• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    I still don't hear/see the theme. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    You'll smack your own bottom, for not realizing it sooner, when you find out what the theme is.

Peter moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Alright, it's time for yet another edition of the game! There is a theme to this. But I'll set it up differently... I won't tell the theme. I leave it to you to identify the theme for 3 points! You can get a fair idea of the theme just by listening to all the clips wink

I know that 19 clips are a little too much but I really needed that many to do justice to the theme wink
    As usual the theme is something connected to the track title or movie/album title (and for one of the clips-- something about the movie).

I know there's a difference in opinion about points for track title, but if you figure out the theme you'll find it easy to nail the track. However there are about 5 of them where the track title doesn't connect to the theme. I hope it will not be difficult to get those. rolleyes

OK, here they are. Identify the composer, score and track for 1 point each. Answers by PM as usual.

Clip 01
    Clip 02
    Clip 03
    Clip 04
    Clip 05
    Clip 06
    Clip 07
    Clip 08
    Clip 09
    Clip 10
    Clip 11
    Clip 12
    Clip 13
    Clip 14
    Clip 15
    Clip 16
    Clip 17
    Clip 18

And a bonus (still connected to the theme) for 3 points. Just identify the score.
    Bonus Clip 19

That's 3 + 18*3 + 3 = 60 points to play for smile

Hope you have fun with it! Once you get the theme (and there's a pretty strong connection between the cues wink ) you can score huge! punk
    I'll let this run till next Friday evening (US time).

Just a reminder. I'll post the theme later this evening so if you want to get the 3 points for it you'll have to pm me before that. Here are all the hints passed thus far-

This one has plenty of composer signatures. Get the theme and use it!
    There are about 10 composers with academy awards in this one (not that it means anything these days tongue )

If you know a cue, you kind-of know something about the previous cue and the next cue winkwinkwink
    That's the biggest hint I'll give!

OK I'll simplify it for you folks to get the theme-
    Listen to #2, #6, #7, #13, #14 and then #15
    Figure out what's happening (to the music) and you have your theme wink

How is it that each cue tells something about the adjoining cues? They're all in a specific sequence! You do notice certain influences in those cues. What would one have to be doing to encounter those influences? Answer that question and you have the theme!

About clip #2
    I thought 2 would be easy to get. It's a fairly recent movie and the composer has gotten much flak within the film score community (not for this movie though) in the last few years.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be difficult (only 4, 7, 9, 10, 14 and 19 are difficult) but it appears that I have mis-judged. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    Just a reminder. I'll post the theme later this evening so if you want to get the 3 points for it you'll have to pm me before that.

shocked No! No! shocked
    Just let the game run!
    I wanna take a shot later on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Just a reminder. I'll post the theme later this evening so if you want to get the 3 points for it you'll have to pm me before that.

shocked No! No! shocked
    Just let the game run!
    I wanna take a shot later on.

Ah well, no fun if people find it very tough. Anyway the theme is only for 3 points. There's still 57 points to play for.
    Should I post the theme perhaps in a few hours...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    I'll go ahead with mentioning the theme (it's only 3 points) so that everyone can have better chances at identifying the clips.

The Theme...
    As mentioned earlier the clips are in sequence. Each clip gives a clue about the ones surrounding it. I was really hoping for folks to notice a lot of ethnic influences in the themes. There were plenty of them! You can figure out the world region for cues #2, 6, 7, 13, 14, 15. You'll notice that you're encountering influences from all over the world and specifically from the west towards the east (in the order of the clips)!

The theme is:
    travelling across the world/ globetrotting/ journey towards the east cool

Perhaps now it will be easier. Try to figure out the ethnic regions. Get the composer from the signatures. If you get a cue right, then you know that the previous and next cues have some association with the neighboring countries.
    Most of the album/track titles have something to do with countries, cities, travel...
    There's only one cue which doesn't have a connection with album/track title but instead, it's the setting of the movie that's the connection.

The bonus cue has an ethnic connection but there's something about the album title that completes the theme, rather than the world region. It's by an obscure composer and probably his only commercial score release. He shares a common last name (not a relative) with a film music legend.

I hope more folks will take part now! shame
    Congrats to Antineutrino, plindboe and franz_conrad for figuring out the theme! punk

Happy listening and working-out! smile I'll let this run till Friday evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    Bump!
    Any takers? smile
  1. I'm going to go and figure the cues out now.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can't figure out the ones I almost had.... crazy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008 edited
    A complete disaster. I know one track, one score, and probably one composer, so we´re talking about 6 points here at best. For the rest I can say that I´m almost 100 % certain that I never heard it before, so I can´t even guess. What a hard game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'll give it a try tomorrow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Update:

Bregt and Peter add more but someone else storms into the lead shocked shocked

franz_conrad 33
    plindboe 23
    Bregt 12
    Antineutrino 10

Bregje wrote
    I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Yay, that's the spirit! smile

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    A complete disaster. I know one track, one score, and probably one composer, so we´re talking about 6 points here at best. For the rest I can say that I´m almost 100 % certain that I never heard it before, so I can´t even guess. What a hard game.

Just give it a shot! Also check the hints I gave earlier. Many of them are work-out-able.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    shocked

23 and 33?
    Aaaargh!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, how naive I was. I thought my 23 points was enough to ensure victory, 5 minutes later all my dreams were crushed.

Peter cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll send in my answers soon, though I seriously doubt I'll get more than 10 points.

Loved some of the clips BhelPuri, I'm sure I've never heard them before and will look forward to finding out where they're from?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm gonna ban some people. angry crazy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I'm gonna ban some people. angry crazy

I think you mean just ONE particular person?! cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nah, all my competitors from the past games. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Definitely me then.

biggrin

(Bregt is my rival for GTS games... I really must try them more.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregt pulls out a stunner and gets the composer for one of the hardest clips by figuring the signature. Take a bow! punk

franz_conrad 33
    plindboe 23
    Bregt 15
    Antineutrino 10

Timmer wrote
    I'll send in my answers soon, though I seriously doubt I'll get more than 10 points.

Loved some of the clips BhelPuri, I'm sure I've never heard them before and will look forward to finding out where they're from?

Thanks! You know what... after I decided on the clips I searched scorereviews and maintitles to see if people knew some of these. I found that you'd know quite a number of them wink

I'll add some hints for folks-

I'm surprised that no one got anything about #8. The movie was a cult classic... great fun, hilarious one-liners. There was a remake of it a few years back. You might have seen the composer at the last Oscar awards.

#10 Not many know this composer. He's a veteran at these kind of scores (even if it isn't his primary profession). The movie is a biography of a famous person who died in 2005.

#11 That's some fantastic, virtuoso performance! Try to identify the artist playing the instrument and lookup his IMDB credits

#12 You can get the composer easily but I won't say that it's easy to nail the work. This movie was based on a book.

#13 What country do you think it is from in the first few seconds? Can you make out what the chorus is saying? The movie (Oscar nominated wink) title is in the chorus wink

#14 is about a character who will return to the big screen this year smile
  2. #14 then is either about John Rambo, Indiana Jones, Batman, one of the Kids from the Chronicles of Narnia, a character from Harry Potter, the Hulk, the girls from Sex and the City, Maxwell Smart, Hellboy or Mulder and Scully. That sure narrows it down! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    #14 then is either about John Rambo, Indiana Jones, Batman, one of the Kids from the Chronicles of Narnia, a character from Harry Potter, the Hulk, the girls from Sex and the City, Maxwell Smart, Hellboy or Mulder and Scully. That sure narrows it down! wink

LOL! I didn't realize there were so many remakes in the offing shocked
    But then which of those have been to the country that the cue is about (the first few seconds)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    #14 then is either about John Rambo, Indiana Jones, Batman, one of the Kids from the Chronicles of Narnia, a character from Harry Potter, the Hulk, the girls from Sex and the City, Maxwell Smart, Hellboy or Mulder and Scully. That sure narrows it down! wink

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri,

# 8 was one of the easiest one's there.......at least for me! cool ....not quite as easy as # 3 though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    What worries me is that from the clips I definitely know I just don't remember what they are...
    that happened the last couple of games as well. It's like I'm losing my filmmusic memory or something?
    I'll send in my guesses today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Is it a good idea to start a new topic for each new fortcoming game and name it Guess the Score Game Part xx, followed by the username of the creator? Some advantages woul be that the clips are always in the first post of the topic, so no need to bump huge posts, plus it would be easier to search through if we had multiple topics. Each game spans several pages, so I think that is very appropiate.

So, if no oneelse has a real problem with it, I'd prefer it to try that next time. smile
    Kazoo
  3. Sure. Perhaps if we reference the last thread at the start of the next, and lock the old thread, that would work?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Is it a good idea to start a new topic for each new fortcoming game and name it Guess the Score Game Part xx, followed by the username of the creator? Some advantages woul be that the clips are always in the first post of the topic, so no need to bump huge posts, plus it would be easier to search through if we had multiple topics. Each game spans several pages, so I think that is very appropiate.

So, if no oneelse has a real problem with it, I'd prefer it to try that next time. smile

I like that Bregt, good idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And here I was thinking that this was the ONE place on the net where a topic was put neatly and tidily in ONE single thread (unlike a certain other board).....oh, the humanity!!

Seriously, I have no problem with each game getting its own thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

Yeap, go ahead!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.