• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    gay?

More.....strange!?

Watch the film, it's good.

Is it stranger than The Talented Mr. Ripley?

Mind you that is an excellent gay movie.

I didn't enjoy that aspect of the film, but what I hated most was how the trailer made it out to be something completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nejtJgXcDo

By the way, I love the use of Dante's Peak in it. One of my favorite parts of the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    omaha wrote
    I was in a WWII mood the past week so I've watched:
    Force 10 from Navarone- feels much like where eagles dare
    The Desert Fox- I love James Mason, and in this film he plays one of my favs from history
    Enemy At the Gates- Ed Harris is excellent
    Downfall- very well made, emotionally devastating to watch though

Have you ever seen ICE COLD IN ALEX? One of my all time favourite WWII set films.

p.s. I believe it had a different title in the US?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    omaha wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    gay?

More.....strange!?

Watch the film, it's good.

Is it stranger than The Talented Mr. Ripley?

Mind you that is an excellent gay movie.

I didn't enjoy that aspect of the film, but what I hated most was how the trailer made it out to be something completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nejtJgXcDo

By the way, I love the use of Dante's Peak in it. One of my favorite parts of the score.

I actually loved the fact that it wasn't marketed as a gay movie. It was a film about deceit, impersonating, obsession and mindfuck that just happened to be gay. I think it was a great positive message of our evolution as a society, that a movie can be a gay movie without making a big deal out of it. It's become that mundane, that incorporated.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    I was in a WWII mood the past week so I've watched:
    Force 10 from Navarone- feels much like where eagles dare
    The Desert Fox- I love James Mason, and in this film he plays one of my favs from history
    Enemy At the Gates- Ed Harris is excellent
    Downfall- very well made, emotionally devastating to watch though

Have you ever seen ICE COLD IN ALEX? One of my all time favourite WWII set films.

p.s. I believe it had a different title in the US?

no, but now I must track it down!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    I saw Quantum of Solace last weekend. I think this film's biggest role is to set up a new secret world organization for Bond and MI6. I understand they can't use SPECTRE any more because of the lawsuits with Kevin McClosky, so I guess this is designed to create a new threat, supposedly suited to modern sensibilities, although the explanation given by Mr. White in the beginning of the film somewhat parallels Dr. No's explanation of SPECTRE in the 1962 Bond film.

Speaking of Mr. White, the villain here (and I'm not really giving anything away) is Mr. Greene. I do so hope that if they stick with this premise long enough to get to Mr. Pink that he says something about wanting to change his name. There's also a deposed dictator and some corrupt officials. Unfortunately, none of these villains is particularly interesting or noteworthy. And I've seen the same schemes in other films and TV shows, so I found nothing new here.

What I thought was odd was that they didn't really use much of the Bond mythos. You expect certain things in a Bond movie -for better or for worse- and they aren't here for the most part. So this is just another slam-bang action film along the lines of many that you've seen recently - Bourne, Transporter, etc. The Bond films often borrow from whatever is popular at the time which this time includes head-ache inducing car car chases, somewhat hard-to-follow fights and in-your-face camera angles. The girl is fairly irrelevant IMO, except as a device to move the action along. While Bond's underlying motive has little to do with the main story, hers is better integrated. They did have a nice role for Felix Leiter. The saving grace here is that at the end, they imply by the final scene that 'James Bond will return' to his standard characterization in the future.

Craig is pretty good, although he doesn't have much to say. There is none of the delightful character development of the first film for him, so he goes around looking fit and grim. He makes a very Connery-esque Bond, though. I think the next film will really be telling for him. M shines in her role. Once again they have decided to give her a more active role, which doesn't really fit Fleming's characterization of the service at all, but it fits the recent action film mold.

I look forward to the next film. This one was pretty irrelevant to the series IMO. It is a decent action flick though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Recently saw The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. James Newton Howard's score sure adds a lot; I must get this one soon. The plot is OK, if not cheesy, but overall it's a good film. Nothing that great, but nothing terrible, either.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    markck wrote
    I look forward to the next film. This one was pretty irrelevant to the series IMO. It is a decent action flick though.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I cannot wait for the next film - as long as it has nothing to do with Quantum Of Solace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm looking forward to seeing Night Digger tonight for two reasons.
    1...This is a film Patricia Neal did after her stroke.
    2...The Herrmann score
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    So instead of watching Night Digger I watched an old Universal film called The Invisible Ray not one of Waxman's better efforts. The story of Radium X with Karloff and Lugosi. He was just called Karloff. Not a bad film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    Flight of the Phoenix (remake)

A load of tosh really, but not unenjoyable. I've never seen the original - wonder if it's as silly.

The Omen (remake)

Same director as the above! I saw it was on tv so thought I'd give it a try. Seems a rather pointless exercise really - can't really see the point of remaking a film if you're not going to chance much at all. Sadly two things changed which make this considerably weaker than the original, which was hardly a masterpiece itself - Liev Schreiber is not a bad actor I guess, but he's not Gregory Peck, who could have made anything watchable. And the one great thing I learned from this is that Jerry Goldsmith was a genius of a film composer, the real creme de la creme. What quality the original film has (and I find it very watchable indeed, as seen from the surprisingly high number of times I've seen it) is so much down to him. It seems so extremely silly otherwise, but that score really makes you believe in it. I said a long time ago that I'd never seen another film that so benefited from its music as The Omen, and that's still true now. Beltrami's score for this is serviceable, but even he - as one of the more talented film composers around - simply pales into nothingness compared with Goldsmith.

Swingers

No complaints about the score here. I like Jon Favreau and this is a fine film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    Max Payne

What a mess of a film. Absurd from start to end. A real shame.
    As for the score by Beltrami and the other two guys, totally forgettable. If any, the last cue, the typical dramatic finale cue by Beltrami (like T3´"Radio" or Underworld Evolution´s "The Future").

1 out of 5

Southall wrote
    Flight of the Phoenix
    The Omen

Flight of the Phoenix, The Omen and Max Payne. Seems we´ve been in a John Moore mood today wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    Max Payne? What did you expect. There's 0 chance you'll ever get a worthy film out of a game.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Max Payne? What did you expect. There's 0 chance you'll ever get a worthy film out of a game.

All reviews I read ( two actually ) said it was shite ( but in more letters ) wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Southall wrote
    The Omen (remake)

Same director as the above! I saw it was on tv so thought I'd give it a try. Seems a rather pointless exercise really - can't really see the point of remaking a film if you're not going to chance much at all. Sadly two things changed which make this considerably weaker than the original, which was hardly a masterpiece itself - Liev Schreiber is not a bad actor I guess, but he's not Gregory Peck, who could have made anything watchable. And the one great thing I learned from this is that Jerry Goldsmith was a genius of a film composer, the real creme de la creme. What quality the original film has (and I find it very watchable indeed, as seen from the surprisingly high number of times I've seen it) is so much down to him. It seems so extremely silly otherwise, but that score really makes you believe in it. I said a long time ago that I'd never seen another film that so benefited from its music as The Omen, and that's still true now. Beltrami's score for this is serviceable, but even he - as one of the more talented film composers around - simply pales into nothingness compared with Goldsmith.

Goldsmith's music definitely stops this movie being completely silly and is a wonderful score.

I thought that the main actors for the remake were just not charismatic enough to carry the movie nor did they have enough charisma to make me really care for what happened to them. For the movie itself, the remake has some effective set-pieces - particularly Jennings' demise. This was one of the sequences they were scoring when I was at the recording sessions and that whole experience means that this movie (and particularly Beltrami's score) will have a special place in my heart.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I recently watched Raiders of The Lost Ark after having bought the 4-movie DVD boxed set. Up until now I hadn't any of the movies in any format and I thought that it would be safer to buy them now.

The movie looked great and the children seemed to enjoy it. I was wondering if this version of the movie has been tinkered from the original theatrical release?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote

My friend says Silent Hill was terrific.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The exception to the rule.

The problem is games are interactive, movies are passive, that's like trying to convert an apple into an orange, it's just not doable to mix the two, however on occasion someone who actually plays the games is involved with the movie...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Except that classic RPGs like Final Fantasy are barely interactive. Ask anybody who's played them and the main reason those games are classic is because of the engrossing storyline. The character-building dynamics can be tremendous fun, sure, but the story is the real appeal.

Who says "story" also says "movie". It's a wonder there's never been a faithful screen adaptation of any of the Final Fantasy games. The Final Fantasy movie was of course a completely original story that had nothing to do with any of the games (and the biggest sacrilege committed by that movie was setting it on Earth, while all the games in the past have always taken place on made-up completely fictional worlds; it's like having a Star Wars movie taking place in the Solar System, get my drift?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

All reviews I read ( two actually ) said it was shite

Indeed it is. With all the letters.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited
    I just saw Youth of the Beast. It's a very stylish Japanese yakuza film with an astonishing amount of violence and aberrant underworld behavior given that it was made in the early 60s. The story is fairly absorbing, although after a spate of violence in the beginning, you may find it drags a tad in places as the film goes along. Some of the production elements and film style may look a bit dated to those expecting modern "in your face" action portrayed in recent movies. Near the end, there's a gauntlet of cars scene that seemed to suffer the most from the staid camera angles. That would be interesting to see had it been filmed today as it's an interesting concept. The music is bright and blaring jazz that will either really involve you in the film's stylistic elements or seem awfully over-the-top and put you off. (I liked it after getting past the first few scenes in the movie where it seemed a little out of place.) Fans of stylistically violent action films will likely enjoy it a great deal more than me and should definitely check this film out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Funny? A friend recommended it to me too!? What's it about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The exception to the rule.

I agree. Silent Hill captures the pace and the mood of the game. One of the few exceptions though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Black Friday with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi in a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde film about an english professor who ends up with the brain of a gangster. A pretty decent low budget film with a Salter score that was mostly from his previous monster films about the Mummy and Frankenstein.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    RV: Doomsday

A new. deadly (sigh...) virus ravages the north of the UK, which is shielded off by a sort of hi-tech Hadrian's Wall almost overnight (wow! Some building contractors made a bundle!). 35 years later the virus spreads in the South, but there still seem to be survivors in the North, so obviously there must be a cure.
    A crack commando unit is sent to investigate to find the Scottish survivors having reverted to barbarism with feudal overtones, and a taste for human flesh (the fact that there are about a zillion cows around apparently never distracted from the delicacies of human buttocks).

Starring acctress Rhona Mitra has a sufficiently cool bad-ass thang going on to pull off a female Snake Plissken in this distopic future film that could be summarized simply but correctly as "Mad Max Escapes From New York".

It's not boring, but it is quite stupid and predictable, and quite graphically gory at places.
    From the director of one of the most effective chillers of the last 5 years (Descent) I expected better.

2.5 out of 5

There's some sort of droning, bonking noise that passes for music.

0 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited
    ^ I found Thomas Glorieux's clip from Doomsday quite quite captivating in his "Action Unleashed" game last week.

Was that the only good bit in the whole score or what? I was already considering getting it. That clip alone ranked at least a 2 or 3 out of 5 in my book.

RV: Planet Earth, the first 2 episodes
    Birds of paradise were amazing, but seeing that shark jump out of the water, whole, to catch a seal was just about the most jaw-dropping thing I'd ever seen. And I have even more respect for George Fenton's score now.
    omg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    ^ I found Thomas Glorieux's clip from Doomsday quite quite captivating in his "Action Unleashed" game last week.

Was that the only good bit in the whole score or what? I was already considering getting it. That clip alone ranked at least a 2 or 3 out of 5 in my book.

Birds of paradise were amazing, but seeing that shark jump out of the water, whole, to catch a seal was just about the most jaw-dropping thing I'd ever seen. And I have even more respect for George Fenton's score now.
    omg

Planet Earth is quite simply breathtaking! shocked cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    omg

Planet Earth is quite simply breathtaking! shocked cool

I could never tire of watching it. Stunning, stunning, stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Just finished watching the "Fresh Water" episode. I had particular morbid fascination in that one seeing as I finished writing a few days ago a chapter that took place on a river, with a bunch of giant fictional predators.

I liked the episode very, very much except that I was let down by the mangrove shots. I really expected to see underwater images of these legendary interwoven networks of roots. Seeing an Anaconda slinker through there would've been another added bonus. But instead they just glossed over the subject and only show a couple of above-water shots...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Have you seen the snow leopard episode yet? I don't think anything else on television has ever held me so captivated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Yes. The surefooted nature of the beast as it chased a prey downhill was an embodiment of what I admire in felines.