• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009
    Like I'm going to drink enough chateau migraine to use up maybe 35 euros of the price tag. Na-aah!
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  1. Bregt wrote
    Yes. But it includes reception with composers et al. But I'm not sure that is the right direction for attracting fans...

but the question is, will we be able to talk to the composers much?
    they could easily start by saying, you'll have to leave them alone now
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    Rian wrote
    Woot? 75???!! Have they gone mad? shocked

75 what? Euros? What does that include?

Franz, I expect to see you there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Rian wrote
    Woot? 75???!! Have they gone mad? shocked

75 what? Euros? What does that include?

Yes. And reception with composers.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited
    Well, I myself am not too eager to disturb the composers during their conversations; I've always found this a bit awkward. By the way, do any of you Belgian website guys actually have any pull on this? Or is it only that filmmuziek.be fellow? Would the organizers perhaps be persuaded into organizing a signing session à la Ubeda or Darkdel or so on the day of the WSA? I'm sure that would make many fans happy... (and in this way they could also undisturbedly go on organizing fancy filmmusic concerts for the bourgeoisie) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

I have hinted at making it more accessible, but only the filmmuziek.be guy is god currently (logic, as he hosts all their websites), and I'm not sure if he is into it really. He certainly isn't the fan I am, trying to get at least a word with a composer. I have not much to say, I'm just a free PR guy for the international websites, trying to at least get some people together for a good day, ending it wit the event (which in any case, is always terrific and well organised btw). Thouhg, I have received free concert tickets before (not this year though), and I support their initiatives. They were the first to put film music in such spotlights, over 25 years now already!

But they seem to make the WSA event less accessible year after year, not their other concerts though. The press conference on WSA day is a nice thing, and there's a signing session afterwards, but they still tend to protect the composers too much (and there isn't much time). It's not that the composers have to go through this every day. I don't understand this almost hostile reaction towards (agreed, sometimes 'needy') fans but there's more real interest then just the signature. Having that talk with David Arnold last year was so cool, and then the organisation is there again, claiming we disturb him, and that we should go away, while he chose to talk.

I think this may be part of the Film festival though, since the guest actors/actresses are more protected. The 75EUR (even if that includes reception with composers) won't help either. I have good memories of the first editions, where there wasn't this protection, and exclusiveness of it all. It's also a pity that it costs them a lot of money, having not a bigger concert hall to organise the events, needing them to have a lot more sponsors, with the inevitable accreditations for their people (who mostly just see it as an evening out, and have sometimes no remote idea of who the composers are).

It feels like they have an other idea. Ubeda got it right in certain parts, Ghent in other areas. I still wouldn't want to miss any of the concerts, they are mostly unique and surprising, and the quality is excellent (the Yared concert comes to mind). But yeah, some things should be reconsidered.

What do you think they should do (we have the signing sessions) or what a solution could be for the excessive sponsoring they need?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thanks, Bregt, for the insights. Over the years I've become rather sceptical of the organization, among other things for the reasons you stated, though, as you, I keep coming back because the concert programmes are - overall, then - pretty good (apart from the sometimes dubious discoveries of the year that have wasted some precious concert time).
    To briefly answer your question (not much time right now):
    - have a more elaborate signing session, with the attending composers, too (not just the composers of the press conference); in other words, some kind of fan event. The main WSA event completely misses its target audience. (The sponsors aren't really interested, and the 'fans' or cinephiles get the feeling they're annoying flies on the wall.) They could set up something during the saturday to make the event more accessible; I don't mind paying 75 euros for an event, as long as it is worth it (if it wasn't for Desplat this year...). Also, don't rush the composers out of there after the concert, and let everyone have a drink in the same room, during the break as well as afterwards (last year was definitely an improvement; still, I couldn't get myself to playing the fanboy and disturbing James Newton Howard or David Arnold anyway. Not that this is a criticism on you guys, you were great smile I, too, do get the feeling the composers enjoy talking to their listeners for once.)
    - The concert itself: they might reduce the talking and awarding. Last year especially was ridiculous. Also, why don't they get back Tommy Pearson (and Roel van Bambost) and do away with, well, I won't name anyone smile Oh, and they should stop awarding only the people who actually turn up smile (Though this has improved as well lately.)
    - probably my number one for a few years now: turn off that damn ventilator! They can leave it on for the awards section, of course, but once the two main music parts start, please God, turn it off. I've been in all parts of the hall, and it has seriously annoyed me each time.

So that I don't sound too negative, I just wanted to say there have been some really great moments and events in the past. Comes to mind: the David Arnold seminar, the two rehearsals of the concert I've been to (why don't they let us attend this sort of thing again), the Goldsmith and Preisner concerts, that (first?) press conference where the fans got a Varèse promo, etc. Oh, and the greatest concert moment: the free reception with all kinds of delightful free food and drinks at the (first?) WSA edition - I think it was the Yared concert (not the recent one). They've never done that stuff again unfortunately - but hey, that was probably much too expensive for them (at least, it tasted expensively smile). Still, that more than made up for all the technical fall-outs during the concert smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    fommes wrote
    Still, that more than made up for all the technical fall-outs during the concert smile

Although i have to state that i've never been to the WSA concerts yet and my experience is only limited to SONCINEMAD (attended live and "lived" the entire event as a part of the organizing committee) and limited experience with the UBEDA concerts FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN AND HEARD THROUGH AUDIO-VISUAL means, not in person on location as i didn't attend either, but one thing's for sure, for me:

If the concert isn't technically good, i.e. good acoustics, great performance, musical coherence and all, the whole thing isn't worth it for me; again, generally talking.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    fommes wrote
    Still, that more than made up for all the technical fall-outs during the concert smile

Although i have to state that i've never been to the WSA concerts yet and my experience is only limited to SONCINEMAD (attended live and "lived" the entire event as a part of the organizing committee) and limited experience with the UBEDA concerts FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN AND HEARD THROUGH AUDIO-VISUAL means, not in person on location as i didn't attend either, but one thing's for sure, for me:

If the concert isn't technically good, i.e. good acoustics, great performance, musical coherence and all, the whole thing isn't worth it for me; again, generally talking.

it could be better, but it good be much much worse as well
    I'm going because occasionally, you get in contact with very good NEW music and because ...

it gives you the chance to get a picture with the famous composers of today

And if that isn't a reason to join us Demitris, think of the possibilities to see Bregt drink Looza ACE wink
    Now I expect you here this october beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I SO want to join and i agree with your points, new music is always to be found in such events, for me - for instance, soncinemad was where i discovered Javier Navarette and Carles Cases' music for the first time as well as expanded more on my then poor knowledge of Roque Banos's brillant music. But most importantly i had a great time with fellow fans! When are the dates for this year's wsa events?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    When are the dates for this year's wsa events?

14 October: Concert at the Handelsbeurs, names to be announced later
    15 October: Shigeru Umebayashi in Concert, at the Vooruit Ghent
    17 October: World Soundtrack Awards, 9th Edition

you can stay at my place if you want to wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the offer! beer that's a difficult time of the year though, for everyone who's working! I'll have to get back to Greece at the studio on the beginning of September and check out the working schedules as well as the dates of my master degree's lessons first before i can start making any kind of plans, i am afraid. Oh and check the wallet too! angry
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks for the offer! beer that's a difficult time of the year though, for everyone who's working! I'll have to get back to Greece at the studio on the beginning of September and check out the working schedules as well as the dates of my master degree's lessons first before i can start making any kind of plans, i am afraid. Oh and check the wallet too! angry

I understand bud, it is not like you have to travel a couple of km eh sad
    anyway, always welcome in the sunny side of Gent, if not we'll come to Greece one time beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    What's the nearest airport to the festival's location?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Brussels, our international airport. Also Charleroi (which Ryanair flies on, so you know what you can expect) is close. Brussels Airport has an easy train connection to Ghent (about 40minutes). smile

There's also an unconfirmed concert with Traffic Quintet (October 14th), and a seminary with Shigeru (I had hoped for Desplat though!).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Bregt! And is there a cheap hotel nearby which can get me on foot to the festival's locations?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Euhm. There are hostels, but hotels are rather expensive (starting from 40EUR a night).:
    http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php … ry.Belgium

This one is quite close:
    http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Ge … 005.en.htm

But in what a beautiful city you are! If I'd lived in Ghent, you obviously would be a welcome guest and have a stay at my place, but that's hopefully something for next year. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks! Will check em out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    When are the dates for this year's wsa events?

14 October: Concert at the Handelsbeurs, names to be announced later
    15 October: Shigeru Umebayashi in Concert, at the Vooruit Ghent
    17 October: World Soundtrack Awards, 9th Edition

you can stay at my place if you want to wink

Is the Desplat concert in the 17th?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, as part of the WSA. Traffic Quintet (which Desplat used for that compilation of French New Wave cinema: Nouvelles Vagues) is the 14th.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, isn't Desplat performing with a regular orchestra then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No no, those are two different things.

There's the Desplat concert, on WSA, the 17th. He will conduct the Brussels Philharmonic.

Then there's an other concert, much more scaled down, with Traffic Quintet. I suppose Desplat might be present, and perhaps some of his music might be played, but it's separate from his own concert on the 17th.
    Kazoo
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks! Will check em out.

you can get a cheap place too, it's called My PLACE wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, sweet.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, sweet.

I've got place for a couple of people, so if anyone wants to join, be my guest wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote

There's the Desplat concert, on WSA, the 17th. He will conduct the National Orchestra of Belgium.

Then there's an other concert, much more scaled down, with Traffic Quintet. I suppose Desplat might be present, and perhaps some of his music might be played, but it's separate from his own concert on the 17th.

Sorry if you've already answered this question, but is it a full concert by Desplat on the 17th? I might well come over for this, but obviously would be disappointed if it's only half an hour by him and then some other clowns are doing the rest of the concert.
  7. Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote

There's the Desplat concert, on WSA, the 17th. He will conduct the National Orchestra of Belgium.

Sorry if you've already answered this question, but is it a full concert by Desplat on the 17th? I might well come over for this, but obviously would be disappointed if it's only half an hour by him and then some other clowns are doing the rest of the concert.

don't know about the time frame, I guess the whole second part will be for Desplat (could be 30 minutes, could be an hour as well)

but it is always in parts, Desplat will be the final one
    Anyway, come and join us, even for an hour, you can have a full day of fun with your fellow Belgian (and Greek) MT'ers
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Probably more to an hour and more (as the second part of the WSA usually lasts for more than an hour). I'll ask the organisation on what time frame they have calculated this.

You have to survive the first half though, which are the awards, the Discovery of the year concert, the Lifetime Achievement Award and the break in which fans and gather around the composers for an autograph. wink

But how awesome would it be if you and Demetris attended!
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    Probably more to an hour and more (as the second part of the WSA usually lasts for more than an hour). I'll ask the organisation on what time frame they have calculated this.

You have to survive the first half though, which are the awards, the Discovery of the year concert, the Lifetime Achievement Award and the break in which fans and gather around the composers for an autograph. wink

yes, indeed, it could be awesome, and you don't have to worry about spending money on hotels, once again I've got a bunk that's perfect for sleeping in, you'll just have to be okay to sleep next to each other

but I'll guess you'll don't have to worry anymore, after all James married now right wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregt wrote

yes, indeed, it could be awesome, and you don't have to worry about spending money on hotels, once again I've got a bunk that's perfect for sleeping in, you'll just have to be okay to sleep next to each other

but I'll guess you'll don't have to worry anymore, after all James married now right wink

So long as we don't have to share a shower!

I'll see if I can get the time off work...