!

-Erik-

I'm listening to it, too! beer punk
  1. I traded off the 2CD of SWON because it was just boring. Don't recall a single theme from it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    I traded off the 2CD of SWON because it was just boring. Don't recall a single theme from it.

SYMPHONETTE #2

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    I traded off the 2CD of SWON because it was just boring. Don't recall a single theme from it.

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    William wrote
    justin boggan wrote

rolleyes

That's Boggan... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Studio Audience Claps and Fade To Black.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Symphonette #2 nuff said!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote
    justin boggan wrote

rolleyes

That's Boggan... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Studio Audience Claps and Fade To Black.

-Erik-

lol
  3. And I'd trade it off again.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    justin boggan wrote

/bitchslap
  4. Bregt, another emot!

justin boggan wrote
    And I'd trade it off again.

face-palm-mt
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt, another emot!

justin boggan wrote
    And I'd trade it off again.

face-palm-mt

:mega-facepalm:

Sorry Justin, but you're hilarious. biggrin
  5. Steven wrote
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Secret Weapons Over Normandy is the second coming of Christ?

<looks around>

Yep, seems that way.

Hey Steven. I think I'll come over to your house to play today! beer

I mean - 'yeah, it's good, but it's not like it's <insert obscure composer>'s brilliant score for <insert obscure film title>'. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited
    NP:Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (Jablonsky).

I love Jablonsky sound design since he "composed" the Island. It's really modern and hight tech.

While transformers 2 doesn't have the great main themes (or theme) from the first one, it has some really great soundscapes.

"The Fallen" is dark and opressive. The Lisbeth scoth-like vocals in "infinite white" are really mindblowing. Some arabic (maybe just because I remember the trailer) feeling.

I'm in the middle of my first listen, and while it's even more generic than the first one, Jablonsky still knows how to create digital sounds.

EDIT.

very dissapointing . Jablonsky forgot all what was good in the first score.

Ironically one of the best tracks, with the tracks I said above, is Zimmer's arrangement of Linkin Park song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    Jesus of Nazareth - Maurice Jarre

When I first encountered the CD I was a bit disappointed that it only contains 40 minutes of music from this mega-long TV movie. But after listening to it, I thought, this 40 minutes is very much enough, because all the main themes are there and it makes a good listening - and maybe because it hasn't become my favourite of the composer.
    The main Jesus theme is absolutely great but after that the score just doesn't really go anywhere, and although it is melodic all the way through, there is not a single melody beside the main theme that would stay in the listener's memory.
    All in all a good score but far from being great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    very dissapointing . Jablonsky forgot all what was good in the first score.

A VERY lazy effort. Although Optimus Theme´s variation is really good (and very epic in all of its variations through the album) the rest is really weak. Only a good variation of the Autobots Theme.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    ridiculous copy/paste of the Autobots Theme to finish the album the same way as the first one.

Yes, it's rubbish.

I like "Nest" as a guilty pleasure , "The fallen" and "inifite white" as "chill out" and the rest is generic and unmemorable.

Optimus was my les favourite theme from the first one. I would prefer Bumbelbee theme over this one. But you have to be ___ to not use (even if it's only in the soundtrack) the best thing from the first score: THE THEME!

Again seems the composer was with so much preasure scoring a BIG movie.

Where is "soccer attack", "scorponok" , "sam to the roof" or "arrival to earth"??? oh yes, in the first realease tongue

NP:TMNT promo

Now this is a real fun ride!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - Steve Jablonsky

A little disappointing indeed, but not really that bad. There's much more electronics and synths here than the first score, and there's surprisingly less action music. A lot of it consists of synth/electronic soundscapes and also some ethreal sounding vocals (which IMO are the best parts) in tracks like Infinite White and Matrix Of Leadership, the last of which also has a nice reprise of the Arrival To Earth theme. There are some dark male vocals in the action tracks toward the end like Forest Battle and I Claim Your Sun, and horns and strings based action music over a lot of electronic percussion.

I like the new string ostinato based theme which appears in quite a few tracks, especially the first one. The previous score's Optimus theme is also used in quite a few of places, and the effect is pretty good. The "Nest" track is something of a guilty pleasure I think, but I found the guitars obnoxiously loud and distracting. Tomb Of The Primes is probably the best track on here.

Overall, I cannot help but think the score could've been much better. But it still has quite some enjoyable stuff. Of course, it's possible the album tracks were poorly selected and there's good unreleased material in the movie, but we can confirm only after watching it onscreen.

Rating - 3.5 out of 5
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote
    Jesus of Nazareth - Maurice Jarre

When I first encountered the CD I was a bit disappointed that it only contains 40 minutes of music from this mega-long TV movie. But after listening to it, I thought, this 40 minutes is very much enough, because all the main themes are there and it makes a good listening - and maybe because it hasn't become my favourite of the composer.
    The main Jesus theme is absolutely great but after that the score just doesn't really go anywhere, and although it is melodic all the way through, there is not a single melody beside the main theme that would stay in the listener's memory.
    All in all a good score but far from being great.

I don't have that problem, I think it's great from begining to end and I'd certainly welcome an expanded release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Secret Weapons Over Normandy is the second coming of Christ?

<looks around>

Yep, seems that way.

They're just 2 of us i think

Obviously your ears are wrong.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

<looks around>

Yep, seems that way.

They're just 2 of us i think

Obviously your ears are wrong.

But not a single person has siad they don't like it.

I believe there are now four of us who don't rant and rave about it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

Stalingrad! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    SWON is a very good score!

While most of us have already heard Revenge of the Fallen (what a title rolleyes ), and decided that it is more of the same, followed by the decision to not buy the official cd, I'm listening to the weirdest thing in some months

Queen Margot - Goran Bregovic

Not sure what to make of it, if there's anything to make of actually. It's like all sort of music brought together, with clearly a Balkanian direction. Choir, dark male choir and vocals (Ofra Haza! olalala!), guitar and orchestra, some danceable stuff, and other odd characteristics.

I remember Martijn and Bregje liking this one a lot?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh man! That score is bloomin FANTASTIC!
    Easily the best thing Bregovic has ever done.
    Yes, it's an eclectic mix, and yes, there's certainly a very clear -and pretty dark- Eastern European overtone, but the result just comes together wonderfully!
    I love it. LOVE it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You are crazy.

(I like it too! But more the mystery of it, and the rather unique mix. But don't tell it to anyone, I might get chased)

I have heard the track Rencontre before though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Chased? Not by me, mate.
    It's good seeing you seduced by the darkly passionate wonder and mystery that is the Balkan sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty - Michael Giacchino

First listen. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote

First listen. smile

LOVE.IT! Play it loud punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    William wrote

First listen. smile

LOVE.IT! Play it loud punk

OK. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Before I get back into Secret Weapons Over Normandy (didn't have time to finish it yesterday) I'm spinning one of the most impressive action cues EVER COMPOSED! "Carriage Chase" from CutThroat Island

punk

-Erik-