• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Thor wrote
    I support you 100%, Demetris. I vote for removal of the "track title" thing as well.

Count me in.

That's 3 of us!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Trying to think of angle for these Guessing games, it occurred to me that I should base all my games around the use of particular musical forms in film scores. So:

'Would you care to dance?'

How about a little Waltz?

Going through iTunes and pulling out clips of waltzes from the history of cinema gave me 90 to choose from just from those cds I'd ripped. Here is a selection of some of the finest. An ode to the ongoing love affair of our favourite film composers with three quarter notes to the bar. (Or two six eighth notes...) wink

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3
    Clip 4
    Clip 5
    Clip 6
    Clip 7
    Clip 8
    Clip 9
    Clip 10
    Clip 11
    Clip 12
    Clip 13
    Clip 14
    Clip 15
    Clip 16

1 point for score, 1 for composer, and 1 for track. 48 points to be had in all, plus...

Bonus

Hint: Only FOUR of the track titles feature the word 'waltz'. Don't worry, you iTunes search masters. I made sure of that.

bump
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. For my part I'm fine with the specific track title feature. So what if it means no-one gets full points - it practically guarantees in a 10 clip game that no two people will end up with the same score, because one of them will have been too lazy to check their iTunes list or soundtrack collector. wink

I'm dismayed so many are finding this one hard. There's some classic scores in there, though not many of them are post-2002.

The rankings from the early guessers:

- Thor - 11 points
    - AntiNeutrino - 8 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points

Thor leads! (And partly because he knows the relevant track titles. wink )

All who've submitted to date have complained that this is pretty much the hardest set yet. Sorry guys - guess I knew them all. (And it must be admitted there's an evangelical aspect to it too - spreading the love on favourite scores.) I promise - if I get another run at this down the line - there'll be a few more obvious inclusions in 'Tango' and 'Fugue'. One of the things I was most concerned about was iTunes users just typing in waltz and coming up with a list.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Updated with scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't use iTunes.
    I'm left out ... again.
    It feels even harder in these times of light and good food. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I don't use iTunes.
    I'm left out ... again.
    It feels even harder in these times of light and good food. sad

[Cartman] Ahahahah....AHAHAHA...HAHAHA!!! [/Cartman]

Sorry, I just love South Park.
  3. Bregt wrote
    I don't use iTunes.
    sad

Well now you know my secret. wink
    Don't worry - for this game - they have practically no advantage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    The track title stays.

If you're too chicken to stay in the kitchen, you better the hell get some Dodgey cake instead, by Gum!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What the devil is an iTune, anyway? A highly personalized title track?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For my own part, I venture many a Desplat will be in there, an odd Glass or other such composers whose flights of fancy thin and ethereal will rest on our consciousness for no longer than the time needed to whisper a dream's memory near lost.

In other words I don't bloody recognize any of the lot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The track title stays.

If you're too chicken to stay in the kitchen, you better the hell get some Dodgey cake instead, by Gum!

Fair enough....I can live with that rolleyes cheesy
  4. Martijn wrote
    For my own part, I venture many a Desplat will be in there, an odd Glass or other such composers whose flights of fancy thin and ethereal will rest on our consciousness for no longer than the time needed to whisper a dream's memory near lost.

In other words I don't bloody recognize any of the lot.

I don't believe Glass has written many waltzes. I would have thought you'd make a killing on this one, Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You thought... wrongly.
    Except when by "killing" you mean blood and entrails and guts splattered over a wide area.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Track titles are a pain in the arse, I have to admit. It's a game of whether or not you can be arsed to go through the whole album to find the darn thing, rather than prerequisite knowledge of the music.

Still, it is up to the Creator, not us mere mortals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Arsed I am as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    On a side note, I'm last! At the bottom of the ladder! shocked

Demetris, quick! Send in your awnsers!
  5. If Demetris doesn't get at least six, I shall be very disappointed in him. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    See?
    Amenabars, Iglesiases and Desplats all over the place. slant
  6. Clue: Of all the composers you've listed Martijn, only one is in the game. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The track title stays.

I have a strong urge to moderate you, Sir; right now!

In fact i'll do it via democracy: we're 3 against and you're 1 pro, for the time being so bite me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    BobdH wrote

WHY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kill
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

WHY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kill

lol
    Kazoo
  7. Updated scores:

- Plindboe - 22 points (this man knows how to dance!)
    - Thor - 11 points
    - AntiNeutrino - 8 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Woohoo! And I just realized what track 2 is as well, so expect a couple of more points. :dancing smiley:

Peter :dance: :jitterbug: :tango: :demi moore in striptease:
  8. I'm pro biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Gave them a listen and I'm sure of only 3 of them so far. Those are real short clips! I'll give it a try during the weekend.

That's awesome, Peter! It appears you've taken an unbeatable lead. smile
  9. BhelPuri wrote
    Those are real short clips!

Most of them are more than 30 seconds. Isn't 30-45 seconds the standard length?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Those are real short clips!

Most of them are more than 30 seconds. Isn't 30-45 seconds the standard length?

One minute would have been nice. It's just that I try to get a train of thought going (as in wondering where I've heard it before) and the cue ends before I can make a decent start. It's ok. I'll keep it on repeat mode.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Mine were 50 sec. smile I believe that's about the standard?