• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    Something's always bothered me about the Green Mile album, and that's the extremely freaky cover, with the Polar Express-ish image of Tom Hanks on the cover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012
    GREEN MILE also contains a track that really took me my surprise -- a pure horror riff like we've never heard from Newman before. I'm talking about "The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix", of course. I love that album.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Green Mile never got its due. I like it, the score and the film, more than Shawshank.

shocked I guess I'd better give THE GREEN MILE another chance. I bought it as a used CD store 7 or 8 years ago and listened to it half a dozen times and dismissed it as boring. I quite like SHAWSHANK on the other hand. Guess I'll blow the dust off TGM and give it another go.
  2. Thor wrote
    GREEN MILE also contains a track that really took me my surprise -- a pure horror riff like we've never heard from Newman before. I'm talking about "The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix", of course. I love that album.

and that's indeed the track I love the most about The Green Mile, such a powerful horror track

as for the film, I indeed love The Green Mile more than Shawshank
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thor wrote

I want Newman to do a straight horror film. I think based off that track, it would be sufficiently scary.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thor wrote

I want Newman to do a straight horror film. I think based off that track, it would be sufficiently scary.

I agree! I was disappointed that he didn't score THE MIST.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    Introduce me to Thomas Newman. Other than American Beauty and the odd quirky percussive track I don't really have much.

What's essential? (And I really like the percussive stuff.)
  4. Shawshank Redemption, Angels in AMerica, Little Women, Road to Perdition, The Green Mile. Just off the top of my head.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Shawshank Redemption, Road to Perdition, Shawshank Redemption, Meet Joe Black, Shawshank Redemption, The Horse Whisperer, Shawshank Redemption, WALL-E, Shawshank Redemption, Little Women, Shawshank Redemption, ...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. Hi Anthony, thematic emotional Thomas Newman is by far my favourite. 'Shawshank Redemption' (The final two tracks blow me away every time), 'Meet Joe Black' ('That next place' is just a stunner of a track) and 'The Horse Whisperer' would be my recommendations to start with. Honourable mentions also to 'Angels in America' and 'Wall-E'.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Shawshank Redemption, Angels in America, Little Women, Road to Perdition, The Green Mile. Just off the top of my head.

These especially.

I'll add WALL-E, The Good German, The Iron Lady, Lemony Snicket, How to Make an American Quilt, The War, Oscar & Lucinda, Red Corner, Pay It Forward, Meet Joe Black, The Horse Whisperer, The Salton Sea, The Help, The Debt, Scent of a Woman, The Player, Fried Green Tomatoes, Up Close & Personal, and Finding Nemo.

And be sure to check out Skyfall once it comes out. I have a feeling it will be mind-blowing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or it'll be incredibly disappointing. Like I've said elsewhere, I really don't know what to expect with a Newman Bond score but one things a fact, I can't wait to hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    ...or it'll be incredibly disappointing. Like I've said elsewhere, I really don't know what to expect with a Newman Bond score but one things a fact, I can't wait to hear it.

Somebody at another board (I think FSM) said it has al ot of electronics. If true, that worries me.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. So did all Bond scores since The Living Daylights.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    So did all Bond scores since The Living Daylights.

Exactly my point. I would scratch all those off a list of "listening pleassure", though GoldenEye isn't as bad as people say it is (though it's not "good" either)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. No-one other than me have love for Lemony Snicket?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Exactly my point. I would scratch all those off a list of "listening pleassure", though GoldenEye isn't as bad as people say it is (though it's not "good" either)

I quite like the GOLDENEYE album as a listen, it IS a crap Bond score though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote

Very true. Though the first time electronics were employed throughout most of the score was On Her Majesty's Secret Service, still IMO the greatest Bond score ever written.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    No-one other than me have love for Lemony Snicket?

I just listed it as a required score several posts ago.
  12. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

So you did! What am I like!? 'Stupid', 'unobservant'...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote

Lemony Snicket is, on the whole, too quirky for me. Stylistically, it's all over the place. That said, there are a few standout tracks. "The Letter That Never Came" is one of his finest compositions, IMO, and a track that even those with a passing interest in Newman's music must have.
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

So you did! What am I like!? 'Stupid', 'unobservant'...

I like a lot of the action music from that score especially. And "Puttanesca" is a highlight.
  15. If one wants to listen to a score that fully encapsulates Newman's style and talent, then Angels in America is the score to visit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Timmer wrote

Somebody at another board (I think FSM) said it has al ot of electronics. If true, that worries me.

Why should that be worrying?

I'm really looking forward to hearing it - and not because I'm confident it'll be good, but rather that I really want to hear what a Newman Bond score sounds like. He's one of the most unlikely choices for the franchise and I find that exciting.
  16. Anthony wrote
    Introduce me to Thomas Newman. Other than American Beauty and the odd quirky percussive track I don't really have much.
    What's essential? (And I really like the percussive stuff.)

I LOVE his gorgeous big orchestral music. He doesn't usually write this way, but when he does I think he does it better than anyone. MEET JOE BLACK is my favorite Newman score by a lot. "That Next Place" is, in my opinion, the most wonderful thing he has composed. We can argue over whether it's too much for the scene it accompanies (and we have), but on its own, this is a smashingly great piece of music. LITTLE WOMEN is another really strong score. I recommend those scores whole-heartedly.

There are some other tracks that would be good to start with. The last two tracks of SHAWSHANK are indeed glorious, and you must have them. “Cinderella Man” from the film of the same title is an excellent track (for an excellent film! I’m surprised it did so poorly in theaters). ANGELS IN AMERICA doesn’t have a lot of thematic consistency, but has a lot of different and interesting things going on. Definitely check out “The Great Work Begins” from that score, which is another of Newman’s very best compositions. I’ve already mentioned “The Letter that Never Came” (from LEMONY SNICKET) in a previous post, but it’s worth repeating. There are a number of nice tracks from HORSE WHISPERER (“Double Divide,” “Montana,” “The Rhythm of the Horse,” “Grace,” “the Vast Continent,” and “End Title” are all really solid tracks). THE HELP has some really nice music. My favorite tracks are “Amen,” and “Ain’t You Tired (End Title).”

Well, that’s a good place to start. There are a lot more to get, but those are my favorite things. If those don’t win you over to Newman’s more melodic side then I don’t know what will.

Chris
  17. Goodness gracious, how could I forget? You must listen to this suite on YouTube. It's a compilation of pieces from a film Newman did in the early 90s called Men Don't Leave. The last piece is especially gorgeous.

For some ungodly reason, this movie never got a proper soundtrack release. Nor did Less Than Zero for that matter. Or Phenomenon...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012
    There's a new featurette up on the opening sequence of SKYFALL, which features music that starts out as something that could've been composed by Thomas Newman, and then gets really David Arnold-ey. I didn't specifically recognise that as music of one of the previous films though. So could this be our first glimpse at Newman's 007-score?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35126

If that's the case, he is certainly triggering Arnold a lot... So I hope it ain't new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    The reason it sounds like Arnold is because it is Arnold.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't know what that first piece was - it certainly sounded like it could be Thomas Newman - but then it turned into Station Break from TND then Going Down/The Bunker from TWINE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah, good! For a moment there I feared Newman had to emulate Arnold, and that the orchestrations were done by Dodd!