• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008
    Bregje wrote
    On one hand I think it's very simple. It's a game. The more you know, the more points you get.
    Often specific tracks are chosen for a GTS game, so then they are somehow recognizable. Or, as already said, they have a link with the theme. I don't understand why people do not play beacuse of the track title thing; you can also just guess composer and score if that's what you enjoy doing! Of course, you won't win the game, but does that really matter?

Very good points!

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Indeed a great set. I feel good in doing a waltz, not with Timmer though ( angry wink )
    Gonna look up Portrait of a Lady now!
    Kazoo
  1. One day someone has to set an intense action sequence to that track from PORTRAIT OF A LADY - 'Phantasms of Love'. That would so work. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I love the score "Portrait of a lady"; I'm constantly amazed how one single score can have so much goodness. That's why I feel even more ashamed that I didn't guess the cue.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Look at those titles!
    I would have just gotten one point anyway. smile

Me, I'm just playing for the heck of it, but I like the detail of going for track titles as well.
    And it makes sense to me: the more details you know, the more points you garner.
    Sure you could run a "guess the film" contest as well, and that could certainly be entertaining.
    But even though I generally do piss-poorly, I do prefer the more intricate games.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Good job Michael! And thanks for the excellent descriptions! There's a method indeed!
    It's been a while since I listened to Spanglish, Arsene Lupin and Papillon. BTW that was very wicked with 2 clips from the same album! slant

I've been wanting to get the Obsession score for the last one year but it rarely shows up on ebay and when it does, it's very pricey. I guess I should watch the movie first. I first thought it was Herrmann (reminded me of N by NW) but then I didn't think he used chorals like that and changed my guess to Waxman.

Peter, congrats! http://i4.tinypic.com/7ws6cea.gif

Alright, I've emailed my clips to Bregt. I'll post after they're uploaded. I've tried to keep it mostly simple and others work-out-able. This one has a theme smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, thanks BhelPuri; nice smiley! Would be nice if pictures would show automatically though.

Peter cow
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Hehe, thanks BhelPuri; nice smiley! Would be nice if pictures would show automatically though.

I prefer 'cluttering of the board' instead of 'nice'. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Guess it's a taste issue. I love pictures, makes the threads varied and it's fancy when you can post composer pictures and CD covers, and use various smilies from across the net. Perhaps for people with a 12k modem it takes too long to load, but besides that I really can't see the problem.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Once again, I replied with the few I had heard. The ones I didn't manage....well, I've never heard them in my life. At least there wasn't something I KNEW I had heard before, but simply didn't remember. That's always frustrating. However, I could probably have guessed at least guys like Herrmann, Delerue or Rozsa if I'd put my mind to it and if I'd bothered (due to their idiosyncratic styles).

Another thing about the track titles, if people decide to keep this in: How many chances does one get? If you know the composer and score, but have the track title wrong, how many guesses before you say stop? Theoretically, you could simply go through all the track titles and at some point you would be right....right? Are there any rules here or is it up to whoever created the game?

Or to widen it even more: If you get everything wrong (composer, score, track title), how many chances do you get at getting it right?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    Another thing about the track titles, if people decide to keep this in: How many chances does one get? If you know the composer and score, but have the track title wrong, how many guesses before you say stop? Theoretically, you could simply go through all the track titles and at some point you would be right....right? Are there any rules here or is it up to whoever created the game?

Or to widen it even more: If you get everything wrong (composer, score, track title), how many chances do you get at getting it right?

Interesting point Thor. As a matter of fact I jokingly asked Michael if I could get at least one point for guessing John Williams for all clips.
    wink

Theoretically I would say the more one gambles, the more effort it is so points can be earned. Why not? It's called guess-the-score after all, not know-the-score, right?

Speaking for myself, when I play the game I like to keep it music related, rather than a gamble. If the clip is slow for instance, I would guess a love theme, or when it sounds like a finale, I would guess the end credits or something near the end, you get the idea. Of course I have done some random guesses as well, but it just isn't fun to do, so I would never go on until I got the right one.

This is where I understand Demetris' point: with the track titles, is it about gambling or about filmmusic knowledge? Although again I'd say the same goes for score title when you only know the composer! I have no problem with people gambling in the game. But as I just explained for myself I enjoy it most when it has something to do with what I know about filmmusic, like guessing composers by the style of music, or guessing track titles by the kind of clip. (Whether I'm good at it is a different thing of course...)

I know your question was a theoretical one and my theoretical answer would be that everyone is allowed to guess on until they get a full score, but I think we all agree it is only fun while it still has something to do with filmmusic knowledge and I am certain that's how the game is played, also with guessing the track titles!
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    If I don't know a cue after one or two guesses (yes, I mostly guess or go by hints), I just quit. It's as far as my knowledge goes, so no use to try 13 times and not find it either. It shows how good you know a score, not necessarely tracktitlesor so, but where the cue is located or where it could be used in the score.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    On a more practical level: I experienced that some people who put up a game only allowed one guess per PM (per clip composer, score, track of course), while others let me (in despair wink ) guess three titles at once and counted one right. That raises an interesting question too whether there should be a rule for that or not. I think it's fair to say one guess at a time to make sure the efforts are equal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    If I don't know a cue after one or two guesses (yes, I mostly guess or go by hints), I just quit. It's as far as my knowledge goes, so no use to try 13 times and not find it either. It shows how good you know a score, not necessarely tracktitlesor so, but where the cue is located or where it could be used in the score.

It does show how good you are at remembering where the cue is in the film or which cue it is on the album, absolutely. Thing is there's nothing stopping you from laboriously searching through the album to find it, which renders the point of remembering it a null point.

If there was an audio search engine available, it would kind of render the whole game pointless! So let's be glad that isn't the case... although that would be really cool!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My ideal game:

10 clips.
    Has a theme.
    I post who's entered their answers, but I don't post the points they've got.
    Give 1 point for knowing/guessing the right score.
    Give one point for knowing/guessing the right composer.
    Only allow 3 guesses for each.

...but as I'm too lazy to make games, it doesn't really matter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH

Why? Isn't it much more exciting when you know how much everybody has, who's winning, and if you have to guess more to win?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Hehe, I like your hypothetical thinking Steven. biggrin

Interesting!

But no. What would be the point in that? And do people really enjoy taking a fourth, fifth, sixth guess? I think three is already about where people give up. Or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote

Why? Isn't it much more exciting when you know how much everybody has, who's winning, and if you have to guess more to win?

It might encourage more people to play if they don't know what they're aiming for. They might be put off if someone's got a lot more points than them. That's one theory at least...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Poo.
    My games
    - will always have a theme.
    - have points for everything and Cool Titles for people getting things wrong in a spectacular way.
    - will allow for as many guesses as you want.
    - automatically deduct 50% of Michael's points (which won't stop him from winning anyway).
    - will see Steven participate only to beat Bregt.
    - will have Timmer always saying he'll play (though he never actually will).

This is all non-negotiable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    - will see Steven participate only to beat Bregt.

After Tommy_Boy, now Steven as well? shocked
    Poor Bregt biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I was just kidding around, Tim. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I was just kidding around, Tim. smile

I know that biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    My ideal game:

10 clips.
    Has a theme.
    Give 1 point for knowing/guessing the right score.
    Give one point for knowing/guessing the right composer.

...but as I'm too lazy to make games, it doesn't really matter!

Cool rules! I would go for that....except that it's also interesting to know the points before the very end.

I understand that it's easy to give up after a few tries if you're trying to guess the composer or score and don't have a clue. However, it's different with track titles. If you have an Amazon page open, for example, with the complete track listing for the soundtrack that you have already guessed correctly, you could just go through it step by step if there were no limitations.....e.g. "is it main titles"? no, is it "donald steals the umbrella"? no, is it "the pissing contest"? no etc. untill you finally hit it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Alright, it's time for yet another edition of the game! There is a theme to this. But I'll set it up differently... I won't tell the theme. I leave it to you to identify the theme for 3 points! You can get a fair idea of the theme just by listening to all the clips wink

I know that 19 clips are a little too much but I really needed that many to do justice to the theme wink
    As usual the theme is something connected to the track title or movie/album title (and for one of the clips-- something about the movie).

I know there's a difference in opinion about points for track title, but if you figure out the theme you'll find it easy to nail the track. However there are about 5 of them where the track title doesn't connect to the theme. I hope it will not be difficult to get those. rolleyes

OK, here they are. Identify the composer, score and track for 1 point each. Answers by PM as usual.

Clip 01
    Clip 02
    Clip 03
    Clip 04
    Clip 05
    Clip 06
    Clip 07
    Clip 08
    Clip 09
    Clip 10
    Clip 11
    Clip 12
    Clip 13
    Clip 14
    Clip 15
    Clip 16
    Clip 17
    Clip 18

And a bonus (still connected to the theme) for 3 points. Just identify the score.
    Bonus Clip 19

That's 3 + 18*3 + 3 = 60 points to play for smile

Hope you have fun with it! Once you get the theme (and there's a pretty strong connection between the cues wink ) you can score huge! punk
    I'll let this run till next Friday evening (US time).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Woohoo, new game!!!

Will give the clips a swirl this eve when I have done my daily reading. slant

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WOW! I am looking forward to study this game's statistics as i really think it's one of the toughest (if not THE) games ever to have passed from mt and sr together! shocked At least to me anyway.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For 5 bonus points will I or won't I play this new game? dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    WOW! I am looking forward to study this game's statistics as i really think it's one of the toughest (if not THE) games ever to have passed from mt and sr together! shocked At least to me anyway.

Oh come on, Demetris! I thought the same about Franz's game initially.

This one has plenty of composer signatures. Get the theme and use it!
    There are about 10 composers with academy awards in this one (not that it means anything these days tongue )