• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Simple Things - Zero 7

I met my new best friend tonight. I went to a house party and got talking to a girl (quite hot) who was a massive Zero 7 fan and who had been to see them a couple of times. Anyway, got her number. Sorted.

cool

Bam.

^
    That!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maybe we should add pickup to this thread cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

Fantasy works don't get much better than this, orchestration to die for and sublime choral work, this is the kind of classical work to a film that's never been made ( though Ray Harryhausen had a plan to set his dynamation to this piece, a shame it never came to fruit ), Jerry Goldsmith understood it perfectly, what a shame that most composers who use big choirs/orchestra now have barely a clue.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    Ravel a master of orchestration
  1. Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf

My father had this on LP ages ago... I think I played that record more times than all of the other music at the time (yes even film music). 33 years later this is still a superb album. 7 fantastic songs which have yet to be bettered by the Meat. Though Bat II is equally loved by me. Bat III lacks the classic melodies of this one but 'Two Out of Three Ain't Bad' !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf

My father had this on LP ages ago... I think I played that record more times than all of the other music at the time (yes even film music). 33 years later this is still a superb album. 7 fantastic songs which have yet to be bettered by the Meat. Though Bat II is equally loved by me. Bat III lacks the classic melodies of this one but 'Two Out of Three Ain't Bad' !!!!

It's hard for me to think of an pop album I hate more. To be very kind, it just isn't my thing.

Still, there are a few here who will agree with you.
  2. It sits right up there with the best of them, for me. I just love his powerful voice and his incredible energy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    It sits right up there with the best of them, for me. I just love his powerful voice and his incredible energy.

What can I say, I hate it but the odd thing is if he played Glastonbury I'd do my best to see him, live music can be such a different experience and I've seen many bands/solo artists that I've got a new found respect for after seeing them live, likewise I've been incredibly disappointed by some acts whose albums I've loved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf

It's hard for me to think of an pop album I hate more. To be very kind, it just isn't my thing.

Still, there are a few here who will agree with you.

I am still struggling to understand how this man is called "Meat Loaf". After all these years it seems incredibly stupid to me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's big, made of meat and looks like a loaf!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    Timmer wrote

Hardly
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hardly

No Tom.

FACT!
  3. Hey I love the other meat loaf too, in fact I'm going to make one sunday... lick cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mmmmm...I like meatloaf too but I haven't had it for a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    It sits right up there with the best of them, for me. I just love his powerful voice and his incredible energy.

I'm with ya, man. punk

One of the finest albums ever, and one I can sit right through and listen to each and every song without becoming bored or distracted at any time. Definitely in my top ten non-soundtracks albums.
    (But then I'm a complete sucker for this kinda thing. As one review would have it: "this is Grand Guignol pop—epic, gothic, operatic, and silly, and it's appealing because of all of this."
    AMEN!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. It's true rock-opera. The vocalist actually sings (screams) his lungs out, on 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light' there are even 2 great singers having a heated discussion, something which just isn't done anymore in this day and age! sad

Whatever happened to Ellen Foley by the way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Didn't Meat Loaf eat her?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2010
    NP : FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ERIC WOOLFSON SINGS THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT THAT NEVER WAS

Great final album from the super-songwriter. I miss him. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

You mean you don't have more to add than you haven't already said, right? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote

Sure is a good one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

You mean you don't have more to add than you haven't already said, right? smile

Pretty much wink Or it could be that I consider it so sublime that no words do justice.
  5. Which one do you prefer? The Fantasia or Lark Ascending? I think I prefer Lark, though the Fantasia is amazing too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    I prefer Lark Ascending.

NP Exposed Mike Oldfield

I'm listening to this one again because I just read today that Sting will be touring with an orchestra next summer. Is this a trend? Peter Gabriel is doing the same thing in April and is only visiting a handful of cities.

Oldfield was one of the first rockers to go out on tour with a full orchestra back in 1979? Any others artists did that before him? This disc is quite amazing. Not only, did he have the right material (Incantations) to support a tour like this but the arrangements of Tubular Bells part one , orchestra plus rock band , is quite spiffy. Even the cue, Guilty (and he should be!) mixing disco and orchestra with brothers Pierre and Benoit Moerlen on drums and vibraphone is energetic as all get out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the track Guilty shame It's just so darn catchy!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Which one do you prefer? The Fantasia or Lark Ascending? I think I prefer Lark, though the Fantasia is amazing too.

Talk about 'Sophie's Choice'. I think if really pushed I'd go with 'Lark' but only just.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited
    NP : SHORT RIDE IN A FAST MACHINE - John Adams

A great piece, very exhilarating.

methinks John Williams listened to this wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    not a fan of the Adams piece