• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    Apparently, Hank didn't have his own thread yet.

Being rather unfamiliar with much of his work, I've just ordered the Original Album Classics box. Looking forward to it.

Is Lifeforce very good, too?
  1. The only thing I know of him is the main theme of Lifeforce, and that's really good
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Thomas, Pink Panther and Peter Gunn too smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No Mancini thread? Wow, it's about bloody time.

Btw, it's a great set you've picked up there, fommes. Some real classics. BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S is pure hangover day therapy for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No Mancini thread? shocked
    A blatant and most embarassing omission on the board indeed!

Excellent set there, fommes! I can't make out all the albums, but I do recognise Breakfast At Tiffany's, Peter Gunn and The Pink Panther.
    These alone are worth the price, so well done! Excellent scores one and all (provided you are partial to Henry's unique jazz stylings. Me, I frigging love 'em! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I love Baby Elephant's Walk form Hatari. I've known this piece from long time ago even though I haven't seen the movie at all!

Moon River is also lovely. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    fommes wrote
    Is Lifeforce very good, too?

Try this and be enlightened. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    I love Baby Elephant's Walk form Hatari. I've known this piece from long time ago even though I haven't seen the movie at all!

Me too.
    It's been a favourite of mine ever since I started getting into soundtracks!
    It's such a lovely little piece!

Here it is in its original context.
    It's so love cute! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What you're getting in Combo, Mr. Lucky, and Peter Gunn is lighter jazz. Pink Panther and Breakfast at Tiffany's are staples in the Mancini collecting. Combo is interesting as it uses a harpsichord. I have nearly everything he has ever released and once had the pleasure of having him direct our U of M band in the 60's. In addition to piano he played a pretty cool piccolo.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Combo is interesting as it uses a harpsichord.

shocked I need to look into that one!
    I have nearly everything he has ever released

cool VERY cool!
    and once had the pleasure of having him direct our U of M band in the 60's.

shocked cool EXTREMELY cool!!
    In addition to piano he played a pretty cool piccolo.

shocked cool freezing ZERO KELVIN on the coolness scale!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL! cheesy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor and Martijn,
    He played Stars and Stripes Forever with us.
  3. U of M?

University of...? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, the M stands for Many.
    It's like a "primus inter pares" sorta connotation: YOU of MANY.
    It's to make the individual feel exalted.
    Very libertarian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've no idea what Stars and Stripes Forever is, but it must have been a great moment to see him conducting at your university, Tom.
  4. One of many traditional American patriotic songs. That said, I've only heard the title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I've no idea what Stars and Stripes Forever is.

Heathen. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Stars and Stripes Forever is a famous John Philip Sousa march and M stands for Minnesota one of the Big Ten schools.
  5. I wondered if it didn't stand for Miami smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Stars and Stripes Forever is a famous John Philip Sousa march

And one of his finest.
    Absolutely rousing, even when American patriotic sentiments are as absent in the listener as is a good glass of rum is currently absent from my desk.
    The latter however will be remedied anon!
  6. I love Washington Post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a fine newspaper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I have nearly everything he has ever released and once had the pleasure of having him direct our U of M band in the 60's. In addition to piano he played a pretty cool piccolo.
    Thomas smile

U of M! Hey there, alumnus! wink
  7. Martijn wrote
    Absolutely rousing!

And look what YouTube suggests for further listening: The Imperial March! biggrin
  8. lol
  9. He did a beautiful score to "The Thorn Birds" which Varese released as a 2CD set (which has yet to sell out). You guys should check that out.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    He did a beautiful score to "The Thorn Birds" which Varese released as a 2CD set (which has yet to sell out). You guys should check that out.

beer

Indeed! That's a lovely score from what I've heard on SST. There's also a book on scoring it-

The result is a one-of-a-kind book that describes, in the composer's own words, his experiences on a massive four-hour score for a 10-hour film: specific ideas on the approach to themes and their development, source music, the role of the music editor and orchestrator, choosing an orchestra, attending to the details of recording, dubbing and even when to keep one's mouth shut when in the same room with producers and studio executives.

In short, writes Mancini: "This book is a step-by-step account of my work on The Thorn Birds. It deals with the real problems and the real people one encounters in this profession."

http://www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_ev … 22904.html

Case History of a Film Score: The Thorn Birds
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    WOW! shocked How the frig did Mancini miss out for so long for his own thread here shame <-- all of us!

And Tom, man, what a super cool experience cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt