• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    I'm really pleased by this. Arnold's approach has grown on me considerably but it does feel like he's said what he can say in these films now. There's been a lot of talk lately (fuelled by Reznor/Ross in particular) of dumbing down... and here we have a high-profile action film being scored by a guy whose father was the godfather of film music's orchestral golden age. Will be fascinating to see what he does with it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Christopher Lennertz

Hmmm.......
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Couldn't disagree more! Powell's been there, done that!

-Erik-

Couldn't disagree more... with your... disagreement. I'd love to hear Powell in a Bond movie. It's true that he has practically been there, but that's what would make such a choice make sense.

That said, I do find the choice of Thomas Newman so bizarre that I'm looking forward to the result. They might as well have hired Rachel Portman. Has he ever done anything before remotely bondish?

Peter smile

[edit]

Yeah 'cause Powell's Bond scores would be so different from his Bourne scores and the action material he puts out during the last 5-6 years wink

Thomas Newman is the freshest, most excellent decision imo, lots of premise and very interesting project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Yeah 'cause Powell's Bond scores would be so interesting from his Bourne scores and the action material he puts out during the last 5-6 years wink

Actually, I think it would. He's been doing mostly animated films recently, so it would be nice to hear Powell do something like a Bond film. I'm sure there'd be some similarities between his Bourne scores, but Bond is a different kind of film with a lot more heritage. Bond is suave and, well, British. Bourne is just a hardcore badass. I'm sure Powell would reflect that in his music! (As he did so well for Bourne.)

That said, I have high hopes for Newman. He's one the best film composers today!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I meant to say "different" which i edited above but i see you already understood that smile
  1. Anthony wrote
    That's precisely why I'm worried. This could go horribly wrong or wonderfully well.

that's what I thought at first when discovering Howard Shore would do LOTR. Trust me, I've never been so glad to be wrong smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Yeah 'cause Powell's Bond scores would be so different from his Bourne scores and the action material he puts out during the last 5-6 years wink

And that's an argument? dizzy Considering the amazing material Powell produced for the Bourne scores and other scores the last 5-6 years, having him score a Bond movie I can't help but find very appealing. When it comes to Powell, "more of the same" isn't exactly a bad thing. That said, I doubt it would be the same as the Bourne scores.

Demetris wrote
    Thomas Newman is the freshest, most excellent decision imo, lots of premise and very interesting project.

It's a fascinating decision, I agree with you there.

Peter smile
  2. Fuck yes! Maybe now we'll hear Newman do a formal action/adventure score.
  3. plindboe wrote
    Has he ever done anything before remotely bondish?

Peter smile

The Debt is probably the closest he's come so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Demetris wrote

And that's an argument? dizzy Considering the amazing material Powell produced for the Bourne scores and other scores the last 5-6 years, having him score a Bond movie I can't help but find very appealing. When it comes to Powell, "more of the same" isn't exactly a bad thing. That said, I doubt it would be the same as the Bourne scores.

Yeah but i'd very much rather hear something unexpected and new for a change, like - hopefully, Newman's approach.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    plindboe wrote
    When it comes to Powell, "more of the same" isn't exactly a bad thing.

It is when it's just animation after animation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    plindboe wrote
    When it comes to Powell, "more of the same" isn't exactly a bad thing.

It is when it's just animation after animation!

No it not because he is really good at it... and good at it I mean scoring ADVENTURE films (not animation because it isn't a genre) which is what HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, MARS NEEDS MOMS, KUNG FU PANDA and RIO are.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's starting to all sound a little the same. He's just so good at doing live action stuff (Paycheck, Bourne, Cody Banks, Knight And Day) that it annoys me to not see any of these upcoming from him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    It's starting to all sound a little the same. He's just so good at doing live action stuff (Paycheck, Bourne, Cody Banks, Knight And Day) that it annoys me to not see any of these upcoming from him.

Agreed!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Live action and animation are not GENRES. Quit referring to them as such!

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Anthony wrote

I think there's immense variety in his animated scores. Horton hears a who, Happy feet, Kung fu panda, the Ice ages, Mars needs moms; while they do share some commonalities, they are also rather different.

I wouldn't really mind if Powell scored for animation the rest of his life.

Peter smile
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Live action and animation are not GENRES. Quit referring to them as such!

crazy

-Erik-

I always found this one of the most annoying things about the IFMCA's many groupings. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yup!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012 edited
    It's official:-

Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli today announced that composer Thomas Newman will score the 23rd James Bond film, SKYFALL. “We are delighted to confirm that Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL. Thomas is one of the most respected and successful composers, he has a long history of working with Sam Mendes and we look forward to welcoming him into the Bond family,” commented Michael. G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli.

Said Newman today, “I’m incredibly excited to be working with Sam again. It’s a real thrill to be able to collaborate on something as special as a Bond movie.”

Thomas Newman, born on 20th October 1955 in Los Angeles, California, has scored four of Sam Mendes’s previous movies: American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Jarhead and Revolutionary Road. He has composed the music to more than fifty films and television series including Erin Brockovich, The Shawshank Redemption and Wall-E and has earned ten Academy Award nominations, won a BAFTA, five Grammys and an Emmy.

Newman takes over musical duties from David Arnold who is currently Music Director of the London Olympic and Paralympic closing ceremonies. David will continue to be involved with the 50th anniversary of Bond and recently produced the John Barry Memorial Concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Said Arnold of the news: “I’m a huge fan of Thomas Newman so I am as excited as anyone to see where Sam Mendes and his team take James Bond on his 50th anniversary.”
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    Now that it's been officially confirmed, I find myself rather excited. Newman's one of my favourite living composers and I really haven't a clue of what to expect - that's the beauty of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The same here, I find it hard to imagine a Newman Bond score but I'm looking forward to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Most exciting score for 2012! It's released this year right?
    Kazoo
  5. I'm very interested to hear what he'll come up with. punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope he'll be working on the song too.
  6. He should be safe, now that I give it a quick thought. I know of no full rejected Bond score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's a person actually named Broccoli?
  7. Demetris wrote

Lt. Reginald Barclay.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i guess if you can be named "Chris.P.Bacon" then all is possible :broccoli:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

I've read somewhere that it's a family name given to this vegetable.