• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012
    Martijn wrote
    You and me together, mate.
    That film just goes ON and ON and ON and ON...urgh...

(Hell is probably having to watch Meet Joe Black for all eternity...which pretty much suggests that it's actually one viewing, come to think of it).

Yeap! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It has Anthony Hopkins in it, my second favourite actor of all time. For that reason alone, it's worth watching, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony Hopkins is one of my favourite actors too but you'd never catch me watching this bore-fest again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ditto. Terrible film - saying that, it's handsome to look at, glorious music (but for perhaps the only time in his career, it's just too much for a film that's already too much). I'll stick to the album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you totally James and yes, it's a very good album.
  1. It's sad that Newman will likely never write music like that again -- old-fashioned but still elegant.
  2. Southall wrote
    Ditto. Terrible film - saying that, it's handsome to look at, glorious music (but for perhaps the only time in his career, it's just too much for a film that's already too much). I'll stick to the album.

Meet Joe Black is completely mesmerizing for me, from start to end, the music plays a big part naturally, but so do the actors, and the story. Brad Pitt is very interesting, almost childlike and naive. Anthony Hopkins is great as usual. And Claire Forlani has eyes to lose yourself in.

So whenever you say it's a terrible film James, I happen to think it's a great film.

Who is right here? I know I am. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    I loved it, although i am not fond of Forlani at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

Meet Joe Black is completely mesmerizing for me, from start to end, the music plays a big part naturally, but so do the actors, and the story. Brad Pitt is very interesting, almost childlike and naive. Anthony Hopkins is great as usual. And Claire Forlani has eyes to lose yourself in.

So whenever you say it's a terrible film James, I happen to think it's a great film.

Yes you are....in Bizarro world.
  3. Demetris wrote
    I loved it, although i am not fond of Forlani at all.

I think she's a real beauty, especially in Meet Joe Black
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes you are....in Bizarro world.

How is there in Weirdville? tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. I would also like to put a good word in for Claire Forlani.

And for whoever said Newman's music was over the top in the film. I'm not sure about all of it, but 'That Next Place' puts a bit too much pomp on a scene that lost its mystery partly through the music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    I would also like to put a good word in for Claire Forlani.

And for whoever said Newman's music was over the top in the film. I'm not sure about all of it, but 'That Next Place' puts a bit too much pomp on a scene that lost its mystery partly through the music.

That was me and yes you're right.
  6. No it gave it the grandeur that scene required, a celebration of the good and succesful life of Bill Parrish. In musical terms that has to overwhelm.
  7. DreamTheater wrote In musical terms that has to overwhelm.

It's a matter of taste whether it has to overwhelm the scene, but I agree that it did.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote In musical terms that has to overwhelm.

It's a matter of taste whether it has to overwhelm the scene, but I agree that it did.

for me that's what good filmmusic is all about

if you look at it, filmmusic that's overblown also becomes extremely memorable

I heard Signs and its immense finale "the hand of fate" before I went to see the movie, until realizing the scene was actually not that big at all. So you could say that finale is also overblown, making it perhaps for some extremely ridiculous

so, for me, music that's overblown for its own part is what makes the music memorable, and the scene legendary as well

biggest problem of the movie music of today, the music isn't anymore memorable because it's there to support the scene, not elevate it anymore

so give me overblown movie music like Meet Joe Black and Sings and many more examples any day punk
  9. You said it little brother! beer

War Horse should please the hell out of you. wink
  10. Thomas Glorieux wrote

so give me overblown movie music like Meet Joe Black and Sings and many more examples any day punk

Like I said, it's a matter of taste.
    But I do agree -- the Meet Joe Black finale music certainly overwhelms its context.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote In musical terms that has to overwhelm.

for me that's what good filmmusic is all about

if you look at it, filmmusic that's overblown also becomes extremely memorable

I heard Signs and its immense finale "the hand of fate" before I went to see the movie, until realizing the scene was actually not that big at all. So you could say that finale is also overblown, making it perhaps for some extremely ridiculous

so, for me, music that's overblown for its own part is what makes the music memorable, and the scene legendary as well

biggest problem of the movie music of today, the music isn't anymore memorable because it's there to support the scene, not elevate it anymore

For me, it's a matter of two completely different worlds.

As far as soundtracks are concerned, I obviously want something interesting to latch on to -- whether interesting textural, melodic hooks or cool orchestrational choices etc.

As far as film viewing is concerned, a whole other set of criteria comes into play. There are brilliant scores-in-context I wouldn't dream of owning or listening to alone, like the TERMINATOR scores or most traditional horror scores.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. You should give Insidious a watch. I'm not kidding, the music will most decidedly give you the willies and increases the terror created by the film by a tenfold, it's EXTREMELY effective, but I could never listen to it outside of the film. You will understand why once you've seen the film.

But the best scores for me are always the ones that work in as well as outside of the film. Those are the ones I will never tire of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    You should give Insidious a watch. I'm not kidding, the music will most decidedly give you the willies and increases the terror created by the film by a tenfold, it's EXTREMELY effective, but I could never listen to it outside of the film. You will understand why once you've seen the film.

But the best scores for me are always the ones that work in as well as outside of the film. Those are the ones I will never tire of.

I've seen that film. Some pretty creepy sequences, for sure. But I must admit I don't remember much other than that devil figure thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. I had a funny experience with that finale scene in MEET JOE BLACK. The first time I saw it that was the only scene I saw and I remember thinking, "Whoever wrote this music is trying really hard to be epic and great, but they're clearly not as talented as an A-list composer." biggrin Super ignorant. The second time I saw that scene it was after watching most of the film and the score had me in tears. I was deeply moved by that scene. It is now my favorite piece of film music! I can't remember if I learned who composed it before or after that second viewing or how much of the rest of Newman's music I was familiar with at that point. While I admit that the finale is heavy-handed, I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    You should give Insidious a watch. I'm not kidding, the music will most decidedly give you the willies and increases the terror created by the film by a tenfold, it's EXTREMELY effective, but I could never listen to it outside of the film. You will understand why once you've seen the film.

Absolutely, great flick and great score. Overlooked, both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    -
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Absolutely, great flick and great score. Overlooked, both of them.

I think Insidious has one of the most mindblowing effective scores I've ever heard, tough to listen to but an enormous piece of atonality that elevates the horror on screen to unseen heights. So much more rewarding than those stupid horror efforts of the last years, but definitely not a listen you'll enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, yeap and yeap, completely and utterly agree. Very overlooked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Opening theme from HBO's new drama series The Newsrooom, by Thomas Newman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlf-xX2qbQ
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great! The appeal is not so much the melody (which isn't very defined), but more in Newman's use of harmony. That always attracts me to him.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall