• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I wonder why Newman has never thought to score an entire series? Judging from Angels in America, he would dominate that medium.

Angels in America was a mini-series... hence a feature film. Composing for an entire series of episodic TV is quite demanding and the turn around is insane.

-Erik-

I'm sure it wouldn't be anything Newman can't handle.

But does he want to commit to something like that.

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    BTW, regarding your signature, I like John Williams, but not THAT much.

Yeah... that's there for yonythemoony just in case he dares to show his face around here again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I wonder why Newman has never thought to score an entire series? Judging from Angels in America, he would dominate that medium.

Angels in America was a mini-series... hence a feature film. Composing for an entire series of episodic TV is quite demanding and the turn around is insane.

-Erik-

I'm sure it wouldn't be anything Newman can't handle.

BTW, regarding your signature, I like John Williams, but not THAT much.

Well, that Williams thing reminded me of something involving Williams, Poledouris, and some score fans.

This story was told at MMUK, but the search function doesn't work well enough to find it.

There was some kind of music event years ago, and in attendance were John Williams and Basil Poledouris.
    Basil was at a table chatting with fans and one got up to use the bathroom.
    He came back and said how he ended up next to, or Williams stood next to him, at the wall urinals, but didn't have the nerve to say anything since they were in the bathroom.

There's a breif moment, and Basil said, "So, did you see it?"

biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think we should do a separate topic on TV themes (maybe there is one already), but I agree with Erik -- the theme for GAME OF THRONES is fabulous. I particularly love the B theme that pops up at, I believe, the moment when the Great Wall is shown in the credit sequence.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I think we should do a separate topic on TV themes (maybe there is one already)

We should. It would be nice to find a place where the forum's saner members could explain how awful the theme for Game of Thrones is without polluting the Thomas Newman topic! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I think we should do a separate topic on TV themes (maybe there is one already), but I agree with Erik -- the theme for GAME OF THRONES is fabulous. I particularly love the B theme that pops up at, I believe, the moment when the Great Wall is shown in the credit sequence.

Aww yeah! punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    What's missing from "Anvil of Crom" is the mystical, magical elements that is found in Djawadi's theme.

I'm sorry... mystery and magic is in THE MUMMY RETURNS, but not in CONAN? wink MUMMY RETURNS is as straight an adventure score as I've heard.

But in any case, without musicology being necessary, I'd be very interested to find out where in that GOT theme the sense of 'magic' tingles the hairs on your neck. (As far as I can tell, the show is doing all the heavy lifting in that regard.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. I´m with Erik on this one.

I agree that the soundscape of GoT´s main title theme is a bit simplistic; that doesn´t change the fact that the theme itself is fantastic, totally fitting, and extremely versatile, as Erik already said. Listen to the finale tracks from season one and two. Totally different situations, same theme (at the end, not the beginning), completely different mood. And that is right for many themes from the score. If you look at what Djawadi did with that Kingsroad Theme from Season 1, making a dark version of it into Joffrey´s Theme for Season 2 - brilliant. Or the fantastic evolution of Dany´s quiet, exotic ambient theme into that rousing first half of Season 1´s finale... Game of Thrones certainly is Djawadi´s best effort at the moment, and totally worth mentioning in the Great TV Scores category.

Poledouris fits only in certain situations or for specific characters, but generally, it would be over the top for GoT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    What's missing from "Anvil of Crom" is the mystical, magical elements that is found in Djawadi's theme.

I'm sorry... mystery and magic is in THE MUMMY RETURNS, but not in CONAN? wink MUMMY RETURNS is as straight an adventure score as I've heard.

I'm not talking about the WHOLE score. I was talking about the use of one track as a substitute for the main title theme on Game of Thrones. IMO, Silvestri's The Mummy Returns End Credits works much better than Poledouris Anvil of Crom.

franz_conrad wrote
    But in any case, without musicology being necessary, I'd be very interested to find out where in that GOT theme the sense of 'magic' tingles the hairs on your neck. (As far as I can tell, the show is doing all the heavy lifting in that regard.)

When the chorus kicks in over top the of B theme as we fly over Pentos! Magic! And I also love that playful little pluck of the Game of Thrones ostinato right at the end of the track!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    You are mad. I thought it was you that want more melody in their film music. I can't think of a more memorable melody written in 2011.

-Erik-

It's good, but just the main theme. Then both the scores so far released on cd go into terrible snooze mode for the whole duration.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see Alan needn't have bothered doing a TV Themes thread. rolleyes

biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You are mad. I thought it was you that want more melody in their film music. I can't think of a more memorable melody written in 2011.

-Erik-

It's good, but just the main theme. Then both the scores so far released on cd go into terrible snooze mode for the whole duration.

Agreed. The score sucks on CD but it works great in the show!

-Erik-
  4. Back to Newman, I wonder how Skyfall is turning out. I get the feeling that it will be the score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. The score sucks on CD but it works great in the show!

-Erik-

This is what i hear around, i will have to watch that show sometime i guess... smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Do it! It's a fantastic show!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm not talking about the WHOLE score.

Indeed. (Neither was I talking about the whole of Poledouris's CONAN.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For the avoidance of doubt, when I said Game of Thrones was rubbish, I WAS talking about the whole of it. smile
  6. I think the straw that broke the camel's back for me was realising how much of the 'eerie music beyond the wall' was influenced by a temp. It was one of the only bits in the show where the music felt apt and not cheap for me, and for it to be so derivative of an unimaginative source... well, you'd have to say it was done in a rush.

There's music that makes shows much better than they are (LOST, surely). And there's shows that make music much better than it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Back to Newman, I wonder how Skyfall is turning out. I get the feeling that it will be the score of the year.

I'm totally intrigued/facinated to know/hear what kind of Bond score Newman will compose.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I'm pretty sure that whatever he comes up with will rankle some people simply because they don't like change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I just watched The Newsroom, which I thought was brilliant (though I know why it's received a lukewarm reaction generally - the reason is probably best left unsaid). The music must rank as one of the classiest scores a piece of episodic tv has received in a very long time - brief though it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm pretty sure that whatever he comes up with will rankle some people simply because they don't like change.

That's because it'll be judged as a Bond score.
  8. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm pretty sure that whatever he comes up with will rankle some people simply because they don't like change.

That's because it'll be judged as a Bond score.

Good point. If Williams passed away and Lucas wanted to make another crappy Star Wars prequel and hired Andrea Morricone, you bet everybody would be ready to judge the effort as a Star Wars effort. Same they did with Kevin Kiner.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kiner's stuff was awful whatever it could be judged against.
  9. Several new reviews:

- Erin Brokovich
    - The Green Mile
    - In the Bedroom
    - Pay it Forward
    - Whispers in the Dark
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. excellent smile
  11. and of course, there are still many to come after that
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. The Green Mile never got its due. I like it, the score and the film, more than Shawshank.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Green Mile never got its due. I like it, the score and the film, more than Shawshank.

I think Green Mile is a beautiful film with a perfect score.