• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    As I said Erik I agree with you and it would be nice to see world competition for all of the major sports but they need to work out the time frame. Perhaps shortening the seasons would be the answer?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    Well, there are world championships for hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball and even American football.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012
    Giants take game one 8-3 against the Tigers
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2012
    With the Giants ahead 3-0 Detroit must now win 4 straight.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012 edited
    Watching Snooker. John Higgins got knocked out despite a 147. Belgian wonderkid Luca Brecel progresses to the quarter final, I'm not certain but if he wins the tournament he'll become the youngest ever beating Ronnie O'Sullivan's record.

You watching at all Francis?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Since when are the Belgians good at snooker?? I remember the days when all you had were players from the home nations, a couple of rogue Canadians, the Francisco brothers, and Tony Drago!
  2. Tony Drago was Malta, wasn't he?

Who was the guy in the white suit?....Kirk Stevens?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tony Drago was Malta, wasn't he?

Yep. Super-fast player, too.

FalkirkBairn wrote

It was the 80, *everyone* wore a white suit at some point. Kirk Stevens certainly did, but I have vivid memories of Tony Knowles and Tony Meo doing similar things. And then there was Joe Johnson with his brown suit and red shoes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012
    explain the rules of this game. I've got no clue.
    Tom
  4. It's like pool, but with more balls.
  5. Jon Broxton wrote
    Since when are the Belgians good at snooker?? I remember the days when all you had were players from the home nations, a couple of rogue Canadians, the Francisco brothers, and Tony Drago!

this kid, the young Brecel is all the hype in Belgium nowadays. Even more considering the bond's refusing to fund the costs it takes to perform at these natinal championships. For now the father is paying everything himself

and since when? Since now!
    It's not a popular sport here, but it doesn't mean there's no talent here, there's simply no financial room for funding these small sports
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Since when are the Belgians good at snooker?? I remember the days when all you had were players from the home nations, a couple of rogue Canadians, the Francisco brothers, and Tony Drago!

biggrin

I also remember when the only 'french' snooker player was Alain Robideux.....a Canandian. And the only Asian was James Wattana from Thailand, the Chinese are filling the ranks now with some exceptional talent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    It's like pool, but with more balls.

...and a much larger table, a far harder game to play than pool.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Kirk Stevens was known for his white suit.

Tony Drago was exceptionally fast, although Ronnie O'Sullivan holds the ( possibly never to be beaten ) record for the fastest 147 in a dazzling 5 minutes and 20 seconds it is Drago who holds the record for the fastest Century at 3 minutes 31 seconds.
  6. I find that you don't really get a sense of just how big a snooker table is from seeing it on TV.

I have played on a full sized table only the once. Youth club-sized tables more my scale!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Kirk Stevens was known for his white suit.

Tony Drago was exceptionally fast, although Ronnie O'Sullivan holds the ( possibly never to be beaten ) record for the fastest 147 in a dazzling 5 minutes and 20 seconds it is Drago who holds the record for the fastest Century at 3 minutes 31 seconds.

DRAAAAAGO! For real, is that his name?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeap! Ivan's brother didntcha know? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Timmer wrote
    Watching Snooker. John Higgins got knocked out despite a 147. Belgian wonderkid Luca Brecel progresses to the quarter final, I'm not certain but if he wins the tournament he'll become the youngest ever beating Ronnie O'Sullivan's record.

You watching at all Francis?

Didn't notice this thread till now wink

Yes, I've been watching this week! So sad to see Brecel miss the pink twice to clinch the frame and match... would have been so amazing for him to have gone to the semi finals at age 17. But he made Murphy sweat it out those last two frames and I didn't expect this suspenseful a quarter final! The tournament is getting better and better as the matches progress.

P.S. I went to see the pro's play snooker for the first time this year in Antwerp and it gives you a totally different perspective when watching the coverage now. I do prefer watching at home though, as you get a better overview of the shot possibilities and scores. But I intend to go to London to see the world championship one day punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    francis wrote
    But I intend to go to London to see the world championship one day punk

I wouldn't do that - because they are held in my home town, Sheffield! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Jon Broxton wrote
    francis wrote
    But I intend to go to London to see the world championship one day punk

I wouldn't do that - because they are held in my home town, Sheffield! wink

Just looked at map, had no idea Sheffield was that far into England, I always thought it was closer to London for some reason. slant But I will gladly make the trip that far wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    I used to love the World Championship when I was a kid when the snooker circus would come to town. It was like Sheffield was the centre of the English sporting world for fortnight, with all the BBC Sport technical vans and all the reporters.

I have an autograph book somewhere with scrawls from all the great old 80s players - Steve Davis, Alex Higgins, Ray Reardon, Terry Griffiths, Doug Mountjoy, Eddie Charlton, Cliff Thorburn, Tony Knowles - and some less well known ones, like Mike Hallett, Dean Reynolds, Steve James, Dene O'Kane. I even got David Vine (the old BBC presenter) and referee Len "Ballcrusher" Ganley one year. I used to stand in a crowd by the stage door at the back of the Crucible on a Saturday morning and wait for them to come out!

And you'd see the players all over town. I once stood behind John Virgo in a sandwich shop on Chapel Walk, just down from the Crucible, and had a fairly long conversation with a Canadian player called Jim Wych in Marks & Spencers!

Those were the days smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis

And you'd see the players all over town. I once stood behind John Virgo in a sandwich shop on Chapel Walk, just down from the Crucible, and had a fairly long conversation with a Canadian player called Jim Wych in Marks & Spencers!

I absolutely love the older players now BBC commentators; Virgo, Parrott, Taylor, ... Good to see Hendry and Doherty join that team, been a fan of both players. There's a great atmosphere surrounding the british tournaments especially, as it seems players don't like the amount of new ranking tournaments abroad, probably why O'Sullivan dropped out. I usually only watch the bigger ones because you know the best of the best are there to compete.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    Great story there Jon and I recognise every name that you mentioned.

I once went to the re-opening of a refurbished pub ( a huge place with 12 pool tables ), they got Jimmy White and a 17 year old Ronnie O'Sullivan to help promote it, all the punters put their names on pieces of paper into a hat for a random draw to see who would get to play them, unfortunately my name didn't get pulled out but I did get a chance later to offer Ronnie a game with the loser buying the winner a drink ( in his case it would have to have been a soft drink ), he agreed until some PR bloke came over and said it wasn't happening slant , Ronnie promised 'next time' but I doubt that chance will ever happen now. Both players were good sports and stayed over an hour later than the alloted time they were supposed to be there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012 edited
    I used to avidly watch the World Championships when it used to be on. It would always be on around the same time I should have been studying for exams and I would watch hours of snooker rather than do any studying.

In those days, wasn't these Championships really the only snooker there was on the TV (other than things like Pot Black)?

For some unknown reason I was always keen to follow the progress of Eddie Charlton! (Watching every time Ray Reardon was on is a given, of course!)

And now all these years later I am using talking about snooker as a diversion from actually doing some work! shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    Got the opportunity to watch the Minnesota Gopher hockey team defeat 19th ranked Colorado College 4-2 last night. I fear it is as close to the NHL as I'll see this year. One of the Colorado players was checked hard into the glass and it shattered into a thousand pieces. I was impressed as to how quickly they were able to replace it (10-15 minutes)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012
    So Timmer, who will it be? My money is on Murphy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012
    This is a really tough call???

I think the fact that Murphy has won it before lessons the pressure on him a bit so I'd say Murphy has the edge. A Selby win won't surprise me though, the guy will fight to the bitter end and has shown many times just what steel he has for a fight back.

Whoever wins I really hope it turns into a final frame decider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited

Whoever wins I really hope it turns into a final frame decider.

Yes, I have a feeling it's going to get late. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012
    Well it's over, despite Murphy's breakdown in the final session, still a decent finale! What a miss on the blue slant I'm glad I can go to bed hehe.