• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008 edited
    [edited]

**** THE SPECIFIC TRACK TITLES THINGY!! SERIOUSLY!!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with Demetris. Can we have a vote or something?

Edit: Scratch that. I think it should be up to the person who makes the clips... but still, I'd prefer a game where "guessing" the track titles isn't part of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nah. Now there's much more diversity in the results. As well as the fact that when you know the score, it's not so hard to fnd the particular cue. If you know the score a little, it should not be a big problem?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008
    How about when a theme is repeated in very similar ways 735 times in a single score? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Then it's probably a Horner score, not chosen in these games. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    How about when a theme is repeated in very similar ways 735 times in a single score? wink

Exactly. biggrin

C'mon Bregt, sometimes it's very frustrating to try and find the right track, it usually takes a lot of time and effort (yes, I'm very lazy, so what!?).

Naming the cue isn't really about testing your memory (which is what the game is about, right?), it's mostly about whether or not you can be arsed to find the cue from the score, the score that you already know what film it's from! dizzy

It may even encourage more people to play if they knew they only had to 'guess' the score and composer?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I must admit the track titles are a pain and as has already been pointed out, when you know the score you have to skip through album tracks to get the title, something that has kept me from playing some games in the past.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    When I make a game some day in the future I think I'll do it without track titles, but it probably needs more clips to spread the points out a bit. But it's up to the maker of the game how to do it, I'll dig it either way. With track titles it's more challenging and takes a bit more effort, which can be fun but also a pain if you don't have the time.

Peter punk
  1. franz_conrad wrote
    Bregje makes a late run for the crown!

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - BhelPuri - 20 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - Demetris - 12 points
    - Falkirkbairn - 11 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - AntiNeutrino - 8 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    - Bregje - 4 points

I must say, its great to be in there twice
    if you take those 2 together I have 17 points and then I beat Bregt
    yay biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - BhelPuri - 20 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - Demetris - 12 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    - Bregje - 4 points

yay biggrin

You get added together twice and you still don't get 1st place?.....bummer! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - BhelPuri - 20 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - Demetris - 12 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    - Bregje - 4 points

yay biggrin

You get added together twice and you still don't get 1st place?.....bummer! wink

Who cares, I'll be beating Bregt biggrin
  3. I vote for keeping the titles in.

It's good to try and guess the actual scores and knowing the tracks are good for people who know the score well - or a prepared to put the time in to searching for the cue.

BTW, Demetris. That's one of the most gratuitous examples of swearing I've seen here so far. Was it really necessary?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    These games bring the most evil of us to the public. biggrin

But I'm quite proud with my score this time. tongue cat
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Exactly. biggrin

C'mon Bregt, sometimes it's very frustrating to try and find the right track, it usually takes a lot of time and effort (yes, I'm very lazy, so what!?).

Naming the cue isn't really about testing your memory (which is what the game is about, right?), it's mostly about whether or not you can be arsed to find the cue from the score, the score that you already know what film it's from! dizzy

It may even encourage more people to play if they knew they only had to 'guess' the score and composer?

Totally agree. Apart that some people will probably be held back by the fact that they'll need to waste time to find the specific track title in order to get full marks, naming the specific track title doesn’t showcase any memory abilities nor musical abilities no any abilities whatsoever, imo. Apart if you want to reward those who are less lazy than others or something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BTW, Demetris. That's one of the most gratuitous examples of swearing I've seen here so far. Was it really necessary?

Are there people still offended by the general, non-personal and non-direct use f word nowadays? Woah, i wouldn't assume. Anyway, i'll edit the post.
  4. Thanks, Demetris.

I do use the "F-word" myself - I just thought that it was unnecessarily blatant. There are more imaginative ways of implying what you meant!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I HATE that track title thingie. That has so NOTHING to do with the way I listen to soundtracks, and - as Timmer points out - it takes away some of the pleasure in participating in these games in the first place. Not to mention a pain in the ass to listen to the whole soundtrack just to find it. It's about WORK and TIME-CONSUMPTION, not GUESSING. Pleeeeeeeeeeease remove it! smile

Anyway, I'm pleased that I'm quite stable in my "middle of the road" performances in these things. Much like my favourite British football team, Tottenham! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Christodoulides wrote

Not to be unkind, but if you really knew some of the scores where you threw up your hands and said 'who cares about the track title' thing, you would have had no trouble getting them. Without the track title thing, you and BhelPuri might actually have the same score, despite the fact that he actually put some work into it. wink

That has so NOTHING to do with the way I listen to soundtracks

Then your lifestyle condemns you to do poorly in this game, my Norwegian friend. tongue

Alan rises the scale:

- Plindboe - 22 points
    - BhelPuri - 20 points
    - Bregt - 15 points
    - Falkirkbairn - 13 points
    - Demetris - 12 points
    - Thor - 11 points
    - Tommy Boy - 10 points
    - Reza - 9 points
    - Tommy Boy - 7 points
    - BobDH - 6 points
    - Bregje - 4 points
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I can drive myself mad at not finding that specific track, but on the other hand its a cool way to earn extra points.

Whatever is decided, my mission will remain the same smile

TO BEAT BREGT

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh damn you my boy wink
    Nah, kidding here, good job buddy, you deserve it

But darn it you will get it back next time smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm not your boy.
    When I win, I will be your god. biggrin
    Kazoo
  7. Bregt wrote
    I'm not your boy.
    When I win, I will be your god. biggrin

just make sure we will be getting some reviews soon oh mighty god tongue
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    .. naming the specific track title doesn’t showcase any memory abilities nor musical abilities no any abilities whatsoever, imo.

Surely one of the ridiculous rationalisations I've seen in the 10 minutes I've been awake today. (Though I'd be surprised if it's bettered in the day to come.) What do you mean it doesn't showcase any memory abilities or musical abilities or any abilities whatsoever? How do half the players remember them week after week? Do you think they get the answers in the mail or something? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What ridicilous realisations did you see Michael?
    I love those. (I assume you don't mean the game, but rather something at your place right?)
    Kazoo
  9. Bregt wrote
    What ridicilous realisations did you see Michael?
    I love those. (I assume you don't mean the game, but rather something at your place right?)

I meant Demetris provided a rationalisation (ie. tried to make sense) for why track titles shouldn't be asked for. But his rationalisation made no sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn swears every time he posts a reply! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Made sense to me. You're not gonna know the cue title if you don't know the name of the score first. Once you know the score, then you can either rely on your memory to serve in telling you the name of the track, or you can simply and laboriously search the album. The latter does not take showcase musical skills or memory abilities. It proves you're not lazy.

That's right D, I got your back! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael,

Could you please name what abilities exactly does putting the CD in after you remember the composer and score or (more commonly) opening the folder with the mp3's to find the specific track title reveals about a person? You can call me lazy and i won’t mind but calling my confrontation to your geeky-ness ridiculous is something I don’t like, at all.

I won’t dictate you how to organize your games of course, you (and all) can do whatever you like but I seriously object to it as taking the fun out of the game and this is why we only see the same names in each and every participants' list each and every time.

I am just throwing the thought around and everyone can do whatever they want afterwards i don't care but i'd seriously appreciate more thoughtful counter-arguments instead of name-calling.
  10. Steven wrote
    The latter does not take showcase musical skills or memory abilities. It proves you're not lazy.

Yes, but Demetris decided to add to those: 'or any other abilities'. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    The latter does not take showcase musical skills or memory abilities. It proves you're not lazy.

Yes, but Demetris decided to add to those: 'or any other abilities'. cool

Well, certainly not any abilities worthy in a game of memory I'd say. Honestly, it's up to the maker of the game - ain't fussed. Just thought it's a point worth mentioning. (Or agreeing with at least!)
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    Could you please name what abilities exactly does putting the CD in after you remember the composer and score or (more commonly) opening the folder with the mp3's to find the specific track title reveals about a person? You can call me lazy and i won’t mind but calling my confrontation to your geeky-ness ridiculous is something I don’t like, at all.

I won’t dictate you how to organize your games of course, you (and all) can do whatever you like but I seriously object to it as taking the fun out of the game and this is why we only see the same names in each and every participants' list each and every time.

You talk as though I started this trend, rather than simply participate in it.

I am just throwing the thought around and everyone can do whatever they want afterwards i don't care but i'd seriously appreciate more thoughtful counter-arguments instead of name-calling.

It wasn't name calling, so I feel no need to apologise. I said your argument was ridiculous, not you. In fact you started the name calling by describing me as 'geeky'. (And somewhere, an angel lost its wings when one soundtrack collector called another 'geeky'.) As to the argument: I invite you to consider your original illogical statement that no ability whatsoever (musical or memory or any ability) what demonstrated by those who looked up track titles. That is a rationalisation that does not follow. Perhaps it was a bit strong to call it ridiculous, but you must remember: in previous games, I have figured out track titles for scores I've never even heard, just based on the theme of the game. So obviously I've found a way to make it work without going out and buying CDs.