• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I apologise.

What an ungrateful piece of shit I am.

That better?

Oh I wasn't saying it as a joke.

I mean, in Spain it takes 60 - 90 days (even if the one that has to pay is an official institution).

I know. I didn't take it as a joke.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I know. I didn't take it as a joke.

smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Stavroula wrote
    For better of worse I'm the boss's right hand so you can imagine the workload I have.

Ask the boss for a left hand to make your life easier...
    Just a hint.

Maybe the Hand of God can give you a hand?
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012
    Skating_Lientje wrote

crazy
  3. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    For better of worse I'm the boss's right hand so you can imagine the workload I have.

Ask the boss for a left hand to make your life easier...
    Just a hint.

I would love to hand out a hand as I am the hand of GOD cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I would love to hand out a hand as I am the hand of GOD cheesy

Oh, nice try Thomas! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012
    Nice try guys! Especially when my right hand is hurting like hell I could definitely use one! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. I know that a true random shuffle means that tracks on iTunes are just as likely to be played again soon after they were first played (equally spaced out would not be random), but with 15,000+ tracks to choose from I would have hoped for a bit more variety than what I am getting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012
    I wonder how those things work. It's impossible (I assume) for it to be truly "random", it must use some kind of algorithm to choose the order. I wonder if it's biased towards playing things that you've played more often? I do often seem to get the same tracks coming up as last time when I just stick it on shuffle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012
    Same here. It's annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Ah, my problem is that I "re-shuffle" too regularly for true randomness to appear. Frequently adding new tracks (almost daily) "resets" the shuffle meaning that those same songs can re-appear:

http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunes … random.htm
  6. honestly, this guy doesn't stop remaking and Hollywood doesn't stop rebooting, where is it gonna end?

Wiseman rebooting The Mummy

Hope for him it's not another Total Recall fiasco
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Wiseman rebooting The Mummy

sleep sleep sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012 edited
    I have absolutely no idea where I should share this, but this is the closest I can get.

For the last week, I've been in a school praxis in relation to my pedagogy studies. I'm teaching 1st graders in high school (16-year-olds) - in English. The other two students in my group (two girls) have broken down completely. One on Thursday, the other today. They've cried and threatened to quit the study altogether. At this point, I'm almost the last man standing.

Yes, it's been a very tough week. Fortunately for me, I could surf on my experience from the university, but the others have basically succumbed to the whims of present-day teenagers. They're sitting behind huge computers, they're on facebook, they're noisy, they don't care about anything unless you're entertaining as a teacher.

Wow.

Today, I've relaxed with friend and quite a few beers, but it takes its toll.

Man, I'm looking forward to Ghent next week, just to get away from it all.

Rant over.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
    That sounds pretty tough. Can understand your frustrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thor wrote
    I have absolutely no idea where I should share this, but this is the closest I can get.

For the last week, I've been in a school praxis in relation to my pedagogy studies. I'm teaching 1st graders in high school (16-year-olds) - in English. The other two students in my group (two girls) have broken down completely. One on Thursday, the other today. They've cried and threatened to quit the study altogether. At this point, I'm almost the last man standing.

Yes, it's been a very tough week. Fortunately for me, I could surf on my experience from the university, but the others have basically succumbed to the whims of present-day teenagers. They're sitting behind huge computers, they're on facebook, they're noisy, they don't care about anything unless you're entertaining as a teacher.

Wow.

Today, I've relaxed with friend and quite a few beers, but it takes its toll.

Rant over.

Honey welcome to my world! I've been a teacher to teenagers (and other ages as well) for 11 years now and I understand completely. Despite what many people think it takes a lot of patience and determination(I think the phrase is "a huge pair of balls", but being a lady I cannot use it of course) to do what we do and cope with it. So, breathe, smile and remain calm. The trick is to make them understand that the calmer you get the worse trouble they are in.
    And Thor... do take care of yourself. Remember that we want you around.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  7. Sounds frustrating Thor and Stavi,

I can imagine the disrespect teenagers have towards teachers (I see it everyday in real life too). The fact of the matter is they don't understand that you're literally preparing them for the future, it's only then they'll realize you were actually doing them a favor. So, no matter how hard it sounds, I hope you can continue to educate them, and hope that you positively touch one of two of them, hopefully even more.

But I can understand if it becomes all too much after a while.
    At least we will cheer you up Thor, in Ghent next week, and for that alone: the first beer is one me beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Taught for three years and hated it. Children not giving a fuck for nothing but weed and junk music. Never again.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2012
    You managed to stick at it for three years though, that shows courage! Stavi and Thor, you're doing something I could never have the courage to do. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote

I also need a break from work, so I'm looking forward to Ghent as well!
  8. Writing a review of a popular and liked score and being personally attacked, because I pointed out the obvious problem with the score. It happened to be James Horner's For Greater Glory. Everyone is praising it and it was the first case of the reuses of former material bothering me in his case. There is not an original note in the score and my rating (and the text itself) represented that. I think that writing a score that is basically reusing everything that's been before is not a good thing and Horner is given too much slack for it, just because of his name.

I saw the movie and when Horner reused the Freedom Speech theme from Braveheart for an identical scene in the new movie, it made me laugh. Another copy that annoyed me on album didn't annoy me in the film, because the biggest lift (note for note reuse of the main theme from The Missing, possibly my favourite modern Horner score with the exception of The New World) was cut from the film and, really, the music in the scene was one of the most effective moments of the score in the film (this and the duology of Jose's Martyrdom and Death). The score massively reuses basically everything that was before, the love theme is nothing else than The Four Feathers (note for note), the song is Avatar meets The Mask of Zorro meets A Beautiful Mind with phrasing also reminding of the vocal solos of Annie Lennox in Apollo 13, the four note motif is plain abundant in it, but that's acceptable (one of my favourite Horner works, all-time favourite, is Enemy at the Gates) , though in some cases it makes the film a bit ridiculous (no, James, a four-note motif is not enough to handle the image of a dead body hanging from a pole) at times. So, I voiced my opinion, stated the rating accordingly (gave it 2 and half stars in the end) and a flame war ensued.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    About the teaching: while I am a teacher I have no experience with 16-year-olds at all!
    (I will next year, when my teaching practice starts first grade)

I teach 12-13 year-olds, that is much different, they still have a bit of motivation left and can be very enthusiastic. Not all of them though...

Thor, how old are your co-students? Because over 90% quits when they first have to teach, especially when the students are young. Many teachers I know first started at age 19 or 21, then quit, then had different jobs, and returned to education as an experineced adult and then it worked. It's not nice, but it's a fact that many quit. What's worse is that the horror-experience of teaching will be remembered, so the chance of trying again is not too big.

About teenagers, well, they're supposed to be like that. Of course, they shouldn't be disrespectful, that's why you are needed as a teacher, to teach them that! But it's a psychological thing at their age that they revolt to their parents and their teachers, to everyone who's trying to educate them. If you accept that as a natural phase in their development, then it's easier to deal with.

Don't take it personally. They want you to be teacher, not a friend. They want to be told what to do and what not, even though they say the opposite. That's how it works.

I often compare teachers with policemen. We always complain about police this, police that, oh no, not another ticket, etc. But we want them to do that right? We complain but we still want them to do their job. When you get a ticket and say 'ah please no ticket' and the ofiicer says 'OK', we feel lucky the first time, but the next time we think, hey, why are you not doing your job? And when we see no one gets tickets anymore, we think 'crap! it's chaos! Officers, please give tickets, do something, because it's getting out of hand'.

Exactly the same with teenagers. They complain about parents and teachers, but they so need it: that you are clear, consistent, reliable and in the classroom: that everything is in order.

Oh most important of all: they are not assholes, it's all an attitude. They seem not to care about anything, but of course they care about many many things. They are still humans, with friends and family and passions like music, sports, biking, whatever it is. They do care, really!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I had adult classes....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, the need for order and the need to complain about the one keeping order doesn't change with age. That's what my police example shows as well I guess?

By the way, it seems that a group of teachers is the most horrible group to teach or lead or whatever. They are so annoying, which I find weird, because they should know what it feels like!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah because they're "know-it-all's".
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    TOM....where were you, man? I missed you at the Tipsy Crow in the Gaslamp quarter a couple of days ago, for the get-together thing....maybe the only chance anyone here at maintitles would have had to see you in the flesh. Pubs and social settings might not be your thing, but I wish you'd gotten back to me for a meet-up somehow (I sent you a couple of PMs before departure, but didn't hear anything back). Too late now, though. But I enjoyed your city for two whole days.

I sent you a pm plus an email but never got a response from you. I had no idea where this place was as you guessed correctly that I'm not into pubs. I've now moved back to Minnesota for several reasons one of which is the disability friendliness of my new apartment as well as my father. I guess the cold weather climate is just the Norwegian in me!
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm still looking for things in the 89 boxes I had shipped. My Dad and I have completed 2 of 6 bookcases for my movie reference books, DVD's, and CD's. This has to be my last move as I've spent nearly $6000 in moving the CD'S. There is something to be said about having your collection all digital!
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    TOM....where were you, man? I missed you at the Tipsy Crow in the Gaslamp quarter a couple of days ago, for the get-together thing....maybe the only chance anyone here at maintitles would have had to see you in the flesh. Pubs and social settings might not be your thing, but I wish you'd gotten back to me for a meet-up somehow (I sent you a couple of PMs before departure, but didn't hear anything back). Too late now, though. But I enjoyed your city for two whole days.

I sent you a pm plus an email but never got a response from you. I had no idea where this place was as you guessed correctly that I'm not into pubs. I've now moved back to Minnesota for several reasons one of which is the disability friendliness of my new apartment as well as my father. I guess the cold weather climate is just the Norwegian in me!
    Tom

Really? I never got any PMs or mails. Seems like we had a communicative collapse here -- on both ends.

Oh well. I hope you've settled in Minnesota (lots of Norwegian roots there) and best wishes on your continued recovery! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Thor, how old are your co-students? Because over 90% quits when they first have to teach, especially when the students are young. Many teachers I know first started at age 19 or 21, then quit, then had different jobs, and returned to education as an experineced adult and then it worked. It's not nice, but it's a fact that many quit. What's worse is that the horror-experience of teaching will be remembered, so the chance of trying again is not too big.

One is in the late 20's, the other in the late 30's. I don't think age was the important factor in these cases...more their lack of experience and their personalities.

Personally, I used several 'tricks' from my career as a university lecturer, so I managed OK.....but my challenge was adapting that to a more interactive, less 'lofty' approach with the teenagers. Lots of things have changed since I was in school, that's for sure - they hardly write on paper anymore and they demand more 'entertainment' value from the teacher; more differentiated education.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. sdtom wrote
    I'm still looking for things in the 89 boxes I had shipped. My Dad and I have completed 2 of 6 bookcases for my movie reference books, DVD's, and CD's. This has to be my last move as I've spent nearly $6000 in moving the CD'S. There is something to be said about having your collection all digital!
    Tom

$6000!!

I sometimes consider selling my collection to SAE. But as s&h is not paid for by them for overseas shipping I dread to think how much it would cost to send everything over. I wonder if I would come out even?