• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. LSH wrote
    Opening theme from HBO's new drama series The Newsrooom, by Thomas Newman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlf-xX2qbQ

Sounds a bit reverential as well as somehow patriotic (without being over-the-top). Seems at odds with the (brief) clips I have seem of the show. Maybe the trailer is projecting a certain feeling for the show (confrontation, deadlines, conflict, etc) that's not the main atmospherics of the show.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. THE WEST WING title music was always pretty patriotic too (Sorkin's last big show).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Good to know he's still writing for TV. Six Feet Under is the greatest TV theme written to this day.
  4. LSH wrote

Shoot. I may actually have to watch the show now.
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    THE WEST WING title music was always pretty patriotic too (Sorkin's last big show).

I never watched The West Wing but I assume that the show was heavily linked with the Administration? So I can see where the patriotism in the music would come from.

But with The Newsroom, if there is a patriotic feel to the music, I am interested to hear where the patriotism of the music fits in with the subject matter of the show. Is it trying to have the news media being seen as the independent voice of the country rather than being a tool for the proliferation of political opinions to the populous? Or am I just trying to staple some hidden meaning myself to what constitutes my own very limited experience of the music and the subject matter of The Newsroom?

(This is about as politically slanted as I am likely to get. It's late so, to bed I go.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. I have to say, it looks like premium channels like HBO and Showtime are the only stations that actually value the opening credits theme. Many of the basic networks like ABC and FOX don't even bother with them anymore, which is a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    Southall wrote

Which means? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited
    @ Signs: Overblown? Hell, no. Consider what´s really going on there, and you realise that - for those two brothers - this is the most epic, important, and mindblowing moment of their entire life. I hadn´t felt that excited and tense during a movie´s showdown in years when I watched this the first time, and I had known the score beforehand, too.

@ The Newsroom: Watch it. You won´t regret it.
  7. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ Signs: Overblown? Hell, no. Consider what´s really going on there, and you realise that - for those two brothers - this is the most epic, important, and mindblowing moment of their entire life. I hadn´t felt that excited and tense during a movie´s showdown in years when I watched this the first time, and I had known the score beforehand, too.

@ The Newsroom: Watch it. You won´t regret it.

I was equally excited about Signs finale, but I believe the music is overblown if you consider the source, same for instance of the showdown at the end of Lady in the Water. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, on the contrary. But if you listen to the music for finales today, you don't hear that overblown quality anymore. And that's what I was saying, that this kind of quality music not only enhances the movie, but the music's experience as well
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Just in case there was a misunderstanding here, noone in this thread has had a problem with the finale music of SIGNS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I completely understand. I still don´t think it´s overblown. Yes, it seems to be a rather small scene, given how showdowns in big blockbusters look. But the deeper meaning behind the scene, the devine revelation that Mel´s character is having here, calls for this kind of music. Same thing with Lady in the Water. Yeah, it´s a small movie with ridiculous characters, but if you insert yourself into the setting, then you realise how big the thing is that is just happening. Both scores fit - IMHO - exactly what´s happening there. If you think or feel it´s overblown, then only because you did not connect to the characters and to what is happening with them / for them / through them. It´s not visual greatness what´s happening, it is greatness within the characters´s mind, body, and soul.

I think this is one of the reasons why so many people dislike MNS´s later movies. You really have to connect with the characters to feel the immensity of what is happening to them. I don´t say that´s the audience´s fault. It might well be MNS´s directorial style (if not skill). Personally, I connected to all of them, even The Happening, quite well and therefore was very satisfied by all of them.

It´s good to know, at least, that JNH´s music is always appreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I truly think Newton Howard's scores for Shyamalan, especially VILLAGE and SIGNS are some of the best examples modern film music has to showcase,
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Why is everybody talking about Signs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    LSH wrote

Sounds a bit reverential as well as somehow patriotic (without being over-the-top). Seems at odds with the (brief) clips I have seem of the show. Maybe the trailer is projecting a certain feeling for the show (confrontation, deadlines, conflict, etc) that's not the main atmospherics of the show.

Thomas' work for the pilot was typically good, if a bit predictable. A bit forgetable? but not unenjoyable.
  9. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I completely understand. I still don´t think it´s overblown. Yes, it seems to be a rather small scene, given how showdowns in big blockbusters look. But the deeper meaning behind the scene, the devine revelation that Mel´s character is having here, calls for this kind of music. Same thing with Lady in the Water. Yeah, it´s a small movie with ridiculous characters, but if you insert yourself into the setting, then you realise how big the thing is that is just happening. Both scores fit - IMHO - exactly what´s happening there. If you think or feel it´s overblown, then only because you did not connect to the characters and to what is happening with them / for them / through them. It´s not visual greatness what´s happening, it is greatness within the characters´s mind, body, and soul.

I think this is one of the reasons why so many people dislike MNS´s later movies. You really have to connect with the characters to feel the immensity of what is happening to them. I don´t say that´s the audience´s fault. It might well be MNS´s directorial style (if not skill). Personally, I connected to all of them, even The Happening, quite well and therefore was very satisfied by all of them.

It´s good to know, at least, that JNH´s music is always appreciated.

just so you know, I do not think it's overblown due to the lack of feeling for the characters, because I adore these movies and the characters. YES, even Lady in the Water.

I'm just saying the way you put it, for such a small scene (in comparison with large blockbusters), you don't expect epic music like that. But I applaud the use of such music, making the movie much more memorable than it might / could have been

so, I'm just saying that you don't expect it at all, and considering the source most scores of today would have handled it different.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Six Feet Under is the greatest TV theme written to this day.

shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

shocked

I'm not sure what Kevin means by 'to this day'? It IS a very good theme though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote

10. Southall wrote
    LSH wrote

Quotes for _______.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. I concur

"considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    THE WEST WING title music was always pretty patriotic too (Sorkin's last big show).

I never watched The West Wing but I assume that the show was heavily linked with the Administration? So I can see where the patriotism in the music would come from.

But with The Newsroom, if there is a patriotic feel to the music, I am interested to hear where the patriotism of the music fits in with the subject matter of the show. Is it trying to have the news media being seen as the independent voice of the country rather than being a tool for the proliferation of political opinions to the populous? Or am I just trying to staple some hidden meaning myself to what constitutes my own very limited experience of the music and the subject matter of The Newsroom?

(This is about as politically slanted as I am likely to get. It's late so, to bed I go.)

I guess The Newsroom is an attempt to transplant the atmosphere of The West Wing into a different environment. The short-lived Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip did the same, and I liked it, but I could see why others wouldn't (it's easy to get away with all the pontificating in West Wing because of who the characters are - less easy to buy into the people in a tv comedy skit show doing the same). A newsroom seems a reasonable place to do the same.

The West Wing is possibly my favourite tv show, so I'm very excited by the Newsroom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

shocked

I'm not sure what Kevin means by 'to this day'? It IS a very good theme though.

It's Ok.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. LSH wrote

Beats me.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I completely understand. I still don´t think it´s overblown.

Soapbox moments come rarely, but I'm not sure anyone else does either.
  13. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    just so you know, I do not think it's overblown due to the lack of feeling for the characters, because I adore these movies and the characters. YES, even Lady in the Water.

I'm just saying the way you put it, for such a small scene (in comparison with large blockbusters), you don't expect epic music like that. But I applaud the use of such music, making the movie much more memorable than it might / could have been

so, I'm just saying that you don't expect it at all, and considering the source most scores of today would have handled it different.

Sounds fine by me. beer

Back to Mr. Newman. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Good to know he's still writing for TV. Six Feet Under is the greatest TV theme written to this day.

I don't think it's the greatest TV theme written to this day (hello Mission: Impossible - is that Peter Gunn I can see?)

However, I do think it's extremely good. It just "gets" the show, in a minute and a half or however long it lasts.
  14. Yes, his ability to get to the heart of a show and express so much about it in so little time demonstrates his genius. I haven't seen The Newsroom, but I have no doubt he does the same with that show also.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Good to know he's still writing for TV. Six Feet Under is the greatest TV theme written to this day.

I don't think it's the greatest TV theme written to this day (hello Mission: Impossible - is that Peter Gunn I can see?)

However, I do think it's extremely good. It just "gets" the show, in a minute and a half or however long it lasts.

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what he means by 'to this day', if he means the greatest ever ( obviously debatable ) then I'd say he hasn't heard very many wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    Of modern TV themes I prefer Rolfe Kent's DEXTER over Newman's SIX FEET UNDER.

( both are very good themes )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yes, his ability to get to the heart of a show and express so much about it in so little time demonstrates his genius. I haven't seen The Newsroom, but I have no doubt he does the same with that show also.

There are 100's of examples by various composers who show/has shown just as great an ability to get to the heart of a show in a short amount of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    The opening to the pilot created a lot of buzz; enough for me to check it out on Youtube. It certainly is a characteristically Aaron Sorkin moment.