• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    I can imagine! biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    20 euros well spent! cool

Tim, are you Pink Floyd knowledgeable by any chance?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, very! But Thor is in the ubber league of Floyd knowledge.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have some questions........THOR!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Put the questions up, maybe both of us are capable of answering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    Still listening and comparing and evaluating the Coco and Igor score, specifically The Rite of Spring material
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Stravinsky has nothing to do with Floyd
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    uhm dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well?

Sorry my friend, just got back home, wasn't able to answer last night. Basically all i have from them is the WALL and that album with the "wish you were here" on it. In comparison, the wall is an epic really, but a little bit rawer than the latter album. What i want to know is if their music's equally into divided into a general era where they wrote in more rock oriented and raw ways like in the brilliant the Wall and then they shifted into longer, more experimental and slightly mellower pieces? And if yes, which period came first? What other albums would you recommended, granted that i adore every single moment in The Wall? But also in general as far as pink floyd goes? Which are the must-haves and why? How are they like?

Thanks wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well?

Sorry my friend, just got back home, wasn't able to answer last night. Basically all i have from them is the WALL and that album with the "wish you were here" on it. In comparison, the wall is an epic really, but a little bit rawer than the latter album. What i want to know is if their music's equally into divided into a general era where they wrote in more rock oriented and raw ways like in the brilliant the Wall and then they shifted into longer, more experimental and slightly mellower pieces? And if yes, which period came first? What other albums would you recommended, granted that i adore every single moment in The Wall? But also in general as far as pink floyd goes? Which are the must-haves and why? How are they like?

Thanks wave

Pink Floyd can roughly be divided into three "eras" -

1) The early Syd Barrett era, mostly psychedelic, LSD-driven textures and deceptively naïve songs (like the acidic "children's song" called "Bicycles"). It's really an acquired taste, and I'm not sure this is for you. From PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN to ATOM HEART MOTHER, which contains a little bit of this and the...

2) ....Roger Waters era. This is more large-scale, traditional prog rock with hints of the rock opera style. ATOM HEART MOTHER to THE FINAL CUT. If you like THE WALL, this is probably what you need to check out, including Waters' solo albums.

3) Waters left the band in the early 80's, and the last era could be called the David Gilmour era. This is more bluesy, more ethereal, more moody stuff. From MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON to THE DIVISION BELL, plus his solo albums.

Of course, these guys weren't the ONLY writers in these eras, but they were really the head guys and defined much of the sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    D, surely you must have heard THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I have. But I prefer 'The Launch'.

Sorry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    says nothing, just holds coat ready....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Not too sure if i did when in my childhood? Where does it rank in what Thor described?

I think i am going for mostly 2, and will also check out 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also from what i read, i might enjoy "Meddle"?

Also what about "the division bell"?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not too sure if i did when in my childhood? Where does it rank in what Thor described?

I think i am going for mostly 2, and will also check out 3.

Section 2 is the Floyd era that I love so much, Dark Side of The Moon is one of The greatest albums ever produced IMO, an incredible and groundbreaking work that is quite rightly regarded today as one of the greatest albums of all time. Two other albums I can't recommend enough is WISH YOU WERE HERE and MEDDLE which has the long and mostly instrumental Echoes, one of the dreamiest pieces of music you'll ever hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    Yeah, i heard about that, echoes. I have WISH YOU WERE HERE and it's pretty good, but i must say i prefer the rock opera style of THE WALL, i have to be in the mood to listen to all those loooonggg synthy pieces smile Still a very good album indeed.

Also if i understood correctly, their late era and late albums haven't been always been very well received by the audience of that time..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

The Division Bell is pretty good though I have to admit I hardly ever play it. As I said above, MEDDLE is a must have.

The only Floyd album I never liked was their last one with Roger Waters, THE FINAL CUT, in fact, I loathe it, still, I suspect Thor will have an alternate view and I don't want to put you off something you might like!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The Division Bell is pretty good though I have to admit I hardly ever play it. As I said above, MEDDLE is a must have.

The only Floyd album I never liked was their last one with Roger Waters, THE FINAL CUT, in fact, I loathe it, still, I suspect Thor will have an alternate view and I don't want to put you off something you might like!?

Yes, I do think D will like THE FINAL CUT, as that's basically leftovers from the THE WALL sessions. Speaking of which, the best Waters solo album is unquestionably AMUSED TO DEATH...even quite film music-like in sections.

As for DIVISION BELL, that's a favourite of mine. It's grand and epic, yet at the same time that moody/bluesy/ethereal sound of Gilmour all over it. It's also a nostalgic favourite, because it spawned the 1994 tour that I attended. My favourite is the "heavy" sound of "High Hopes":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i8264L8 … re=related

(incidentally, I've always wondered what the Norwegian flags at 2:00 are doing there! smile)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Does your women sing like this D?

biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    The English National Ballet performing Alice in Wonderland. This is Tchaikovsky arranged by Carl Davis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/c … sky-yared/

One to be explored for sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited
    Indeed. But I don't think Demetris' dislike of Stravinsky has anything to do with age; it's simply preference. Not everything comes down to age, Tom. (I know for a fact that Demetris likes Bach, and Bach's much older than Stravinsky.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    Indeed. But I don't think Demetris' dislike of Stravinsky has anything to do with age; it's simply preference. Not everything comes down to age, Tom. (I know for a fact that Demetris likes Bach, and Bach's much older than Stravinsky.)

I base my feelings on how I felt at a much younger age about The Rite of Spring. The age comparision between Bach and Stravinsky has nothing to do with the music. I believe it is accessibility. If you read my review, which I'm sure you did, I thought it was noise too as did much of the entire audience who attended the premiere performance.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm still exploring this Carl Davis arranged work Alice in Wonderland. I would have enjoyed seeing the ballet.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote

I base my feelings on how I felt at a much younger age about The Rite of Spring. The age comparision between Bach and Stravinsky has nothing to do with the music. I believe it is accessibility. If you read my review, which I'm sure you did, I thought it was noise too as did much of the entire audience who attended the premiere performance.
    Thomas

But you do tend to make an issue of age more than anyone on this forum. The day you get old is the day you keep reminding everyone of it! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote

Thomas

But you do tend to make an issue of age more than anyone on this forum. The day you get old is the day you keep reminding everyone of it! wink

I admit to that dubious honor Steven.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    NP : SYMPHONY # 9 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

An awesome work and yet it's probably the least played by me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    I haven't forgotten my reviewing of the 9 symphonies.