• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Of modern TV themes I prefer Rolfe Kent's DEXTER over Newman's SIX FEET UNDER.

( both are very good themes )

I like that theme too.

And yes, by "to this day", I meant "of all time."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

dizzy

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Yes, his ability to get to the heart of a show and express so much about it in so little time demonstrates his genius.

Throwing around the genius word again, are we? wink Many composers can and have done this and have done better, IMO. Hockey Night In Canada, The Waltons, Barnaby Jones, Battlestar Galactica, The Simpsons, The A-Team, Knight Rider, Mission: Impossible, Star Trek: Voyager, Wizards and Warriors, Amazing Stories, The Twilight Zone, etc. Six Feet Under is good... but the greatest ever? Nah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. My vote goes to Star Trek: Voyager! I used to turn that on, watch the opening credits, and then turn it off. smile
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    just so you know, I do not think it's overblown due to the lack of feeling for the characters, because I adore these movies and the characters. YES, even Lady in the Water.

I'm just saying the way you put it, for such a small scene (in comparison with large blockbusters), you don't expect epic music like that. But I applaud the use of such music, making the movie much more memorable than it might / could have been

so, I'm just saying that you don't expect it at all, and considering the source most scores of today would have handled it different.

Sounds fine by me. beer

Back to Mr. Newman. biggrin

finally we agree beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    christopher wrote
    My vote goes to Star Trek: Voyager! I used to turn that on, watch the opening credits, and then turn it off. smile

biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    My vote goes to Star Trek: Voyager! I used to turn that on, watch the opening credits, and then turn it off. smile

biggrin beer

If only I had done the same for seven years. Post partum TNG depression -- needed Trek, unfortunately no spin-off came close.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Of modern TV themes I prefer Rolfe Kent's DEXTER over Newman's SIX FEET UNDER.

( both are very good themes )

I like that theme too.

Lost. By far. The most thematically and melodically diverse and rich tv show in years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Main themes, Demetris, main themes. You remember those, right? Stuff like this and this and this and this.

EDIT - Just rewatched The A-Team intro. Man, 80's TV was so much fun! Good guys win, bad guys get smashed! Lots of killer stunts shot in slow motion. Nothing like it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Demetris wrote
    Lost. By far. The most thematically and melodically diverse and rich tv show in years.

For me, that would be Battlestar Galactica.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Demetris wrote

For me, that would be Battlestar Galactica.

It's on the same league smile

Erik Woods wrote
    Main themes, Demetris, main themes. You remember those, right? Stuff like this and this and this and this.

EDIT - Just rewatched The A-Team intro. Man, 80's TV was so much fun! Good guys win, bad guys get smashed! Lots of killer stunts shot in slow motion. Nothing like it!

-Erik-

Yeap, those are old-time, 4 or 8-metre-based themes built on the classical morphology of musical themes and motifs. Lost and Battlestar galactica have equal themes in function, but of modern, more loose-on-form, more free and kinda minimalistic modern themes. They are different in nature of composition but that doesn't make their scoring power or functions any weaker smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

I do hope that last one is there as a joke. Apart from that, thanks for those! Here are some more:

This and this and this and this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Yeap, those are old-time, 4 or 8-metre-based themes built on the classical morphology of musical themes and motifs. Lost and Battlestar galactica have equal themes in function, but of modern, more loose-on-form, more free and kinda minimalistic modern themes. They are different in nature of composition but that doesn't make their scoring power or functions any weaker smile

You have heard the main theme from Lost, right?!
  6. I can't name a new TV series in the last, oh ... ten or so years, that's anywhere near "Dynasty", "Dallas", "Knight Rider", "The Prisoner", or more modern themes I loved, like "Star Trek: Voyager", "MillenniuM", "Time Trax".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought Elfman's Desperate Housewives theme was great.

Whatever happened to Mike Post?
  7. I'm told, by people in the know, he plays a lot of golf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So does Lee Westwood but let's face it, Westwood's never written a tv theme as good as LA Law.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

You still don't get it, D. We are talking about main themes written for main title sequences not the entire score(s) written for the series. But if you truly think Abrams 17 second sound effect is better than what I posted above fine. BTW, I don't care what style my examples were written in, what time signature they were written, what influences them... a good theme is a good theme PERIOD!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I do hope that last one is there as a joke. Apart from that, thanks for those!

No, it's not a joke. Djawadi's theme for GAME OF THRONES is a fantastic piece of music featuring a wonderful melody which is a perfect match to the visuals on screen. It was my second favourite track of 2011 behind the end credits to HAWK by Stuart Hancock.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You are mad. I thought it was you that want more melody in their film music. I can't think of a more memorable melody written in 2011.

-Erik-
  8. Melody is good. But give me something more than what is truly just another Remote Control power anthem. (To say it's been orchestrated feels like an insult to a profession. Honestly, it feels like a student composer wrote it.)

Someone should throw Poledouris's 'Anvil of Crom' or 'Flesh and Blood' over that main title sequence just to see what something really cinematic would do. As always, people say TV just isn't meant to get music that good, but apart from the odd made-up scene and awkward sexposition, Djawadi really is the only reminder that that show is just a TV series.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. I wonder why Newman has never thought to score an entire series? Judging from Angels in America, he would dominate that medium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Melody is good. But give me something more than what is truly just another Remote Control power anthem. (To say it's been orchestrated feels like an insult to a profession. Honestly, it feels like a student composer wrote it.)

Someone should throw Poledouris's 'Anvil of Crom' or 'Flesh and Blood' over that main title sequence just to see what something really cinematic would do. As always, people say TV just isn't meant to get music that good, but apart from the odd made-up scene and awkward sexposition, Djawadi really is the only reminder that that show is just a TV series.

No! Conan and Flesh and Blood doesn't fit Game of Thrones. It's not that kind of show. While Djawadi's theme isn't ground breaking in terms of compositional quality... especially compared to the likes of Poledouris... it's still works, it fits the show like a tee and carries an instantly memorable, long lined melody... the likes of we rarely hear of these days.

And the music is cinematic. It helps give us lift as we fly over the map of Westeros.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I wonder why Newman has never thought to score an entire series? Judging from Angels in America, he would dominate that medium.

Angels in America was a mini-series... hence a feature film. Composing for an entire series of episodic TV is quite demanding and the turn around is insane.

-Erik-
  10. It's very similar to Anvil of Crom actually. A lot of pounding and thunder through a string melody pokes its head. Just that there's a world of difference in the skill set of the composers involved. But of course those others aren't going to sync up to the map -- they weren't written for it. (Crom doesn't even sync up to the start of Conan much.) It's more just an observation that the only thing that makes Djawadi a mountain is the flatness of the surrounding terrain.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    You are mad. I thought it was you that want more melody in their film music. I can't think of a more memorable melody written in 2011.

-Erik-

Again I'm surprised! I do want more melody, but not ones that sound like that. And the arrangement is so, so banal. I hate it! There's just so little sense of drama. But to each his own.
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    Melody is good. But give me something more than what is truly just another Remote Control power anthem. (To say it's been orchestrated feels like an insult to a profession. Honestly, it feels like a student composer wrote it.)

Wow! I just synched up that "Conan" cue to it, and its amazing how well it fits, hits moments. And when the name "Game of Thrones" comes on screen, the "Anvil of Crom" cues swells.

Fantastic. It works perfectly for like 1:30; after that a little creative editing would be needed to have the cue end with the show's credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Djawadi does so really interesting stuff with the theme and the rhythms in the score proper. The use of the main theme rhythms for the [spoiler]zombie warriors in season 2 is especially effective. [/spoiler] "Three Blasts" is the cue!

-Erik-
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I wonder why Newman has never thought to score an entire series? Judging from Angels in America, he would dominate that medium.

Angels in America was a mini-series... hence a feature film. Composing for an entire series of episodic TV is quite demanding and the turn around is insane.

-Erik-

I'm sure it wouldn't be anything Newman can't handle.

BTW, regarding your signature, I like John Williams, but not THAT much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Poleoduris' Conan is brilliant score and no one in their right mind would ever try to compare Poledouris' masterpiece with the likes of Djawadi's Game of Thrones but having done what Justin just did (matching Conan to the Game of Thrones title sequence) I'm sorry to say that Poeldouris' music DOESN'T WORK. What's missing from "Anvil of Crom" is the mystical, magical elements that is found in Djawadi's theme. Game of Thrones is a fantasy show and unfortunately "Anvil of Crom" doesn't have those elements.

Now, what about Silvestri's "End Credits Film Version" from The Mummy Returns?

-Erik-