• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    While you're all falling into a deep pit it seems to me that it is Germany that is stopping you hitting the bottom.

yeah Pretty much.

The fact that I am quite continuously flabbergasted by German dubbing of international media in no way diminishes my respect for German geopolitics.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let's wait until the end to judge it all. If more than 30% unemployment amongst (mainly) young people with bachelor and master degrees and 450 euros of monthly salary seems like 'saving you from the pit' to you then i rest my case wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013
    Hey, *I* would be absolutely ecstatic to see Greece move back to the Drachma (and likely decend into a whirlpool of chaos and destruction the likes of which have been unheard of since the Peloponesian Wars), were it not for certain Greek individuals I kinda like.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Greece and Cyprus or Italy or Spain or Malta or Ireland aren't the problem my friend, the core of the Eurozone, EU's structure and Germany's arrogance clearly is; because even EU countries that weren't even suspicious of debts in the begging are eventually coming up in the surface with great problems themselves which they were hiding all these years.

But, it's not like all of us forced Germany to bring us in; Eu and the Eurozone is their child, a sick child they refuse to attend.

Germany continuously refuses to sit down, take a good self-look at their austerity idiotic plans which are daily proven a failed 'solution'. They needed to study and try to find solutions on what's actually wrong with the EU (political and financial) system which they - themselves, have created and invited so many countries to become members of. Instead, they stubbornly play the power game against Russia and the lot, and continue to employ the proven-failed route of austerity upon further countries, despite the various inner voices from Deutschland and abroad which are desperately crying that austerity will mean the end of the Eurozone.

The recent events are showcasing it clearly; let's wait and see until the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Greece and Cyprus or Italy or Spain or Malta or Ireland aren't the problem my friend, the core of the Eurozone, EU's structure and Germany's arrogance clearly is; because even EU countries that weren't even suspicious of debts in the begging are eventually coming up in the surface with great problems themselves which they were hiding all these years.

But, it's not like all of us forced Germany to bring us in; Eu and the Eurozone is their child, a sick child they refuse to attend.

While I agree due diligence should have been FAR more strict (roughly a third of current EU countries should NEVER have been allowed entrance due to criminal mismanagement, corruption on the highest possible levels and blatant opportunism), it's a bit odd to think anyone BUT national political leaders (who saw great benefits in getting their filth-ridden, mismanaged economies hidden under the Euroblanket) are 100% responsible for the mess any given country is in now.

So until I see some national Greek, Spanish, Italian and Cypriotan political and financial leaders from way back then dangling from teh lamp posts (so to speak), I'm inclined to mark any and all pointing outwards as yet another attempt to divert attention from the real problems, which -especially in Greece- ALL were (or still are) casue by national, internal causes (and only have been brought to light by people on the OUTSIDE finally starting to pay attention. But shooting the messenger never solved anything.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But almost everyone in the Eu right now has huge debts and financial / political problems...are you suggesting that all those eu countries have their problems because of their incompetent leaderships? or were they perfectly able and 'clean' and their debts were simply created in just 4 years because of Greece?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    But almost everyone in the Eu right now has huge debts and financial / political problems...are you suggesting that all those eu countries have their problems because of their incompetent leaderships?

YEP!
    Shortsightedness and wishful thinking at best.
    Stubborn obstinacy in general.
    Manipulation and corruption at worst.

or were they perfectly able and 'clean' and their debts were simply created in just 4 years because of Greece?

Oh no! Almost no one, including the north, had their house properly in order. But it was manageable, and with another ten years (and some decisive politics...pretty much a contradiction in terms there, so one could wonder how realistic that idea is) Europe should have been able to whether the mortgage crisis and overcome the start-up difficulties.

Greece didn't cause the crisis (arguably American investment bankers did), but it was was absolutely the trigger in Europe, and has brought the house down in a far more accelerated fashion than anyone anticipated. And not by bad luck or happenstance, but solely by lies, deceit and corruption (and THAT is my beef with the Greek political leadership of the time. That no one has gone to jail yet utterly confounds me!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, but why blame the spark for the fire, rather than the foundation's weak basis and lack of proper structure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You have a point, but here's the thing: with organisations this size, with so many (equal) participants and so many agendas, there's no such thing as a strong basis. With a dream like that, you just need to start at some point (in this case to oppose the hegemony of the US as a commercial super state), and fix the cracks where and when they appear.

The real problem -as is coming to light- is that the whole global economy is in a volatile state, and has been for quite some time. Therefore my initial thoughts (noted down in the World Events thread some 1-2 years ago) that Europe might have weathered the storm if Greece hadn't sent it crashing down before its time may well have been far too optimistic.

I don't really blame Greece for anything (except their obnoxious leadership at the time of entry into the EU, which was both wrong and immoral). But to blame Greece for the crisis is, clearly, ridiculous. Whatever financial and economic mailase and malfeasance may come to light (and there's a lot of it, not just in Greece but in so many countries), our best hope now is that with the system breaking up and laid bare as badly as it does, the destruction will lead to a stronger, more cohesive (global) economy for future generations.

For now, I'm not at all optimistic about our own generation: there's a LOT to rebuild, and -more importantly- rethink. And I see only precious little of the latter. slant
  1. Well, that last decision concerning Cyprus was a desaster. In general I do believe that Frau Merkel tries to help but I am fully aware of whats going on in Hellas. It's a dilemma. confused

Anyway it's not only Germany: Sweden, the Benelux countries, Austria, Poland and mostly France are in league with us but they hide a bit behind us so we get blamed.

I am not always happy with Frau Merkel's way to make politics but I am a memeber of the conservative party too and I will take part in the her campain for the general election in this year's fall.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    God, I'm happy we're not a part of those EU shenanigans (although I'm sure it will have an indirect impact on Norway as well).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I need to stop taking job application rejections personally. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    Demetris wrote
    Yes you are! Merkel-with-a-dick leads you for God's sake! wink tongue kiss

Calling her Merkel-with-a-dick makes it sound like you have issues with women leaders. Just saying. smile

Martijn wrote
    The fact that I am quite continuously flabbergasted by German dubbing of international media

Couldn't agree more. I don't get why germans are fine with all their movies being vandalized like this.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not as funny as seeing him dubbed in Thai. Unfortunately I couldn't find any on YT.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. plindboe wrote
    Demetris wrote

Calling her Merkel-with-a-dick makes it sound like you have issues with women leaders. Just saying. smile

Martijn wrote
    The fact that I am quite continuously flabbergasted by German dubbing of international media

Couldn't agree more. I don't get why germans are fine with all their movies being vandalized like this.

Peter smile

Because
    a) In Germany Germans are in the habit of speaking German.
    b) In Europe there are about 100 million native speakers of German which makes the production of a dubbing worthwhile.
    The rest is a question of what you are used to. If you have never known the original version of the film and if you don't care to change that then the dubbed version is what you will take for granted. As a rule Germans hate underlined films just as Americans hate dubbed ones. In Germany some actors have gained more prominence with dubbing American collegues than with their own acting. Often these are theatre actors with little or no presence on screen. For instance people find John Wayne's own voice funny because his "German" voice is immensely popular here. Many American actors speak highly of their German counterparts and they will meet with them during premier parties. Some of these relations are spanning decades.
    It is noticible though that with the advent of DVDs (including the original soundtrack) the dubbing voices tend to be more in line with the original ones.
    To give another example: One of the most profiled dubbing actors is Rolf Schult: Robert Redford, Patrick Stewart, Anthony Hopkins, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Yul Brynner, Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland.
    He really came to stardom as the voice of Captain Picard. That part would lead him to speak documantaries about science, philosophy and religion.
    So, as funny as it may seem from the outside: In Germany it's a vital part of the film industry.

Volker
  3. Thor wrote

Applying for a teaching job, are you? How is that beeing done in Norway? Are you applying to the schools directly or is there some board to apply to that will distribute you to a school later?

Are you ready to teach full time? Many employers won't go for anything else but that of course would render you journalistic activities a mere hobby.

I whish you the best of luck!

Volker
  4. Demetris wrote

Take a look into the future:

http://www.welt.de/img/lifestyle/origs1 … /title.jpg

Greece is owned by China. wink tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Applying for a teaching job, are you? How is that beeing done in Norway? Are you applying to the schools directly or is there some board to apply to that will distribute you to a school later?

Are you ready to teach full time? Many employers won't go for anything else but that of course would render you journalistic activities a mere hoppy.

I whish you the best of luck!

Volker

It was actually a position as assistant professor at the institute where I worked previously in 2007 (media, University of Oslo) -- also as an assistant professor. Apparently, they don't want me back......more probably, they had better qualified applicants.

I'm currently on my last semester of the my pedagogy studies, which will -- hopefully -- equip me for teaching jobs at high school level (ages 16-18). However, my heart will always be at university level and university teaching. It seems, however, that that ship has sailed due to my 6-year-long absence from academia.

The alternative is a fulltime, fullpaid journalist job, but that seems even more difficult to get. I'm 35, and over-the-hill already, at least in that industry.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like this cartoon about the Cyprus situation:

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a … 0284_n.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Burnt the back of my hand while moving baking trays in the oven, it's gone red and blistering.... "ouch!"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Just read about the situation in Cyprus. Sorry to hear all this Demetris. It is complicated to understand and rather terrifying to not be able to access your money. What the hell was the EC thinking of a levy of over 6% on deposits, come on!!? On the other hand, why didn't your government do something earlier. I can't believe this is just happening?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Also I hope that Russia stays far away. I hope that Cypriots know that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can't believe it either my friend. Anyway, i will take some time off from the forum 'cause situation is shitty, i might try and go down to my family for a few days to see what's going on. I was also expecting some money from Cyprus which is also blocked and i am dry as we speak. Wish i had appetite for fun and other activities but with the situation in Greece and now in Cyprus it's got too much suddenly to handle. Could it get any worse? I come from one shitty eu economy and live in another shitty eu economy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That is an awful situation to be in D, my heart goes out to you and yours, us Brits should be kind of thankful that we're "merely" in a double-dip recession.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    Because
    a) In Germany Germans are in the habit of speaking German.

I'm pretty sure that in countries where movies are subtitled, people are in the habit of speaking their own language as well.

Captain Future wrote
    b) In Europe there are about 100 million native speakers of German which makes the production of a dubbing worthwhile.

It would make subbing just as worthwhile. I don't understand the argument.

Captain Future wrote
    The rest is a question of what you are used to. If you have never known the original version of the film and if you don't care to change that then the dubbed version is what you will take for granted.

Indeed. If you haven't grown up with the original movie, you'll never know what you're missing.

Captain Future wrote
    As a rule Germans hate underlined films just as Americans hate dubbed ones. In Germany some actors have gained more prominence with dubbing American collegues than with their own acting. Often these are theatre actors with little or no presence on screen. For instance people find John Wayne's own voice funny because his "German" voice is immensely popular here. Many American actors speak highly of their German counterparts and they will meet with them during premier parties. Some of these relations are spanning decades.
    It is noticible though that with the advent of DVDs (including the original soundtrack) the dubbing voices tend to be more in line with the original ones.
    To give another example: One of the most profiled dubbing actors is Rolf Schult: Robert Redford, Patrick Stewart, Anthony Hopkins, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Yul Brynner, Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland.
    He really came to stardom as the voice of Captain Picard. That part would lead him to speak documantaries about science, philosophy and religion.
    So, as funny as it may seem from the outside: In Germany it's a vital part of the film industry.

I'm sure it's true that some of these voice actors are very talented. But people like Hopkins, Brando, Hackman, Eastwood etc. are one in a million talents, that got to where they are because they are incredibly unique and talented. The voice of an actor is a huge part of acting, and to use one guy to replace these great actors, can only result in a diminished product. Also, this voice actor wasn't cast for the original movies, with no guidance from the directors; he had nothing to do with the movie productions. No matter how talented he is, the end products can only be inferior.

Peter smile
  5. The thing is: 80% of the German speaking people do not understand English. Not a word of it. At the same time they like to watch films that happen to have originated in English speaking coutries. We don't like to read subtitles, they distract us from the movie. Hollywood studios are very fond of us Germans for liking their movies and they want to make it easy for us. So they (!) produce a dubbing. They do so in Turkey and China and Russia and the Spanish speaking world and so on. They do it wherever it is economically worthwhile. Ever seen the language menu of a Paramount DVD?
    So, no: the product isn't diminished. For the everage German customer it is just the other way around.

This isn't about aesthetics. It's all about distributing a film world wide with the best profit possible.

Volker smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    As a film fan, I count myself lucky that over here in the flemish part of Belgium movies never got dubbed; though I suspect the main reason isn't that we are experts in english, but rather subtitling movies is the cheaper solution for such a small market. The only shows and movies that did get dubbed are those for children, and even that wasn't a certainty; I remember some cartoons having original english with subtitles. For those that did get dubbed I do confess that I've grown more accustomed to those voice actors so I do identify with my German & French friends who love the dubbed versions.

But as far as performance goes in a live action movie, the original language is still the best and the only way I watch an english spoken movie is without subtitles nowadays. As I do find they intrude the composition of the frame and I understand enough english now to do that.

But what about those Italian movies where the actors are allowed to speak what language they want, as it will get dubbed anyway? Well, leave it to the Italians to make things complicated biggrin
  6. As a matter of fact dubbing is one reason why Germans in general a re rather bad in English. Seeing films with subtiles is indeed a good way to learn English.
  7. I think that my ISP is having "issues".

I am getting DNS not responding errors when using wi-fi (Orange/EE) at the moment. Everything seems okay with mobile broadband though (T-Mobile/EE).

I hope that it is fixed by tomorrow or the children won't know what to do!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote

I hope that it is fixed by tomorrow or the children won't know what to do!

biggrin Well, what about a nice game of Bridge?

Volker